Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/12/2006 1:20:45 PM EDT
Does anyone know where I can get a 2" fake suppressor for my Carbon 15 9mm pistol? I found one in the AR15 pictures forum on hop0626 's AR15 shorty, but he hasn't replied to his message. Any help would be much appreciated!

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=122&t=245757&page=3
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 2:04:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Dunno for sure, maybe try this guy:

http://www.spikestactical.com
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 2:37:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Why would you want a "fake" suppressor, when you could get something functional.  Try a Noveske Krink brake. It looks like a small suppressor but really does help the operation of the gun. It’s not NFA taxable.

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:53:46 AM EDT
[#3]
I don't think the KX3 will work for 9mm. The hole would be too tight.

It did make my 10.5 inch 5.56mm go from an erratic 650rpm to a very stable 750rpm. I think the primary benefit of them is:

1. They add some gas delay which helps reliability of short barrels.

2. They do direct some sound forward, but I think reason #1 is more significant.

BUT, the good news is that they are an excellent flash hider!

Check out my tests -- 11.5 inch barrel, high flash Federal XM193 ammo:

A2

KX3 -- notice 'Dragon's Breath' flame.

Phantom
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:00:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Awsome pics guy....................I was thinking of putting a phantom bushy
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:36:58 AM EDT
[#5]
The KX3 has a cone inside the unit. This cone can be cut at the top of the cone so the diameter can be modified to what ever caliber you need. So a 6.8SPC, .308, .45 or 9mm can be made to work.

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:38:25 PM EDT
[#6]
nobody-really- Are you just using the Bushmaster thread adapter to attach the Noveske?
I've got one ordered for my Carbon pistol and was wondering about the longevity of the bearings that hold the thread adapter on when using a Noveske. Have you noticed any bulging\distorting of the dimples on the barrel where the bearings seat?

rsilvers- Your second pic really brings the "Flaming Pig" logo to life.

Link Posted: 3/14/2006 8:33:57 AM EDT
[#7]
No adapter. It's not a good way to go.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 9:46:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Great info and pictures!
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 10:49:58 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
No adapter. It's not a good way to go.

Would you care to elaborate please? Does she like to go flying off down range?
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 12:47:23 PM EDT
[#10]
I have only seen one adapter. It was a little bit loose when mounted. So I did not have much confidence with it.

1. Basically it adds weight and length to what ever you might put on your barrel.

2. There is NO way in hell you would use it for a suppressor. Any amount of play or error in alignment and you would get a baffle strike.

3. It is just one more part that can fail and in the end it doesn’t need to be there at all.

4. For the price of the adapter you could have your barrel threaded.

It’s just not a good choice.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 12:50:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Oh and I measured a aperture in a Noveske KFH Krink brake and it was 10mm. I would think that would be enough for a 9mm bullet to pass through.

I had the KFH handy and my only KX-3 is mounted on a gun and was not readily available.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 1:12:01 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I have only seen one adapter. It was a little bit loose when mounted. So I did not have much confidence with it.

1. Basically it adds weight and length to what ever you might put on your barrel.

2. There is NO way in hell you would use it for a suppressor. Any amount of play or error in alignment and you would get a baffle strike.

3. It is just one more part that can fail and in the end it doesn’t need to be there at all.

4. For the price of the adapter you could have your barrel threaded.

It’s just not a good choice.

Yeah, I'd agree with all that for the most part. Well, maybe not #4 as the adapter only cost me
approx $34 and I don't know of anyone that'll thread a bbl for that little of an amount. Not in OH at least. Hell, if you do know please tell me as I've got some other work for them.
I'm actually looking forward to doing this more now that there's a question of how well it'll work. I'll be sure to post my findings for future reference.
BTW- Thanks for the reply.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 1:38:50 PM EDT
[#13]
OK, maybe you couldn't get your barrel threaded for 35 bucks.

If you have some barrels you need threaded I'd be happy to do it for you. We've a got a real nice CNC lathe for that kind of work.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 1:44:27 PM EDT
[#14]
I have a carbon 15 pistol.  Bought it during the ban brand new and recently had the new kit put on with the covered front barrel grip and top rail with sights.  

I have the quick detach compensator/flash hider.

It worked great, sliding off and on easily, fitting tight.  Just a tiny tiny bit of movement.  

I sent my pistol back to Bushmaster because it was not ejecting the spent shells.  Got it back and it works flawlessly.  BUT, now the quick detach is getting stuck on and is hard to put it on in the first place.  Feels like the end of the barrel had carbon build up on it or something.  It will come off and go on, but it takes a new specialty tool and a lot of force.

I would also like to get the end of my barrel threaded for a flash hider.  But then again I probably ought to just get the 11.5" barrel put on mine and have it threaded.

By the way I use a Phantom 2 flash hider.  It tends to work perfectly about every 3rd round.  Not sure why.  One day I'll upgrade to the Noveske!
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:39:08 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I have a carbon 15 pistol.  Bought it during the ban brand new and recently had the new kit put on with the covered front barrel grip and top rail with sights.  

I have the quick detach compensator/flash hider.

It worked great, sliding off and on easily, fitting tight.  Just a tiny tiny bit of movement.  

I sent my pistol back to Bushmaster because it was not ejecting the spent shells.  Got it back and it works flawlessly.  BUT, now the quick detach is getting stuck on and is hard to put it on in the first place.  Feels like the end of the barrel had carbon build up on it or something.  It will come off and go on, but it takes a new specialty tool and a lot of force.

This is what I was curious about. After several hundred rounds I noticed the adapter was very difficult to take off and put on. I noticed that the lead edge, towards the muzzle, was developing a bulge. As if the entire unit was being pushed forward and the bearings holding it on were deforming the dimples they seat inside of on the bbl.
A good cleaning of the bbl and the adapter helped a smidge. What made it better was a file put to the bulge too bring it back to the same diameter as the bbl. No problems since then. Of course I'm now using a Vortex on a BM adapter, not the original compensator.

A pic to illustrate my statement. The blue line is an approx outline of the area deformed and filed down. You can see that the dimple is now oblong and not round as it originally was.

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:40:38 AM EDT
[#16]
Wow, I think I've got the same problem.  What is up with that?  You should post that on the BM Industry page.

Maybe we could get BM to replace the barrels with threaded tips!

thats definitely a "design" issue.  
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 9:58:34 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I'm actually looking forward to doing this more now that there's a question of how well it'll work. I'll be sure to post my findings for future reference.

You make it sound like it will be:

"Hey this doesn't work!  What a great opportunity for me to solve this extremely interesting conundrum."

When those of us that know you know that sailors will be blushing and looking for the exits.

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:48:03 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You make it sound like it will be:

"Hey this doesn't work!  What a great opportunity for me to solve this extremely interesting conundrum."

When those of us that know you know that sailors will be blushing and looking for the exits.

My world has no anger in it at all. The Noveske will work or not and I'll calmly approach
and deal with either situation as it presents itself. I have no idea where you've gotten
the impression that I'll lay hell-on-earth if things don't work out.

Link Posted: 3/17/2006 10:21:02 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

saawheet
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top