Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/6/2003 11:37:31 AM EDT
Anyone know about this barrel I saw?
It looks like a preban Colt HBAR but has FN markings between the sight and muzzle. Likely an M16 takeoff.
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 11:40:57 AM EDT
[#1]
FN anything are military only, what you see will most likely a stolen military property.
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 1:44:30 PM EDT
[#2]
There have been some actual, marked, FN barrels on the flea-bay recently. I *think* they were marked 1/7.
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 2:14:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Seen them at the local gun shows as well. They are Govt. profile barrels and 1 in 7. All preban features. The one I saw was pretty new. Might have been 5 fingered but who knows.

Looked just the one on my FN M16A2 when I had one.
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 2:51:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Guys, Guys. My question was about the profile and its purpose for US troops. I have never seen one like it. I wonder if it was experimental, for marksmanship or sniping?

This is a good board with lots of good info, but there always seems to be some guy that hijacks the original post and sends it off on some BS tangent.
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 4:34:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
[red]Anyone know about this barrel I saw?[/red]
It looks like a preban Colt HBAR but has FN markings between the sight and muzzle. Likely an M16 takeoff.
View Quote

This is what you posted.  

Quoted:
Guys, Guys. My question was about the profile and its purpose for US troops. [red]I have never seen one like it.[/red] I wonder if it was experimental, for marksmanship or sniping?

This is a good board with lots of good info, but there always seems to be some guy that hijacks the original post and sends it off on some BS tangent.
View Quote

Now you say you never seen one like it. I know my english is bad but I think you are back paddling.  There are sellers on the market selling so called FN parts, but unless you have a FN stamping on the part, it isn't a FN part.  FN contract parts to sub contractors to produce some contractor will sell their parts to other distributors and those distributors will advertise those parts as FN parts.  if you seen a barrel with FN marking on it then it is a military barrel which has been lefted from the Army.
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 4:59:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Mr. Lee, I think the phrase you are looking for is LIFTED! As in, to lift an remove.

Further comments from you are of no use to me in my quest to find the history of FN produced Heavy Barrels for M16s or AR15s.

Please find someone else to bother.
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 5:05:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Was it an HBAR or an A2 profile?

Link Posted: 10/6/2003 5:13:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Well, it looks like I jumped the gun on this post. I did try the search function first but came up empty. I did a web search and ended up back here. And the answer is:
The current generation of military M-16’s and civilian AR-15 models differ from the originals in many ways, reflecting the improvements and refinements of the rifle over the last 30 years. Current Military Specifications (Mil-Spec) for the rifle’s barrel is for a heavy barrel (HBAR), replacing the original lightweight barrel which was prone to overheating and bending.
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 5:45:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Well, it looks like I jumped the gun on this post. I did try the search function first but came up empty. I did a web search and ended up back here. And the answer is:
The current generation of military M-16’s and civilian AR-15 models differ from the originals in many ways, reflecting the improvements and refinements of the rifle over the last 30 years. Current Military Specifications (Mil-Spec) for the rifle’s barrel is for a heavy barrel (HBAR), replacing the original lightweight barrel which was prone to overheating and bending.
View Quote

Where did you find this gem?  This seems to be referring to the switch from the A1 'pencil' barrel to the A2 'heavy ahead of the front sight tower', not to a full HBAR profile.

What were the markings on the barrel you saw?

Some units who do [i]lots[/i] of full auto with the M4 have spec'd a heavier contour in the 14.5, but I have never heard of this in the full 20" length.  I'd like to know more...
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 6:40:24 PM EDT
[#10]
This is an HBAR:
[img]http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/barrel-assemblies/Images/abbl-20a.jpg[/img]

and this is a military profile A2:
[img]http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/barrel-assemblies/Images/pbbl20a2a.jpg[/img]

As you can see they are both 'heavy' in front of the front sight post (just under 3/4") but under the handguards the government profile A2 is narrower both to reduce weight and to allow attachment of the M203.  The HBAR on the other hand is left at the full, unreduced diameter that it was as a barrel blank, about 1" in diameter.

Edited to add that for somebody who apparently doesn't know jack about these rifles, you gave Chen an awful hard time for providing accurate information about the barrels that FN produces for M16s.
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 6:49:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Mr. Lee, I think the phrase you are looking for is LIFTED! As in, to lift an remove.

Further comments from you are of no use to me in my quest to find the history of FN produced Heavy Barrels for M16s or AR15s.

Please find someone else to bother.
View Quote

Lighten up, Francis!
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 6:59:12 PM EDT
[#12]
FYI Buttheads: That little gem came from this web site.
http://www.ar15.com/content/docs/primer/

I thought I knew A2s too. Then I found out someone knew more than me.

Excuse me Francis. I thought that is what this forum was for...to learn. I don't need legal advice when I ask a simple question.
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 7:06:29 PM EDT
[#13]
[whacko]
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 8:05:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
FYI Buttheads: That little gem came from this web site.
http://www.ar15.com/content/docs/primer/

I thought I knew A2s too. Then I found out someone knew more than me.

Excuse me Francis. I thought that is what this forum was for...to learn. I don't need legal advice when I ask a simple question.
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 8:47:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes, this forum exists so that people can learn.  In addition to the realization that you don't know as much as you thought, you are also learning that when you shit on a respected member of this community because his response didn't match what you expected, everybody else is going to think you're an ass and treat you as such.
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 11:33:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top