Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/13/2003 7:40:58 AM EDT
What can you tell me about the process? Is there a minimum number of weapons that need to be bought and sold each year to keep the license? Does anyone here have a FFL and live in NY because that's where I live. If you don't get the license, do you get the $200 application fee back? If you've already been fingerprinted (as I have, in TRIPLICATE, for my pistol permit) do you still need to have it done again?
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 7:17:41 AM EDT
[#1]
No one???
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 7:34:39 AM EDT
[#2]
You will need to send finger prints and picture ID with your application, and you need a store front. {a place of business} About the $200 application fee back, don't know. Check with your local BATF office.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 8:08:47 AM EDT
[#3]
[url]http://www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/nlc/index.htm[/url]

Yes, you'll need to do the fingerprint procedure again.  You'll need a storefront (no FFL sales out of your home.  This used to be legal, but not anymore).

There are no sales quotas.  Sell 1000 rifles or sell none...ATF doesn't care as long as you fill out your paperwork properly.  

The $200 fee is non-refundable.  Do your homework before you apply.  If you don't think you qualify, don't bother with the app.

The link above will answer most of your questions.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 8:55:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
There are no sales quotas.  Sell 1000 rifles or sell none...ATF doesn't care as long as you fill out your paperwork properly.  
View Quote

Have to wonder about that given that the renewal forms specifically asks how many firearms were received and disposed of each year of the previous three year license period.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 10:15:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

You'll need a storefront (no FFL sales out of your home.  This used to be legal, but not anymore).

View Quote

Not true. You have to obey all local and state ordinances including getting a business license, sales tax license etc. If the zoning laws in your town/city allows it, you can sell guns out of your home, primarily if you are just taking and filling orders.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 3:28:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Meet zoning, tax exempt license, etc, huh ?

Does that mean that I can get a Manufacturing license (C2 or C3) out of my basement, since I have my machine shop in my basement and live in the country where there is no zoning and I can open my door and test fire what I have just manufactured ?

If I have a manufacturer's license, does that mean I can take one of the DEWATS and build it up so it shoots like it did when it came out of the factory ?
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 5:56:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You'll need a storefront (no FFL sales out of your home.  This used to be legal, but not anymore).

View Quote

Not true. You have to obey all local and state ordinances including getting a business license, sales tax license etc. If the zoning laws in your town/city allows it, you can sell guns out of your home, primarily if you are just taking and filling orders.
View Quote

That isnt true. I have asked ATF about this and they specifically state that if you try to get an FFL you HAVE to have a storefront. The FFL's that work out of their homes are grandfathered in. I tried this route and was declined. Only reason, I was wanting to work out of my home.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 12:18:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Would you please provide a citation where you found this statement?
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 12:21:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

That isnt true. I have asked ATF about this and they specifically state that if you try to get an FFL you HAVE to have a storefront.
View Quote

Provide citation, please, other than someone said...  Your state or local laws might have not allowed it.

I KNOW of people who recently got their FFL doing business out of their house...
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 8:24:49 AM EDT
[#10]
There is so much confusion on the storefront issue.
All Clinton did was add a requirement that the business "did not violate state/local laws".

Hell, the current application still has "HOTEL" as one of the options to check off describing the place of business!!

Also, the $200 application fee IS refundable.

Link Posted: 6/22/2003 2:48:33 PM EDT
[#11]
BATF in Indianapolis, IN repied via telephone that storefront is not necesarry, but must meet zoning.
BATF on-line rules say that you need a "walk-in"door open to public. Confusing and discouraging.
Local BATF,OTOH, says they are looking for a legitimate business, or at least a legitimate attempt to make a profit.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top