Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/14/2005 3:24:26 PM EDT
A couple of weeks ago at the range my rifle stopped ejecting casings on a regular basis. After getting home and taking it apart I noticed the extractor spring had broken. Off to the local gun store I went and picked up a new kit. Extractor, spring, rubber thing inside the spring, gas rings, pin that holds the extractor on and some other parts.

Anyway, the spring and little rubber piece do not 'lock' into place on the extractor. I have to basically balance the spring and rubber piece while I put the bolt on.  Is this supposed to be that way or is the spring supposed to lock down into the hole?

If it is supposed to lock into the hole, how does one go about compressing it to get it in there.

Thanks for any and all help.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 6:56:19 AM EDT
[#1]
From what I've seen you push down on the spring and at the same time turn it and it should snap in place.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 7:00:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Yes, it should snap into place.

For better reliability, get yerself an enhanced extractor spring from Wolff.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 2:02:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the help and info. Ill be trying to twist it into place tonight.

I would get a wolf but I have already spent the money on a DPMS parts kit so we'll see how that works before I get anything else.

Thanks again
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 3:50:45 PM EDT
[#4]
The larger end of the extractor spring snaps into the extractor. I've seen people compress the extractor spring between a tabletop and the extractor to seat it, as well as using pliers to do it.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top