Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Member Login

Site Notices
4/18/2021 9:59:29 PM
Posted: 10/6/2012 9:55:55 AM EDT
Does anyone have an opiinion on the extractor spring donut addition? Is this modification an improvement only for full auto or is it one of those things we all get bored and look for things to change/modify our toys   with that in reality adds nothing to the functioning of our toys? Your opinions appreciated.
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 9:58:52 AM EDT
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 10:49:14 AM EDT
The o-ring adds pressure for extraction. I have found it only useful in short gas systems like my pistols. Or in new barrels with tight chambers. If it ain't causing you problems now, why f with it.
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 9:55:57 PM EDT
Unnecessary.  Every one of the AR's I have ever built in the last 20 years have never had an extraction problem.  Why overload the extractor when you don't need to.
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 5:53:16 AM EDT
^^^^^^^^
+1

The O ring is rarely needed, maybe in new tight chamber with steel case ammo, or a SBR/pistol build.  I keep a few in the spares box, it's a .90 part.
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 7:55:15 AM EDT
It is also a major pain to install, as it adds so much tension to the extractor that holding the extractor on while reinstalling it is a challenge to do by hand.

IF you have problems with extraction on a consistent basis, go ahead and try it.

I'll note that cheap #60 O-rings will not do the job that quality Viton rings do.  The cheap, plumbing rings squish in nothing flat, and thus do nothing for extractor tension.  The real deal isn't expensive, but I wouldn't install one unless you really need it.
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 10:32:14 AM EDT
Thanks for the replies men.
Top Top