Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/11/2006 10:57:17 AM EDT
I have searched this forum and there seems to be a great number of opinions and experiences with extended charging handles.  After taking a carbine class and learning how to run my m4 more efficiently as a lefty I decided to add an extended charging handle to my rifle. After several matches and countless hours of dry practice I sheared the roll pin that holds the latch to the handle. It seems to me that regardless of material that the charging handle is made of and the brand of latch used the roll pin is the weakest link. High school physics says that the longer the lever arm the more force that can be applied. I would like to know if this has happened to any one else. In the mean time I’m carrying a spare charging handle in my range bag.

Chris Q
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 11:46:37 AM EDT
[#1]
It hasn't happened to me personally, but I do see some companys now advertising using stainless steel pins instead of the normal roll pins.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 10:31:53 AM EDT
[#2]
I've had a Badger Ordnance TacLatch on mine for a couple of years now.  It hasn't failed, but you're story leaves me wondering...  Might need to check mine out in the near future to see how it's wearing.  

When I removed the old latch, which was made of aluminum, I was surprised to find the roll pin hole egg'd out.  But the roll pin was ok then.  Hmm, more crap to worry about.  

ETA:  Especially troubling considering that the BO TacLatch is steel vs the original aluminum...

Sly
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top