Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/24/2013 5:53:59 PM EDT
Quite frankly, I've never thought the ar15 was a particularly attractive platform. With all the bumps, tabs and flaps along with the protruding magazine, this is a rifle that only it's military mother could love. Clearly, the ar shares nothing in the looks department with the elegant lines of a sako hunting rifle.
When I finally decided to purchase an ar, it was based on the utility of the weapon along with its military proficiency. That is when the shit hit the fan.

My first ar was this one from DPMS. A traditional 16" A2 carbine.

Free float DD rail, lightweight profile DD barrel, eotech, yadda. The disease has set in.

And now I have made it uglier, with more bumps and tabs and fewer elegant lines and has unfortunately spawned another rifle thanks to leftover parts.

Is there a cure for this? I'm already looking for a 308.

Edit for picture thread. I was recently informed that if I wanted people to participate and share thier experiences, this should have been named a picture thread.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 6:01:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 6:07:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I like the first one better.
View Quote

Can't disagree
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 6:10:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Im building my first A2 carbine (KISS rifle), my 3rd AR, which will be done in a week or so and im already looking forward to my next one, a 20" "retro" A2 build... i keep telling myself that will be it but we all know thats bull
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 6:35:55 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

View Quote
for some (myself included), the preference is circular. from stock to minor mods, to more mods, to even more mods, to full on quad rails/ubr stocks/ AFG/ etc, then taking away some mods, taking away some more mods, and then finally back to basic stock form.

Not that theirs anything wrong with any stage mind you, so this isnt a dig at OP.

Link Posted: 10/24/2013 6:41:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

It definately looks better and cleaner, but does not handle better, or shoot more accurately.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 8:55:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
for some (myself included), the preference is circular. from stock to minor mods, to more mods, to even more mods, to full on quad rails/ubr stocks/ AFG/ etc, then taking away some mods, taking away some more mods, and then finally back to basic stock form.
Not that theirs anything wrong with any stage mind you, so this isnt a dig at OP.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

None taken.
Time and technology have been very good to the AR platform. Holographic red dot sights make aiming more efficient than an a2 carry handle aperture. The DD lite rail/ DD lightweight barrel combination improved the handling characteristics along with adding more mounting points. The UBR is heavier than an m4 stock, however it is alot more stable with a better cheek weld. The AFG is just that, an AFG.
I would not change one damn thing about my rifle. The fact that my AR is so ugly will hopefully solidify its status as a one of a kind weapon.
The only way I would go back to "basic stock form" is if I was feeling nostalgic.
I was also hoping that other posters here would share their BRD experiences with reasonable constructive criticism.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top