Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/13/2003 8:55:14 PM EDT
Not what yall we thinking lol. No, but last time I shot LC XM193 (about 200 rounds) through my cousin's M4gery my eyes were burning. Never had that problem with any ammo before, and it was my 1st time shooting XM193. Is this normal?
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 9:13:01 PM EDT
[#1]
I've never head that problem shooting OR urinating.  Then again, when shooting on the rage, I ALWAYS wear eye protection.  I have seen multiple instances where mere inches came between a shrugged off incident and permanent loss of eysight.

I HAVE seen an M16 blow up and injure part of a guy's face.  Had he been a lefty, it would have been ugly.

Are you shooting lefty or righty?  Can you tell if any gasses are leaking out anywhere?  Did you shoot other ammo out of the same weapon and not have this problem?
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 8:15:03 AM EDT
[#2]
I just wear my regular glasses when I shoot since all ranges say I can instead of trying to balance safety glasses on top of my regular glasses. It wasn't anything wrong with the rifle, nor the ammo, because his eyes weren't burning afterwards. I mean to ask him what lot number he had, but I forgot. We only shot his M4gery that day, since he shoots XM193 exculsively. I mean my eyes weren't burning like fire, but it wasn't comfortable either. Oh,and Im a righty also.
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 8:46:28 AM EDT
[#3]
I wonder if it might be lube burning off. I noticed it once will using some PMC ammo, but during other times shooting the same ammo I have not noticed it. Maybe I had a little too much lube in it that one time and it was burning off causing nasty fumes.
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 10:27:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 1:25:56 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm no chemist....and certainly don't profess to know much about the materials contained in modern smokeless powders, but isn't ammonium nitrate a component in the mfg. of some powders? Or a by-product of powder combustion?
It may be that which offended you. I've noticed there is a strong ammonia smell after firing Q3131A. If you were shooting at an indoor range, or an enclosed outdoor station, the concentration of fumes may have caused your eye irritation........Just a thought....
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 7:42:24 PM EDT
[#6]
I think all the scenarios that have been mentioned could have been what caused it. It was an indoor range BTW. Does anyone know who makes a good pair of shooting glasses that fit over regular glasses? I can never find them for the life of me.
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 9:16:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Was there a brake on the rifle by any chance?
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 4:54:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Was there a brake on the rifle by any chance?
View Quote

No, but there was a Vortex Flash Suppressor
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 12:16:44 PM EDT
[#9]
At an indoor range...I felt some burning in my eyes when shooting SA surplus.  Also starting to gag on the smell after firing a mag.  Had to stand back to let it clear out.

I was wearing shooting glasses too.

Not sure if that helps...
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 11:55:56 PM EDT
[#10]
I wear glasses too. For shooting I use my prescription sport goggles-- which I also use for mountain biking in the woods-- they are tinted to "yellow/green apple" colour and are polarized.

Might be a dumb question but did you touch your face or eyes at all while shooting? That could cause irritation.

Yea, XM193 is a great powerful load. First time I used it I noticed a significant difference in muzzle flash and air pressure compression around my face...felt like a rabid toddler had punched me in the nose. It was probably enhanced by my 14.5" barrel and stubby stock which positions my body closer to the weapon.
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 8:49:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Hank,

No, I specfically remembered I did not touch my face. I make it a great habit not to while shooting.

I'm just going to do the most logical thing: Perform an experiment with another 200 or so rounds, it must be done in the interest of science. [heavy]
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top