Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/6/2003 7:59:16 PM EDT
What is everyone's opinion on Essential Arms AR15 Lowers? Any problems? I've seen them around for years, but never paid much attention to them. Now a guy at work has one for sale. Thanks for any help.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 4:15:32 PM EDT
[#1]
I have owned one Essential Arms receiver, and this is the same mold that is now used by DPMS for their cast receiver.  These were cast by Ruger, BTW.

I have seen many of these over the years.  Remember, Essential Arms never made rifles, just receivers (upper and lower) under the Essential Arms name, and rifle kits, less barrels, under the Essential Accessories name.  They never stocked barrels.

While I have seen some problems with completed rifles, none were due to the receiver.  The problems had to do with either poor assembly by whoever built the rifle, or poor quality parts.

In the late 80's, and on into the early 90's (they sold out to DPMS in '93)the Essential Arms lower was the cheapest on the market, at $59 each, or $55 if you bought several.  But cheap did not mean low quality!  Anyway, due to the low price, they attracted builders who were looking for bottom dollar only.  And these guys many times bought parts kits that were made from  worn out M16's.

I have never seen or heard of an Essential cast receiver breaking, cracking, or of any other problem.  The only negative comments I have heard are pertaining to the gray finish.  This is a moly gray approximately the same as the gray finish of USGI mags.  Essential promoted this as looking like the original M16 finish, and being superior to the black anodized finishes of other manufacturers.  So, unless both upper and lower were bought from them, there was a mismatch in color.  

Still, these are of very good quality, and I would have no reservations about buying one.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 4:47:14 PM EDT
[#2]
The big desirable quality to my mind is the fact that they (if built into a complete rifle before the crime bill took effect in 1994) are ALL PREBAN. I built my first rifle on one. The only detracting things about them are the color (easily fixed these days) and the raised fence around the mag release is differant than that of the M16. If you can find one reasonable, snatch it up.

IPSC_GUY sends
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 5:33:57 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a EA preban lower that I have with an M4 upper. I purchased a Jewell Trigger to go in the rifle. I could not get the trigger to reset when the bolt was held back and let go with the trigger depressed (the bolt stops half way). I am pretty mechanically inclined (have installed two JP Triggers with no problems), and could not get the Jewell to work, even after raising the disconnector by filing the safty bar for increased trigger travel. I swapped a JP trigger from one of my post ban receivers and got it to work in the EA Lower. I don't really like a single stage trigger in a combat rifle, but I can't stand the factory triggers. I am pretty sure that the lower is not mil-spec. And that is why the Jewell won't run in it. Other than that, it has been fine. The price was definitly right, other wise I couldn't have afforded to get into preban rifle. With an EA Lower, I have over 3k into the rifle (built it up over about a year). Hope this helps.

Paul :)
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 5:41:35 PM EDT
[#4]
It would depend on what I wanted to build with it.  If I was building a light weight carbine or something I think an Essential Arms would be awesome.  If I had a $2000-$2500 SPR upper without a home I wouldn't put it on a cast lower.  I'd find a nice, new forged lower if that was the case. [;)]

Link Posted: 6/7/2003 6:22:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 7:25:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top