Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/10/2003 5:10:34 PM EDT
OK, I got my Eotech 511 today and mounted it on my A3 top Bushy. Well I knew the front sight was going to be in the sight picture, but I thought it would not bother me. It bothers me.......

I'm looking at several options and would like opinions on options I've listed as well as suggestions to what products I may have overlooked.

I'm thinking about buying this and this For a total "retail" price of $194. I figure with these two products I can keep everything mounted and just flip up both iron sights when I want co-witnessing. I like the fact that the Bushy products will match, fit and finish wise. This combination leaves my Eotech down closer to the same plane as the bore, giving better accuracy.

The other option I'm considering is this. This mounts on my existing rail and gets the Eotech up over the top of the front sight, but it raises the Eotech a good (what) 3/8"-1/2" further above the bore. It's "retail" cost is $150.

My goal is getting the Bushy's front sight OUT of my picture when using the Eotech, but still having iron sights to use in an emergency.

Anybody want to tackle this?
Thanks in advance.

Link Posted: 1/10/2003 5:29:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Jethead,

Give it smetime, you will get use to it.  It did not bother me as much, because I can use the front sight as a reference point if the electronics failed.  keep the cash in your wallet. try not to let it burn a hole in it and see in about a month or two.  If you still are troubled by the front sight, a gas block and mount a flipper to it.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 5:36:11 PM EDT
[#2]
bvm,

I'm disappointed...after those pics I sent you...?!  Anyway, remember that the EOtech is parallax free meaning that you can ignore the front sight altogether and wherever that 1MOA dot is, that's where the round is going so the front sight really doesn't play much of a role.

On the other hand, if by some minute possibility, you should find yourself in trouble and needing iron sights, do you think you'll have time to raise both front and rear irons in time?

If you're gonna get a BUIS for the flat top, I would encourage you to get an ARMS #40 and not whatever that sight is on the Bushmaster website.

The lower the sight is to the plane of the bore, the easier it will be to be acurate at many ranges without much if any adjustment so mounting on a carry handle or swan sleeve will only raise the sight.

I would recommned that you go to the range and zero the sight then shoot with it for a while.  I think you'll find that the front sight post is a non-issue.

Drivie
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 5:40:01 PM EDT
[#3]
I know, I know, I'm going to the range tomorrow and get the Eotech sighted in. Hopefully I'll get used to the front sight. I don't know though I can be pretty anal when it comes to things like that.

I'm gonna put a few rounds through it and see what happens. Just looking for options NOW, should I decide to do something about it later.

Thanks for those pics Drive.
Link Posted: 1/11/2003 7:21:50 AM EDT
[#4]
I have the flip up rear sight and with it down I don't even notice the front sight.  If the electronics ever fail in the Eotech a quick flip of the sight and you keep rocking.
Link Posted: 1/11/2003 8:22:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Arms #40 is the way to go...The front iron sight issue was what prompted me to buy an ArmaLite ... and I have the GG&G flip up front.

I'll show it to you at the next VA shoot.

ww
Link Posted: 1/11/2003 9:51:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Ditto what SMGLee and Cruiser said.

I just entered the world of red dots with an EOTech on a flat top. I had it for a week before taking it to the range. Playing with it in the house I had myself convinced that the front sight was going to be a bother. The more I looked at the fs through the EOTech the more it bothered me.

Then on range day I was concentrating on the process of sighting in and never noticed the front sight. By the way the precision of the center dot at 100yd is impressive. After sighting in I was blasting at dirt clods and bits of wood to see how fast I could mount and fire. Never noticed the front sight was even there.

So do wait until after you do some shooting with your set up before spending the money on the folding front sight. You will probably find that you don't need it.
Link Posted: 1/11/2003 10:29:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Concentrate on the red dot at the range. You won't notice the front sight at all. You'll be surprised at how good it works.
Link Posted: 1/11/2003 3:50:33 PM EDT
[#8]
OK, I'm going to the range on Sunday 1-12-03 and I'll see how it goes before I buy anything.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top