Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/28/2013 7:09:23 AM EDT
Hello. I just procured a 553 from the EE here via trade & I finally had time to mount & take it out to play... Disappointing I turn it on, new surefire batteries & it looks as if the image disappears in the middle of the optic... You can clearly see it above & below, but not in the middle of the "window", it becomes distorted... No visible cracks, but looks as if the center glass is blurred... I sent an email to EoT, just waiting for a response. Ill try calling next week if I don't hear back. Anybody seen this before, point me in the right direction...? Thanks for looking

Edit. My other Eo dose not look/do this. Have a Happy Thanksgiving
Link Posted: 11/28/2013 7:37:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Try a different brand of battery.  Surefire does not make its own batteries.  They may be old and do not perform as well as a number if other brands.  There are comparison tests online.  I use Energizer Ultimate Lithium in all my optics and electronics.  They are always at the top of most of the tests. Also check the contacts for corrosion and clean them.
Link Posted: 11/28/2013 8:56:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Tried several brands, no improvement... Ive owned/issued several over the years, first time Ive experienced this. It looks as if there is a line(1/2 thickness of reticle), starts in lower left & goes up at about 30degrees to the right... Its all blurry w/in this band. You can see above or below clear as a bell... I guess Ill just give them a call next week, see what they recommend. Thanks for the looking.
Link Posted: 11/28/2013 9:07:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Bummer. Sounds like a seal issue. EOTech CS will help you.
Link Posted: 11/28/2013 9:42:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Is this a Law Guns SU 231 marked eotech? if it is and you send it to eotech for repair you may not see it again. They have returned some to the DoD as gubmint property. look into it before you do anything.
Link Posted: 11/28/2013 2:03:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Thankfully no, not purchased from LG. Looks new, at first I thought it may be counterfeit... Went to EoT site & it looks like the real thing, no doubt. I have never handled a fake, so Im not sure how accurate they are. Thinkin its just a bad one got through, guessing that's why it was up for sale/trade
Link Posted: 11/28/2013 2:15:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Not normal

Contact Eotech and the seller.
Link Posted: 11/28/2013 2:54:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Did teh seller disclose this problem?  If not, I'd be wanting to send it back to the trader, rather than a $150 bill with L3.
Link Posted: 11/28/2013 6:22:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Seems another Eo owner is experiencing a similar issue(on the sides)... Great sight, shit happens. Lets see how it turns out

As far as I know, the seller did not know there was an issue... Could have happened in shipping, I cant prove prior knowledge
Link Posted: 11/29/2013 5:05:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Had a buddy have a problem with his Eotech, what actually happened is he had a very convincing fake.  Hope your fate is not similar.
Link Posted: 11/29/2013 11:09:28 AM EDT
[#10]
That would indeed suck... Holding it side by side to a verifiable real EOT, there is no difference, 99.99% positive not counterfeit. Its gotta take a lil trip back for repair, I guess. If I have to drop $150 into it, Im at retail Time to start a new project and play the waiting game... Thanks for the replies guys, its appreciated

Never had this problem w/ irons
Link Posted: 11/29/2013 11:55:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That would indeed suck... Holding it side by side to a verifiable real EOT, there is no difference, 99.99% positive not counterfeit. Its gotta take a lil trip back for repair, I guess. If I have to drop $150 into it, Im at retail Time to start a new project and play the waiting game... Thanks for the replies guys, its appreciated

Never had this problem w/ irons
View Quote

I would contact the seller! But welcome to owning an EOTech  I've actually been very happy with the EXPS models though. No problems yet....knock on wood
Link Posted: 12/2/2013 6:06:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Received this from Eotech...
"The optic has been exposed to air on the inside and the holographic emulsion has degraded.  It will require factory repair.   Please submit the RMA link below and we will provide a repair quote.  Warranty service will be based on age so that is TBD."

It was just manufactured in 2011... Im hoping they cover the cost of repair, seems like a defective site. This thing is like brand new
Link Posted: 12/2/2013 8:17:33 AM EDT
[#13]
Another Eotech issue. Buy Aimpoint.
Link Posted: 12/2/2013 8:49:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Email response... "No Charge for this repair"
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 9:20:39 AM EDT
[#15]
Found my EOT on my porch today... Approx 1 week for repair, including shipping time. That's impressive in my book.  As soon as it thaws out, Ill take it out for a test fire. Hope its repaired
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 5:34:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Another Eotech issue. Buy Aimpoint.
View Quote

Another EOTech issue.  Buy an EOTech EXPS.

OP, you did the right thing and got it serviced under warranty.  EOTech stands behind their product.  More than I can say for a lot of other companies out there.  For the record Aimpoints fail too.  Ask any Soldier who's deployed with one.  You'll see as many deadlined Aimpoints (all models) in any given unit as you would EOTech and Trijicon ACOGs.  The early EOTechs even more so, but the company has been hard at work correcting those known issues.  And I wouldn't trust anyone's advice if they solely relied on any given optic without emphasizing the importance of mastering back-up irons.  But that's just me.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 5:11:35 AM EDT
[#17]
I have two XPS models that have done this same thing. Sucks. One is off at Eotech right now. Pulled the second one out of the safe as a back up unit and it was the same way. Too dim to be used. My Aimpoints on my other rifles worked though. These are from late 2009.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 10:59:52 AM EDT
[#18]
While the unit will be covered by warranty, it will be gone for a while. Another eotech problem thread.

Eliminate future issues and go with Aimpoint.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 12:34:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Unit was back in 8 days including weekend. Ive purchased or been issued almost everything. Fucked up my knees while at Carson w/ 4ID so was stuck in arms room for a while.., Ive seen ACOG & AIMPOINTS shit out also. It happens, I am impressed at how it was handled & how fast it came back. Just my experience w EOT.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 4:48:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Those are built tough enough to withstand shipping. I know this is a mute point but the seller is responsible to deliver the eotech in working condition to you. Had I sold you that item at the very least I would have split the repair cost, if not paid for the full repair cost.

I'm glad to here Eotech took care of it for free. Also glad to here their warranty doesn't just apply to the original owner!
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top