Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/11/2003 6:22:34 PM EDT
Just ordered & recieved my holosight..wow I am impressed. Awesome sight..cant wait to try it.
Wife did not divorce me over it so I guess I'm good to go. Anyone out there done any shooting with one of these over 100 yards?..
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 6:28:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, I hope you have better luck with your's than I did with mine.  I had mine for two weeks and the damn thing malfunctioned so now it is back at the factory being repaired.  However, I understand that this doesn't happen very often, and I still do love my EOTech 511 and would not trade it for anything else.  I just hope to get the damn thing back ASAP.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 6:36:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Geez that doesnt sound good.. what happened?
what distances did you try it at before it broke?.. thanx

bamaman
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 7:26:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Actually, I didn't even take it to the range yet because I was still waiting on a couple more things to come in for my rifle.  About 2 weeks after I had it, I thought I'd just try and play around with it, and the damn thing just wouldn't turn on anymore.  So I thought maybe it was the batteries although they were brand new too.  Well it wasn't the batteries but was some kind of defection.  So therefore I had to contact EOTech and send it in.  They still have it.  [:(]
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 7:50:19 PM EDT
[#4]
The first EOTech I bought had a streak in it.  It looked almost like water leaked in it somehow and left a dry trail.  I sent it back to EOTech and they replaced it with a brand new unit.  As long as they get it back within a year from purchase, they should take good care of you.  Enjoy it.  It is an awesome sight.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 7:53:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Love my EO!  You will too!  It's best attribute is quick sight picture and huge field of view.  I am on target before I realize it at CQB distances.  You can't miss with the thing.  Ads for far out shots........haven't gone much past 100yrds. with mine yet and it worked great imho.  I did not measure groups though.  I was shooting water jugs......he he he!
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 9:22:13 PM EDT
[#6]
I use mine on my patrol Colt AR15A3, and have found it is outstanding for CQB and similar type engagement.  On the range I don't shoot much farther than 100 yards, with an occasional outing to 200 yards.  The EOTech shines most when used in a CQB environment.  Room, alley and building clearing is mainly what I do with it.  I have found nothing to be better for this type of work.

I have no idea what type of shooting you do, but if it is within 100 yards or CQB style shooting, you will love it.  I've not heard of many issues with them.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 10:03:51 PM EDT
[#7]
I agree, there is no better optic, not even an Aimpoint, than an EOTech for close-quarter combat.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 7:27:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Does anyone have any pictures of what the display actually looks like?
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 5:19:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanx for the input guys..gonna go to the range this weekend and try it out.

bamaman
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 5:31:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Does anyone have any pictures of what the display actually looks like?
View Quote

[img]http://www.thermaldynamics.com/pictures/guns/reticle.jpg[/img]
Here you go.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 6:41:59 PM EDT
[#11]
That looks easy.  Now I want one.  I have a Colt M-4 with removable carry handle.  How easy is it to install/mount/zero one of those?
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 6:59:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Hmm that's a lot of dough to fork over compared to a $80 red dot.  What are the advantages?
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 7:23:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Well, comparing the EoTech to an $80 red-dot is not really fair.  The 500 and 550 series sights are mil-spec, waterproof and tough as nails.  If the lens is partially shattered or obstructed by mud, snow, or dirt the reticle will still be visible in the available piece of glass.  

[img]http://www.eotech-inc.com/images/obstruct.gif[/img]
The 1MOA dot makes a very precise aiming point while the 65MOA circle makes for quick target acquisition in CQB.

[img]http://www.calvert1.com/guns/cava3a.jpg[/img]

Link Posted: 6/14/2003 10:46:49 AM EDT
[#14]
The only thing I don't like about the Holosight is that your vision must be close to perfect to see the laser reticle image.

I am old, and nearsighted.  When I first got it, I took my glasses off to read the instructions on installing batteries etc. and turned it on.  Looking through the Holosight, all I could see was a red blur.  No reticle, just a big blob of grainy light.  Of course with my glasss on, it was perfect.  It is not like an Aimpoint where there is a red dot that is unforgiving of poor eyesight.  But it is a really trick sight, and works very well.

Has anyone had a problem with battery life?  Mine seems to discharge the batteries even when turned off. I have been keeping the batteries out of the sight unless I am preparing for a range session.  Anyone else have a problem with this?
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 3:33:51 PM EDT
[#15]
I haven't run my battery down yet.  I haven't used it that much, but it has been on my gun for several years and is still going strong.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 7:50:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Geez Chen watch out for your footing.  If that's the stage at Rauhagges, I cleaned about 2 pounds of live ammo off it getting ready for End of Trail.  You name it we found it.

Also is that a good picture of co-witnessing is supposed to look like??  and is the rear sight folded doen or ??
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 10:27:04 PM EDT
[#17]
I think when you co-wittness you look through the Holo and onto the front sight post.  Not sure.

I dont use mine in co-wittness, i have a carry handle and just mount it on top... 200m targets hit JUST dandy and CQB is a dream.

I like to have the least removable (cough... misplaceable... cough...) stuff on my rifle.. But i'm old fashioned like that

Kick ass site... good prices (shameless plug coming... wait... wait.... OH! www.cmmginc.com is the best place i've ever dealt with).
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 11:46:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Geez Chen watch out for your footing.  If that's the stage at Rauhagges, I cleaned about 2 pounds of live ammo off it getting ready for End of Trail.  You name it we found it.

Also is that a good picture of co-witnessing is supposed to look like??  and is the rear sight folded doen or ??
View Quote

Yes PaDanby,  It was taken at Bill Murphy's range.

This is what the reticle looks like on the front iron, of course the rear back up iron will sit perfectly in the picture.

Hope to run into you at the range someday.  Take care.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 3:17:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Fuego, it is NOT a problem.  I am near-sighted, and with my glasses off, can read just fine.  But the reticle is blurry with my glasses off.  When I put my glasses on, as I need them to see farther away, the reticle is sharp.

Mine takes AA's and battery life is not a problem.  

I like mine so much, I ordered two more, and they have been shipped.
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 6:15:58 PM EDT
[#20]
If you go to the Eotech website they will have  sight picture for you to look thru. Take a look at the archery holosight sight picture to see what it looks like on a critter.
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 6:24:15 PM EDT
[#21]
I have their sight mounted on S&W my 44 mag and routinly shoot it at 100 yds. It is a great combination for hunting. The small dot is great for a tight hold at longer distances. I also have one mounted on a very fast hunting bow. It has taken a pretty good pounding over the years Still works great didn't lose the zero.
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 6:32:55 PM EDT
[#22]
There are significant differences between the old style red dots or tube sight and the holosight. Having owned and shot both I find the Holo much easier and faster to get a sight picture. The view is also much wider at shorter distances because your not looking through a tube. This is also a consideration in low light conditions. My red dots know sit on the shelf while holosight go hunting.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top