Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/2/2003 4:48:42 PM EDT
Here's some pics of the targets I used to to dial in my 552 for the IBZ or 50 yard zero.

I used Federal XM193 and it took 15 rounds!  You can see that the CMMG upper I have has some good accuracy potential if someone better were shooting!  The barrel is a 16", 1/7 twist, M4 profile.

The first string is about 4" high.

The second string is still about 3" high.

After a few more adjustments the third string is on target!

Here's also some simulated long range sight pictures.  Notice how the front sight tower blurs out.  At least for me it doesn't seem get in the way at all.

Sight picture at roughly 100 yards.

200 yards.

300 yards.  

BTW, I'm aiming at a fly on his shoulder...  Ok, so it ain't easy holding a camera and an AR while at the sametime snapping pics!

Link Posted: 7/2/2003 6:02:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice stuff!
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 6:03:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the pics! I've been thinking of getting a 512, but wanted to have an idea of what it would look like when used at 100 yards or more, with people saying they have used it up to 200 or 300. I'm only going to use it up to 100 yards, but I can't see it in person to tell.
A question or two about your targets. I am new to my AR and the proper target types, so wanted to know what is the proper size to try and use at various distances. By your images from sighting and you saying that the shots were 3" or 4" high, it looks like the grid of your sight-in target is a 1"x1" grid? I just don't want to be at the range trying to hit some tiny target at 100 yards when I should have something a little bigger. Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 6:41:43 AM EDT
[#3]
deniro,

Yes the target I was using has a 1"x1" grid.  You can find this target at the Maryland AR15 Shooters site, see link below.

[url]http://communities.msn.com/TheMarylandAR15ShootersSite[/url]
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 7:11:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Great! I have good things to look forward to when I get my 552 later this week.  I had planned on mounting mine on top of the flat top rail.  I hope that works out.

Bob
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 7:13:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Nice pics, I've been wondering what targets would look like through an Eotech...
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 4:28:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the compliments guys!  

These pics should be tacked and if we can get the Aimpoint guys to add on some pics as well we can have a red dot sight picture gallery like the ACOG guys![;)]
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 5:04:02 PM EDT
[#7]
That's a mighty durable looking optic. [:D]
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 7:24:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Okay everybody.  I have a question regarding the 552.  I own one and love it.  My question is I do not have rails extending beyond the delta ring.  I have a normal M4 flat-top with double lined handguards.  What is the difference, if any, having it mounted near the BUIS versus near the front site tower?  Enquiring shooters want to know.
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 8:05:26 PM EDT
[#9]
It won't matter at all.  It is really a matter of comfort and "what works for you"!  I like my EOTECH about midway between front site and BUIS.  It is actually just behind the delta ring on the upper reciever.  Some people swear on having them far out on the forend but it is really what works individually.  As long as you have a wide field of view and you WILL no matter where it's mounted, your good to go!
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 2:31:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Yojimbo - I give you the aimpoint. This is from one of Troy's posts.(he sad it was a bad representation and looked better in person)

[img]http://www.hunt101.com/img/050535.jpg[/img]

Link Posted: 7/4/2003 10:31:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 3:06:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Very informative!!Thnx Yojimbo
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 4:17:54 AM EDT
[#13]
rhatland,

The non-magnified red dot optics are designed to be used while focusing on the target using binocular vision. Ideally the best place to put them is the distance where the vision from both eyes intersect. The further down the down the sight is the faster it is for you to pick up the dot and the larger your filed of view will be.

Think of it like pointing a finger. If you put your finger 2 inches away from your dominant eye it's hard to accurately point at something while you both eyes open. Now move your finger to arms length and bingo now it's easy and fast to point even at something as small as a fly on the wall! That's the same principle the red dot optics use.

Also, as Horik mentioned personal preference and what works best for you adn rifle configuration plays a big part of were you place your optics.

Troy,

It looks like whatever camera you used still did a good job on th Aimpoint pic!  You should do a few pics of it targeting objects so the others can see the difference.
[:D]

H3at,

Glad it helped![;)]
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 11:45:23 AM EDT
[#14]
Do you generally use something to steady the rifle during zeroing (sandbags)?  I just zeroed mine with those targets @ 50yd and my groupings had a bit more entropy than what you show.  Other than that, the IBZ I performed worked out satisfactorily.

Also, where did you get that target with the different simulated ranges?

Thanks for the images.
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 12:36:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Backup iron sight cowitness goodness through an Aimpoint Comp M on an ARMS #38...

[img]http://home.bak.rr.com/varmintcong/14.5in/Viewthrough.jpg[/img]

Still need to do pics with the rear sight down and then get some decent images of my Trijicon Reflex sight picture, the Reflex is a bitch though cause the digital camera doesn't want to properly focus due to the tinted lense.
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 1:50:17 PM EDT
[#16]
teknical,

Yes, always use sandbags or some other support when zeroing your rifle.  You want to minimize human error as much as possible to get the best zero.  Of course if you're steady enough you won't need sandbags or other support..[;)]

I got the different range target sheet from the Maryland AR15 Shooter site.
->[url]communities.msn.com/TheMarylandAR15ShootersSite [/url]
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 2:29:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Thanks Yojimbo.  I can't seem to find it, should it be under documents>targets?
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 6:46:07 PM EDT
[#18]
teknical,

Yes you are in the right place.  It's the file named [b]LongRangePractice25Y.zip[/b].

Link Posted: 7/20/2003 7:40:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Can anyone tell me why my Eotech ring looks grainy when I look through it and the photos on this post look nice and crisp?  Does it just look like that in digital photos or are youre Eotechs that crisp, mine like I said is a little fuzzy.  
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 7:57:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Try to focus on the target and not the recticle itself.[;)] or are you wearing glasses/contacts?
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top