Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/24/2004 6:42:10 PM EDT
Heading over to Iraq, will be in the middle of some shit.  Will be using M16A2 and need ideas on what is helpful in the way of accessories.  Experienced help appreciated!
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 6:51:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Take a shorter stock with you, if they'll let you put one on over their.

Optics?
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 6:51:54 PM EDT
[#2]
a grenage gun and a cork.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 6:56:53 PM EDT
[#3]
EoTech 552 and collapsible stock
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 7:07:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Get a pistol.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 7:09:34 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Get a pistol.

Obviously you're not mil.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 7:10:41 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Get a pistol.

My husband said get some pie.............
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 7:14:12 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
My husband said get some pie.............

Definitely the best suggestion. Get as much pie as possible. Not many quality "bakery's" in Iraq, lol. Atleast not at the locations I was at.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 7:15:10 PM EDT
[#8]
bring a supply of basic first aid "finger cots" they're little miniature "rubbers" for fingers. Use them for putting over the barrel end of your rifle. won't have to worry about blown sand collecting in the barrel.

www.first-aid-product.com/industrial/finger-cots.htm

If $ no limit, get yourself an ACOG.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 7:17:43 PM EDT
[#9]
No I'm not in the Military. You think a pistol is a bad idea? Please do tell why.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 7:20:31 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
No I'm not in the Military. You think a pistol is a bad idea? Please do tell why.

It wasn't a bad idea, it's just an illegal idea
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 7:25:18 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It wasn't a bad idea, it's just an illegal idea

Cause its illegal to take a personal weapon on a deployment.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 7:25:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Illegal, yes way to get yourself out of the sand box yes!
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 7:28:49 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
bring a supply of basic first aid "finger cots" they're little miniature "rubbers" for fingers. Use them for putting over the barrel end of your rifle. won't have to worry about blown sand collecting in the barrel.

www.first-aid-product.com/industrial/finger-cots.htm

If $ no limit, get yourself an ACOG.

Collapsible stock and an M4 upper with a M16 bolt carrier.  and like npd233 said, if you can swing it, an ACOG would be a Hell of an idea.

If your going to be issued an interceptor vest

http://www.tacticalapplicationsgroup.com/index.htm

These guys make an outstanding OTV for the intereceptor that lays the two front layers over each other and turns the vest inot a true assault vest complete with plate carrier pockets all for $150.00. It isn't on their website yet but give them a call and they will hook you up.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 7:51:24 PM EDT
[#14]
You need to take the following:
Fle Collars for your ankles
Bug Spray
Powder Gatorade
Jerky
Baby Wipes
Sun Block
Hand Creme
Fly Swatter
Purel Hand Sanitizer
Eye Drops
Gold Bond Foot Powder
Power Bars
Freezer Weight Ziplock Bags

Thats about all I can think of at the moment.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 8:40:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 9:22:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Tactical light for weapon: I brought my surefire classic with me to OIF 1 and attached it to my M-16, most useful weapon's addition I could have paid for.

Extra M-16 magazines: Buy brand new GI contract or equivalent magazines.  Label and baby them.  Marines and Soldiers are notorious for abusing Gov't gear.  Bad magazines=bolt operated M-16.

Optic: ACOG, Aimpoint, whatever your flavor.  Increased hit potential=more dead enemy=more chances to go home.

Fox river cool max socks: Best socks I ever bought, still wearing the same ones more than a year later.  Cool max wicks sweat away, reduces foot funk.

email me for pics

Link Posted: 10/24/2004 9:37:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Basically ditto Was02: (edited)But..negative on the flea collars....didn't see that one....save those for "fluffy"......you will get sick.

zip-ties(various sizes for McGyyver & Mr. Murphy occurrences)
duct tape(you can find "flat packs" to fit in your vest/pack)
finger cots(for keeping barrel sand free)
baggies(freezer)
chapstick/sunscreen/visine/eyedrops
LED/photon micro light(s) clip to vest,pack or zippers
good, small flashlight, xtra batteries, bulbs(surefire nitrolon)
leatherman
deet/Off/insect repellant wipes
non cumbersome goggles/sunglasses
b/u knife(Emerson's SOCFK $130 from Extreme Outfitters)
stashable grub/snacks
anitbacterial wipes/lotion/baby wipes(individual packets)for whore's baths/cleanup

If your budget permits picking up your own optics, I would--either Acog or Eotech if not issued. Always mention your deployment as most folks will cut you some slack off of markup.

Also would suggest bringing along a few D-ring defenders/"O-rings" for more positive extraction, and a few accu-wedges to take the "slop" out of your issue(helps to some degree with accuracy). As far as weapon lights/mounts---Are they an absolute must? Optics the would be my utmost importance if on a budget. I would let other folks be the "shiny happy people", for you, while roaming around town( for several reasons), unless you are planning on doing/sitrep calls for doing some CQB/clearing runs.   Lastly, get a good, functional sling, i.e.  Giles.

Good luck--Stay sharp, focused and don't let your guard down

Link Posted: 10/24/2004 9:54:10 PM EDT
[#18]
TXscout has about the best input so far.  It looks like he's covered all bases.  TEX-were you over there...maybe you're close to someone that was\is??

ETA- Except for the "leatherman"   GET A GERBER!!  
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 10:07:12 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
You need to take the following:
Fle Collars for your ankles
Bug Spray
Powder Gatorade
Jerky
Baby Wipes
Sun Block
Hand Creme
Fly Swatter
Purel Hand Sanitizer
Eye Drops
Gold Bond Foot Powder
Power Bars
Freezer Weight Ziplock Bags

Thats about all I can think of at the moment.

Be careful with the flea collars some people get real sick from them.
A photographer's cleaning brush, it's small with a rubber bulb on the end and stiff bristles (sp?), it's great for getting sand out of small places while keeping what you working on dry so the sand doesn't stick.  Good luck, stay safe, and Thanks
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 10:28:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 10:46:30 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Personal weapons are illegal.

If he is meant to have a pistol he will be issued a M9.

If that's the case, some brand new Beretta-mfg magazines would be a good idea...

As for M16 accessories, an ACOG and a good flashlight would probably be useful...
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 4:13:52 AM EDT
[#22]
Here is my advice based on being here going on 8 months.  Before you buy anything find out what your unit is going to issue and what it will allow.  My unit obtained and issued bore snakes, tactical slings, otis M16 cleaning kits, rail systems, drop leg holsters, Gerber multi tools, ect.   You will also get most of what you need equipment wise thru RFI either at your mob station or here in country.   That said, a good Tactical Tailor or BHI tactical sling, a Bore Snake type device, and a good cleaning kit  are must haves.  A good lubricant like Strikehold (which we are issued) or Firepower is worth having as are some picks and scrapers for your cleaning kit.  A front sight adjustment tool will save you some headaches on the range.  Be carefull about buying uppers and stocks.  There is a great deal of leeway among units and major commands here.  I waited until we got to Baghdad before I ordered my upper and stock and had no problems.  But other units within the Div are not allowing modification to the issue weapon.   Same goes for optics.  Even the support units are issueing M68 CCOs and line units issue the both the M68 and ACOG, so you may not want to spend the extra $ out of pocket for something else.  

1st Cavalry Div
Baghdad Iraq
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 4:31:24 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Will be using M16A2 and need ideas on what is helpful in the way of accessories.  

I think just about everyone here missed the entire POINT of your thread.

Not surprisingly......
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 8:46:50 AM EDT
[#24]
Just wanted to say Hi. I see you are cav. My son is headed over in January. He is in A troop 3/7 cavalry. This will be his second tour. They made quite a splash first time there. Anything you need I would be happy to send. Stay safe!! Be careful!! Think!!---------Thank you for being there.

Scouts Out!
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 10:16:55 AM EDT
[#25]
gold bond medicated powered, great to keep the chaffing down(ball sweat).
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 10:21:13 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 10:21:38 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Heading over to Iraq, will be in the middle of some shit.  Will be using M16A2 and need ideas on what is helpful in the way of accessories.  Experienced help appreciated!

God bless you (and all of our troops over there) and come back safely.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 10:23:08 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Be careful with the flea collars some people get real sick from them.

+1

Anyone can get sick from them. They can cause Leukocytopenia if they get into your system. All it takes is something like you handled them to put them around your boots, didn't wash your hands thoroughly, then ate a bag of potato chips. Immosuppression, not a good thing.

Wear them only loosely on the outside of your boots, never next to your skin if you must wear them. Always wash your hands after handling them.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 1:50:00 PM EDT
[#29]
in addition to all the great suggestions mentioned check out the brown under armor gear ie tees and heat gear u won't be sorry u can get them at military clothing sales plus get a good assault pack such as tactical tailor etc there are a lot of good desert boots out now that are better than issue, although i saw some troops with issue desert matterhorns.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 1:55:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Take Goretex, I was in Baghdad this time last year, wet season is starting soon. Cold and rainy and mud everywhere.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 2:07:00 PM EDT
[#31]
Read Lumpy's post for equipment.  Then, when you get there, Keep your ass covered, your head down, eyes and ears open, mouth shut, remember sight picture-sight alignment and B.R.A.S.S.

Semper Fi!
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 2:46:30 PM EDT
[#32]
A bunch of good suggestions here and +1 on keep yourself safe and come home to your family.
Keep your Eyes and ears open and pay attention!
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 2:58:42 PM EDT
[#33]
great,great advice be very, very vigilant hell my neck is still sore from spinning around so much and i've been back for 6 months.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 3:04:13 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
great,great advice be very, very vigilant hell my neck is still sore from spinning around so much and i've been back for 6 months.

No shit, lol. I've been back since March. It's been real nice not having to try and sleep with incomining mortars landing all around. But I'll be back there soon as well..
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 7:06:48 AM EDT
[#35]
God Bless all you guys who are going over there and to all of you who were there.  

My brother is with the 101's Air Assault.  They keep sending him to Iraq but they also bring him back to the states for short periods of time...any idea what the fuck they would keep sending him back and forth from US to Iraq & back for?  He's only a pvt.

Link Posted: 10/26/2004 7:27:14 AM EDT
[#36]
Good luck watch your 6 and Thanks for everything that you guys are doing and God Bless
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 7:44:07 AM EDT
[#37]
What about a decent pair of shades?  Nothing more tiring on the eyes than a bright day in the desert.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 7:45:28 AM EDT
[#38]
JB,

If your command will allow look at either a A1 stock or collaspabel stock.  Unless you have really long arms the stock is generally too long for most people with body armor.  Second would be a surefire and third I would think about Aimpoint or EOTech.  

Watch your six.

CD
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 7:54:11 AM EDT
[#39]
I'm not a soldier, but I salute you guys for the sacrifices you're making for us. My family and I pray for you guys. I'll continue to do what little I can back here for you by continuing to fight the culture war. Stay safe and...

DON'T LET THE BASTARDS GRIND YOU DOWN.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 8:07:00 AM EDT
[#40]
  You gentlemen be careful over there.  Would a Gapper be helpful for finger wear? Pre-sweetened Koolaid packs/PowerAde, Under Armor Heat Wear -the tight fit, not loose fit, good socks, extra mags, a good knife and multitool, spares kit?  If cilvilian, I still like the pistol idea (better have and not need, than need and not have...out of sight, out of mind...sleep and shower with it), probably would have to buy it blackmarket over there.  If military, and you were allowed; a good .45,  F the 9mm.
   Keep your head in the game, better them than you (it's their country, THEY need to get involved in order to settle it down and get back on track), and come home safe.    OOOHH RAH!!
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 8:13:02 AM EDT
[#41]
-Flea collars...use them around your cot. I threw a few in my ruck as well.
-Powdered drink mixes... water gets old
-I never heard of running out of cleaning supplies over there.
-Lumpy's comment about the Aimpoint and gooseneck mount is right on. I used one over there and it worked really well. Easy to re adjust zero if it changes after removal. Battery life is incredible.
-Bring a laptop if you can swing it. Sounds crazy to take a laptop to war, but a lot of us had them and the games and music can kill a lot of time.
-Digital camera. Don't spend a lot of money on one case they all get full of dust. Many guys were very happy they brought one.
-Ammo pouches (Spec Ops brand?) that fit on MOLLE webbing (your Interceptor). Much better than wearing a load bearing vest over your IBA. There will PXs that sell these over there.
-Foot powder... was a necessity during the hot summer.

****Most importantly****
Bring some common sense. This is combat. Your life and your buddies lives are on the line. If you see a better/safer/more effective way to do something use your chain and speak up!

Don't be a pussy like the guys in the 343rd QM and refuse to go out on the road 'cause its too dangerous

-Cygnus
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 9:12:26 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Socks. Get as many pairs as possible. I am not kidding.
Leathermans. I know Gerber makes a fine tool but the coalition forces love them.

Ummm,....more socks.

As many antacid tablets as you can hump. No kidding there, eating MRE for months on end will playy hell with your esophagus.

Lets see. Flea collars. Seriously.

Ummm, more socks. Did I mention socks? I would also pack some more socks.

Underwear is always optional. But they do come in handy WHEN (and you will) you get the shits and have no TP.

Plenty of film for the camera so you can send us some cool pics.

More socks.

Sew money behind your unit patches. Small amounts like 5s and 10s. Dont tell anyone though. But when you think you are broke and find something cool to buy , or need to bribe a buddy to clean your weapon or something. You have a little something with you even if your wallet is empty.

Extra sewing kits.

I cant think of anything else off the top of my head right now, but I better not forget to mention... bring lots of socks. Just in case I forgot that.

Warm dry feet = sanity.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 5:41:17 AM EDT
[#43]
Based on observations in this current deployment, there's just a couple of items that seem to be in high demand that I would endorse --

1. Smith Enterprise Vortex G6A2 Flash Eliminator.
2. Smith Enterprise M16 NATO-STANAG/IDF-issue Carry handle Optics Mount.
3. Colt or similiar high-quality Collapsing stock
4. Giles-type sling system
5. Cleaning equipment you personnally know and trust.

PS --The personal hygiene items commentary, while OT is, nonetherless helpful.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 10:12:01 AM EDT
[#44]
I have been out of the Army  since 94. Back then your COULD NOT modify your weapon in any way at all. I dont know how it is now but to get caught doing it back then was grounds for a field grade Article 15. Especially if you were not the units designated armorer.

Thats why I didnt make any recommendations on the weapon itself. I think the A2 is a fine weapon just like it is. I hated colapsible stocks so I dont recommed them. Unless they improved them since 94. The flash hider on the A2 works great most of the powder is burnt by the time it gets to the end anyways. Get as many dust caps as you can for your muzzle just shoot through em.
Make a nice cover when the dust storms whip up. I made a nice one out of a brown bath towel. worked great. Also, providing they still issue Break Free. Only use like 2 or 3 drops when doing the bolt carrier and use 2 drops on your finger to make a light coat inside the upper where the bolt carrier moves. Thats all. Too much can be a problem.

Basically they are giving you an excellent weapon already. If you cant change or modify it, no big deal. If you can, then make it as functionable and comfotable to you. ie ambidextrious selector switch and things that tailor it to yourself.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top