Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/16/2004 1:36:59 PM EDT
Have read of A2 elevation wheels marked either 8/3 or 6/3.
Can one marked 6/3 be used with a 20" barrel? Should it?
Is the 8/3 specifically for longer barrels, and the 6/3 for shorter barrels?
Does using a detachable carry handle make a difference with markings?  
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 2:56:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 3:35:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Chuck,
Thanks for the info.
To clarify my use:
I have a flat-top upper with a 20" barrel, fixed front sight.
Will be adding a detachable carry handle/sight.
Should I  get one with 8/3?
If I use a 6/3 with the 20", any problems with sight radius and/or pitch?
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 4:45:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 5:02:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Just noticed at the Maryland AR shooters site they have the IBSZ instructions.
In the instructions, it's stated that all carry handles have the 6/3 elevation wheel.
Any reference in TM's backing this up. I don't have one, but I'll try to see if any on-line TM's state such.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 6:41:25 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
In the instructions, it's stated that all carry handles have the 6/3 elevation wheel.

True that.  The thickness of the bottom of the carry handle precludes an elevation wheel from being any "taller" than it is, which is 6/3.  
Not an issue w/ a standard A2 upper, as this extra metal is integral & subsequently not required.
Hope that helps.

Quoted:
IBSZ will work fine with this rifle.

True that, too.  
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 8:10:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 8:18:04 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Just noticed at the Maryland AR shooters site they have the IBSZ instructions.
Any reference in TM's backing this up. I don't have one, but I'll try to see if any on-line TM's state such.

I have the TM for the M16 which covers the M16A2, M16A3, M16A4, M4, M4A1 and it backs it up. The 6/3 is for detachable carrying handles and the 8/3 is for fixed carrying handles reguardless of the barrel length, for the 14.5 inch barrel you just zero different is all.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 2:51:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Chuck--

I'm new to the forum and you seem to be someone in the know... The rear elevation wheel on my new Bushy 20" flattop (site is on the detachable carry handle) seems to be frozen in place. Jim at Bushmaster said to use a 1/16 inch allen and loosen the index screw at the front of the site. I did that (actually removed it) and still, the wheel won't turn. Do you have any recommendations? How do I break the site apart? something must have been assembled incorrectly.

Thanks in advance!

Chris
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:25:31 PM EDT
[#9]
The M4's and M16A4's use the same Removable Carry Handle with the 6/3 rear elevation drum. As I understand it based on the TM and the Zero tgts. the "Z" on the drums is for zeroing the M16A4 ONLY at 25m's and then returning the drum back tto 6/3 to apply the 300M Battle Zero . the "Z" is not used on the M-4 Carbines. The drum is left on 6/3 and zeroed at 25M and is left their to  apply a 300M BZ to the weapon. At least that's How I taught my guys prior to weapons qual a few years ago when we shot our M-4's for the first time. and I had no problem hitting  the 300M pop up tgt's.
That's How Uncle Sugar is teaching it in the TM for the Army, unless I'm missing something
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 8:29:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Does anyone have the thread pitches of the 6/3 and 8/3 sight posts?  And the length of the thread post for each one?

I have a DPMS BUIS marked 6/3 (should be 1/2 MOA clicks) that is set to bottom at 4 clicks below 6/3.  When I turn it up it will not go up as far as 5, much less one full turn to 6/3.  I was expecting it to go at least that far.  At 6/3 -4 it is just inside flush with the bottom of the BUIS.  The slot in the post goes almost to the bottom, so it doesn't look like a short slot, but it would need to be longer to allow the post to rotate up to 6.

I'm thinking I have a 6/3 index on an 8/3 assembly, and that's why I'm looking for the thread pitch info.

Thanks,
Rich  
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 10:50:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks all for the helpful replies. Been away from computer a bit.

Chuck,
Tried the IBSZ with an A2 I used to have. Like the zero method, and it met my shooting requirements.  
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 11:00:44 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Chuck--

I'm new to the forum and you seem to be someone in the know... The rear elevation wheel on my new Bushy 20" flattop (site is on the detachable carry handle) seems to be frozen in place. Jim at Bushmaster said to use a 1/16 inch allen and loosen the index screw at the front of the site. I did that (actually removed it) and still, the wheel won't turn. Do you have any recommendations? How do I break the site apart? something must have been assembled incorrectly.

Thanks in advance!

Chris

Make sure you are turning the bottom part of the elevation wheel only.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 11:03:40 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I have a DPMS BUIS marked 6/3 (should be 1/2 MOA clicks) that is set to bottom at 4 clicks below 6/3.  When I turn it up it will not go up as far as 5, much less one full turn to 6/3.

My DPMS sight did the same thing, so I had it modified to give access to the 600M position. You have to disassemble the sight and elongate a slot (actually open it up) to get it to elevate to the 600M position. the only disadvantage of this mod is that, if elevated past the 6/3 position, the sight can actually fall off !!!
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 8:21:15 AM EDT
[#14]
StealthyBlagga,

I was headed where you ended up, slot mod, and had foreseen the consequences, potentially uncaptured sight assembly.

Did you try e-mailing DPMS?

I think I'm still gonna' try to figure out if it is an 8/3 body by looking at thread pitch and/or lift.

Rich
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top