Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/12/2009 8:34:22 AM EDT
What are everyones chances of finding one ? How many were produced ??? Man they sure look different from the twenties ...
Link Posted: 9/12/2009 1:33:30 PM EDT
[#1]
The Pics of the 25 round "Straight Body" USGI type mag at retro black rifle have given me an alternative to the waffle mag to search for (I'm sooo thrilled)
Link Posted: 9/12/2009 1:38:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
What are everyones chances of finding one ? How many were produced ??? Man they sure look different from the twenties ...

I couldn't find any...  

...but there's an old phrase we use in the military..."Field Expedient Solution"...  

(P.S. - It requires machine tools + high school metal shop at least)  
Link Posted: 9/12/2009 1:40:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Postino,that looks pretty f––in  good?? Did you do it yourself?? +1 man,,I want one...
More details,is it useable or just for looks.
Link Posted: 9/12/2009 1:43:28 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm shocked you would ask "if that works" ,you think he went there for sh*ts & giggles.
Link Posted: 9/12/2009 1:47:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Wow Postino, that does look nice.
How much time was involved in making it?
Link Posted: 9/12/2009 1:50:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I'm shocked you would ask "if that works" ,you think he went there for sh*ts & giggles.

Well I know from past posts and before NDS decided to make the waffles,there were discussions saying that it would cost way too much to make mags,,yea I understand this is probably a 1 off he made,just wanted to know if it's show or show-n-go
ETA either way it really looks fantastic!!

Link Posted: 9/12/2009 1:51:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Postino,that looks pretty f––in  good?? Did you do it yourself?? +1 man,,I want one...

It is useable; waiting for a goodly number of parts to do before I Park it...(it's steel)...Uses 30rd springs; aluminum follower; std baseplate...I only made two...

You are looking at a *lot* of work there, my man...It might as well be made of unobtainium...  

Mike could probably make them at a reasonable price...I sure can't...  
Link Posted: 9/12/2009 1:54:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Great job..Did 25 rounders see any time in Nam??
Link Posted: 9/12/2009 2:01:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Does anyone have photos of an original? I've never seen one before.
Link Posted: 9/12/2009 2:07:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/12/2009 2:45:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Let's get Mike @ NDS interested in 25 rd straight mags...Shouldn't be any more difficult than 20 rd waffle mags...  
Link Posted: 9/12/2009 2:57:21 PM EDT
[#12]
BTW: There's a reason why Colt/ArmaLite never made 25 rd straight mags in any quantity...It's the same reason that they went to a curved mag...(and why M14's never used 25 or 30 rd straight mags)...

You only have to look at a M16 cartridge and mag...and an AK cartridge and mag...

If you put a tapered round in a straight mag, after a certain number are stacked, there is different spring pressures on the front & rear of the top round...and it won't always feed properly...the rear will try to stick up more than the front...

By curving the mag, you put uniform pressure on both ends of all the cartridges...

I'm still experimenting with feed lip angles on my mags as well...There used to be a company selling a mandrel that you stuck in a 20 rd mag body and lightly hammered the lips to take out dents and realign the lips...Anyone know who it was??? I haven't seen them advertised in years...  
Link Posted: 9/12/2009 3:11:20 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

BTW: There's a reason why Colt/ArmaLite never made 25 rd straight mags in any quantity...It's the same reason that they went to a curved mag...(and why M14's never used 25 or 30 rd straight mags)...

You only have to look at a M16 cartridge and mag...and an AK cartridge and mag...

If you put a tapered round in a straight mag, after a certain number are stacked, there is different spring pressures on the front & rear of the top round...and it won't always feed properly...the rear will try to stick up more than the front...

By curving the mag, you put uniform pressure on both ends of all the cartridges...

I'm still experimenting with feed lip angles on my mags as well...There used to be a company selling a mandrel that you stuck in a 20 rd mag body and lightly hammered the lips to take out dents and realign the lips...Anyone know who it was??? I haven't seen them advertised in years...  

Very interesting. I always thought the reason for curved mags was to give the shooter a bit more ground clearance if he was shooting while prone.

Link Posted: 9/12/2009 4:25:43 PM EDT
[#14]
I thought I had found a 25 round mag on the back cover of shotgun news in a pof-usa advertisement. I got all excited and went to the website as fast as I could, only to find out it is a 25 round .308 mag. Then went back to the ad and looked again, duh you big dummy, that's not an ar15. Oh well, 5.56 stripper clips only hold ten rounds anyway, makes loading 20s and30s easier.

Looked at Mr. Squirrel's link, looks like the slot to lock in the mag catch is in a different location on these prototype mags. These mags hold major cool factor though.
Link Posted: 9/12/2009 4:41:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is useable; waiting for a goodly number of parts to do before I Park it...(it's steel)...Uses 30rd springs; aluminum follower; std baseplate...I only made two...

You are looking at a *lot* of work there, my man...It might as well be made of unobtainium...  

Mike could probably make them at a reasonable price...I sure can't...  

shouldn't they be painted green?
Link Posted: 9/12/2009 7:20:00 PM EDT
[#16]

thanks for the pics
Link Posted: 9/13/2009 10:11:50 AM EDT
[#17]
With the talk of 25 round magazines, from my understanding, the original FAMAS F1 and G1 used a straight-bodied 25 round magazine that was not compatible with NATO weapons, the later FAMAS G2  used the STANAG magazine.  Does anyone know why the French went with a straight-bodied 25 round magazine, and why did it work for them?
Link Posted: 9/13/2009 2:41:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
...................  Does anyone know why the French went with a straight-bodied 25 round magazine, and why did it work for them?

Because they are French and basically suck at small arm design.

Link Posted: 9/13/2009 3:01:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Does anyone know why the French went with a straight-bodied 25 round magazine, and why did it work for them?

Nope.

But setting the baseplate at an angle (like all 20 rd AR mags) helps; also making the spring curved spreads the pressure if it's curved correctly.

I'm curious as to why the 9mm Parabellum round functions in MP-40, Uzi, and Mac magazines of 20, 25, and even 32 round capacities...the 9mm is severely tapered...but it's a lot shorter, so I suppose that helps...  

TexSquirrel (and anybody owning an original 25 rd mag) - Is the base angle of the 25 rd mag on your RBR site more acute than the 20 rd mag next to it??? That may have been one attempt to get it to feed reliably...
Link Posted: 9/13/2009 3:03:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Like the ones at Reed Knight's wall display??? It looks like just the bottoms are painted green...Very sloppily, I might add...  
Link Posted: 9/13/2009 3:06:04 PM EDT
[#21]
I don't know.
I don't think they're laying at identical angles.
Anyone got a protractor they can use?
I have one around here somewhere...
Link Posted: 9/13/2009 3:14:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I don't know.

I used Paint Shop to rotate the 25 rd'er...It's the same baseplate angle...  

Link Posted: 9/13/2009 3:43:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't know.

I used Paint Shop to rotate the 25 rd'er...It's the same baseplate angle...  

http://www.wzrd.com/~rbrennan/misc/25rdtest.jpg

I don't have (or understand) photoshop, but if you overlay the 20 on the 25 rounder, I'll bet the angle is a bit more on the 25. Looks that way to me anyway
Link Posted: 9/13/2009 4:07:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I don't have (or understand) photoshop, but if you overlay the 20 on the 25 rounder, I'll bet the angle is a bit more on the 25. Looks that way to me anyway

The pic was not taken from directly overhead; and was taken using the Macro setting...there is a bit of distortion...but until we can get a real 25 rd'er to measure, pics will have to do...

BTW: Do we know which came first??? 20 or 25 rd???  
Link Posted: 9/13/2009 4:53:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

brownells sells that mandrel

Link Posted: 9/13/2009 5:05:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Like the ones at Reed Knight's wall display??? It looks like just the bottoms are painted green...Very sloppily, I might add...  

Link Posted: 9/13/2009 5:45:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:There used to be a company selling a mandrel that you stuck in a 20 rd mag body and lightly hammered the lips to take out dents and realign the lips...Anyone know who it was???

brownells sells that mandrel

I can't find it in their catalog # 62...All I see is a screwdriver-like "Lip Forming Tool"...  
Link Posted: 9/13/2009 8:05:06 PM EDT
[#28]
I'd be down for one or two 25 round magazines, especially if they were aluminum instead of steel, I don't really like rusty things...
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 8:07:06 AM EDT
[#29]
Perhaps Mike at NDS was too quick to pull trigger on Waffle mags and shoulda taken a look at these as a project (JK) HE does not do aluminium mags , but hey NHMTG has been know to do a side project or two (Like the Aluminium 10/20 "straight body" mags they  made for Stag a while back) ...
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 8:58:02 AM EDT
[#30]
Personally I'd like to see some new 'fully curved' 30 rounders made. The tooling has to be out there, since they were produced by commercial entities. I meant to run a few rounds through the one I have, but ended up just using 20 rounders since I was shooting off the bench. I saw one of these at a gun show several years ago and didn't buy it despite the Colt baseplate. At the time I thought it was some off-brand mag that someone had put a Colt baseplate on. Same show was where I had a chance at BOTH a 601 and 602 stripped upper - guy had 5 stripped uppers and gave me my choice for $40 or all 5 for $100! Wish I had a time machine and knew what I knew now.
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 9:36:06 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Personally I'd like to see some new 'fully curved' 30 rounders made. The tooling has to be out there, since they were produced by commercial entities. I meant to run a few rounds through the one I have, but ended up just using 20 rounders since I was shooting off the bench. I saw one of these at a gun show several years ago and didn't buy it despite the Colt baseplate. At the time I thought it was some off-brand mag that someone had put a Colt baseplate on. Same show was where I had a chance at BOTH a 601 and 602 stripped upper - guy had 5 stripped uppers and gave me my choice for $40 or all 5 for $100! Wish I had a time machine and knew what I knew now.

I remember those days.
I bought 2 steel waffle mags, $5 each, from a huge table of various 20 rounders.  I just bought them because they were different.  This was in 1981.  They were traded off long ago.

I'm grateful NDS did the waffles.  
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top