Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/21/2004 9:58:56 PM EDT
What's the difference aside from the hood on the EOTech that adds a little more protection? Is one made by the other? They look identical.
Link Posted: 4/21/2004 11:15:30 PM EDT
[#1]
This is from my review on EOTech on Maryland AR15shooter site:

To better explain the EOTech is to understand the model designations.  EOTech makes the 500, 510 and the 550 series holographic sights.  Those model numbers denotes the option and capability of each model.  The 500 series is the civilian sight, this is the same unit as the Holosight Bushnell sells through their distributors.  Only difference in those two sights is the marking on the side to differentiate the different company.  The 510/550 series is the law enforcement/military sight that has a one-piece aluminum protective hood. Within the 510 line up, there are 511 and 512, 511 is the N battery model, and the 512 is the AA battery model that was released earlier this year (2003). The only difference between the 510 and the 550 series is the NV compatible settings, just as the 510s, the 550 series also come with the extruded aluminum hood.  On the back of the 550 series, there is a NV button so you can quickly switch to NV setting (see photo #).  The 551 is the N battery model and the 552 is the AA battery model, currently the 552s are very popular with the Army Spec Ops teams.

EOTech Review
Link Posted: 4/22/2004 5:08:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Cool, thanks SMG.

I wouldn't want it without the aluminum hood, if if I don't think I'm going to abuse it that much... better safe than sorry.

Link Posted: 4/22/2004 6:55:10 AM EDT
[#3]
I bought a 512 and put it through some abuse.  Lord knows it held up even though it hit the ground a few times.  That hood is a necessity in my opinion.  Oh yea, and after being dropping nothing shifted, the zero stayed right where it was before.  

Link Posted: 4/22/2004 1:07:57 PM EDT
[#4]
I bought a holo-sight from opticsplanet.net, paid $299, free shipping, and it has the hood. I was suprised. Even uses AA batteries.
Link Posted: 4/22/2004 5:23:05 PM EDT
[#5]
If anyone is interested Natchez has the Bushnell sight on sale in their newest catalog for $169.95. With shipping the order was $180 and some change. Hopefully mine will arrive tomorrow.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 2:50:56 AM EDT
[#6]
I mounted a Bushnell Holosite on my RR A3CAR and it I love it. I am a plinker and the fast aquisition is great. I have it set up with BUIS to cowitness. Having an aluminum hood was not a priority to me and the money I saved on this optic went into ammo.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 5:54:48 AM EDT
[#7]
I have an EOTech 511 (N battery).  I love the sight, but if I ever bought another one, I would get the 512 because of the AA batteries.  I just had both the alkaline N batteries leak all over the battery compartment.  The sight still works, but I think a lithium or NiCad AA would hold up better.

I bought mine from SWFA.  Fairly reasonable price and comes with the neoprene cover free.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 6:33:05 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
If anyone is interested Natchez has the Bushnell sight on sale in their newest catalog for $169.95. With shipping the order was $180 and some change. Hopefully mine will arrive tomorrow.

I saw that...but I *think* it's the 1moa dot only, as opposed to the 1moa dot 65moa circle that is more or less the standard reticle.  Still a great price...I was tempted to get one.  
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 7:19:25 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
The sight still works, but I think a lithium or NiCad AA would hold up better.

Alkalines should do well - you must have gotten a bad N cell, it happens.

BTW use the NiMH rechargables not the NiCads with the EOTech.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top