Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/15/2003 10:32:19 AM EDT
GOTCHA!

Bet you thought: "Another guy that doesn't know how to use the search function."

My wife ordered it for Xmas, and Grant had it in my mailbox before she even thought it possible. Therefore, I got to find out about my Christmas surprise a little early.

I got to fondle it briefly ("But honey - I need to make sure it works OK!!!!") and noticed that in my (relatively) dark house at night, the reticle was extremely fuzzy. While I did remember some postings discussing this, I was really worried. The rind wasn't so much a ring as a solid circle with a small opening where the dot appeared. Turning the brightness down some helped, but not completely.

So I got all steamed and dug the delivery box out of the trash and decided to take a picture for Grant so I could have proof that it's all screwed up. Lo and behold, the reticle looks perfect in the picture I took. Hmmmm.

Another quick search through ARFCOM reveals these truths:

1) Look at the target, not the reticle.
2) The problem is worse at night.

I took it back out and tried it again and it was a LOT better. No problem at all with some daylight around. I'm also slightly astigmatic, so that exacerbated the problem.

There has GOT to be an FAQ for this. Chen - whatcha waitin' for ??? Are you letting work interfere with your AR15.com community service requirements ?
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 10:55:11 AM EDT
[#1]
There is nothing wrong with your EOTech.

Mount it as far forward as you can possibly stand.

Merry Christmas!

Quoting from somebody on another gun forum...."Grant ships so fast you have to duck" I thought it would be appropriate here.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 11:07:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Without my glasses the reticle is EXTREMELY FUZZY.  Is it time to update your perscription?
[:D][:P]
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 11:18:18 AM EDT
[#3]
[):)]
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 11:25:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Focus on the target not the sight ,things will clear right up .
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 11:34:00 AM EDT
[#5]
As the otheres have mentioned...

1. Mount it as a far forward as you can.

2. Use both eye open and focus on the target.

3. If it still looks fuzzy you may need to lower the brightness setting.

4. When you mount it on your rifle push it forward tight against the rail and tighten the thumb screw hand tight and then using a coin give it an extra 1/4" turn.

5. These sights work great using the IBZ or 50 yard zero.

6. Having astigmatism will cause the reticule to look different depending on how bad it is.

The EOTech is one sweet sight, have fun with yours![beer]
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 11:50:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Quit drinking so much tequella before looking thru the thing.

Next thing you know, you'll be cutting lime skins and putting them on the cat's heads.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 11:55:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Next thing you know, you'll be cutting lime skins and putting them on the cat's heads.
View Quote

LMAO !! I sent that pic to my wife and she almost fell off her chair at work it was so funny.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 8:39:43 PM EDT
[#8]
i did the same thing, took my EOTech out of its box and started freaking out b/c it was 'fuzzy' looking around the house, but when i looked through it out the window at a tree across the street it cleared right up
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 2:23:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Astigmatism will also produce that effect, and make the dots from that and other red dots to be irregularly shaped instead of a nice tight rought dot.
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 6:31:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Oh - one little follow-up question: Are most of you using the thumbscrew or the allen head screw to secure your EOTech ?
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 6:43:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Thumbscrew (periodically I'll swap it for my Compact ACOG).

This is one of the items that needs and upgrade IMHO.  I'd rather they use a captive system like the Aimpoint & Trijicon mounts.
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 7:54:35 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Oh - one little follow-up question: Are most of you using the thumbscrew or the allen head screw to secure your EOTech ?
View Quote

I use the tumb screw too.  I've never even tried the allen head screw.
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 8:18:38 AM EDT
[#13]
I like to screw as well [naughty]

Why don't they switch over to an ARMS throwlever?  Even the OTAL is going that way.
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 7:25:04 PM EDT
[#14]
i use the allen head
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 4:25:37 AM EDT
[#15]
Chen has actually finished the EoTech part of the optics FAQ we've been working on for about 6 months now. Some of the other people working on it (i.e. - me!!!!) have been dragging. My apologies.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 7:59:11 PM EDT
[#16]
part of why i prefer the EOTech is because my highly astigmatic eyes can use a slightly "blurred" 1MOA dot as a kind of oblong 2 MOA, while an Aimpoints 4MOA becomes a monstrous smear thru my eyes.  
in daylight i dont' have the problem at all, but i do a lot of shooting on an indoor range where i really notice the difference.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top