Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/3/2004 12:49:06 PM EDT
The search function isn't working and I am doing some research in reference to work.  Does the M-16/AR-15 family of weapons have a drop safety?  Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 1:12:16 PM EDT
[#1]
There is no drop safety.  However in stock form the rifle should be able to take a drop w/o firing - I stress 'should' there is always a possiblity.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 4:03:42 PM EDT
[#2]
From what I can remember while I was in the Army using an FN M-16 A2 if one dropped the rifle and if the bolt slams forward it will fire. Granted we were working on concrete and doing drills at the time but it wasn't THAT hard to get the bolt to go from being back to being forward.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 4:20:25 PM EDT
[#3]
There is no "drop' safety incorporated into the design.

The inertia of the firing pin can detonate some soft primers (223 ammo) when the bolt slams into battery. I've never seen it happen, but have read some accounts of it happening. I suspect incidents like this will increase with the increased use of the weapon platform by the LEO community. My department for instance, still issues Federal .223 ammo mean for varmint hunting.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 5:14:07 PM EDT
[#4]
I probably should have added this in my previous post but my FN issued M-16 A2 was a peice of trash. After the bad extractor was fixed it then would use a 2 round burst in semi-auto mode. The bolt moved forward with enough force to set off GI ammo.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 6:03:41 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I probably should have added this in my previous post but my FN issued M-16 A2 was a peice of trash. After the bad extractor was fixed it then would use a 2 round burst in semi-auto mode. The bolt moved forward with enough force to set off GI ammo.

Wouldn't it go cyclic? I mean if the bolt closed with enough force for the firing pin to strike a primer every time you fired semi, it would seem that it would continue to do so until you were out of ammo, not just once.

I guess it's all academic since you refer to the rifle in past tense. Did it ever make it to the armorer, or were you stuck with it?
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 8:44:45 AM EDT
[#6]
The 2 round burst problem is more likely out of spec/worn internals.  This was happening to me, and KEN and S.A.W. fixed it by replacing the SEAR and Hammer, I beleive.

I doubt the bolt movement would "set off" the round.
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 12:23:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 12:43:31 PM EDT
[#8]
That's probably it.  I know there were two things he replaced.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top