Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/25/2006 12:34:32 PM EDT
Need to drill a hole in my Model1 24" varmint upper for a sling stud so I can attach my Harris bipod. How would you go about doing this? Thanks...
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 1:44:33 PM EDT
[#1]
center punch to keep drill bit from sliding and then drill away.

does the m1 tube have slots in it? my jtdist. did and what i did was installed the harris #5 adapter i believe in one of the slots which was centered and then went from there.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 1:48:14 PM EDT
[#2]
The only way I know for finding center is with a vertical mill.
Does anyone know an easier way?
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 5:47:01 PM EDT
[#3]
I did it by eyeball centering off the bottom of my FSB, center punch and drill slow, then tap
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 7:58:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 8:38:37 PM EDT
[#5]
There is a company that sells an insert, but I dont recall who the hell it is... you could always make one, get an inch of 1.75 OD thick wall tubing and slice it up in a half dozen pieces, drill and tap the hole in the center and you have a strong backing plate/nut comination... and you can sell the other five on the EE!

But as Randall says, don't just trust the aluminum tube hold it.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 4:15:36 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I did it by eyeball centering off the bottom of my FSB, center punch and drill slow, then tap

Don't tap the tube if you will be putting the rifle to any real use, especially if you are going to put a bipod on that stud.
A stud screwed into an aluminum tube WILL eventually pull out and it will be at the wrong moment.
Happened to me in the middle of a match...

Now when I do these, I drill a clearance hole and use a longer stud.
I have a reverse spotface tool that cuts a nice little flat pad on the inside of the tube.
Here I place a stel hex nut and loctite the stud into it.
These never pull out.

+1 stud and nut would be the best option.

this is what i was talking about in my previous post, the #5

basically a stud and oversized elongated nut.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top