Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/5/2003 8:44:31 PM EDT
Has anybody figured out how to use a dragunov reticle for shots past 100 yards?
I have a 4x32 Pilad scope on a 20 inch hbar. Shooting m193. With the top chevron zeroed at 100 yards, using the JBM program, it looks like the second chevron down would be about right for 550 yards. I havent tried to figure the other lower chevrons. Ive never used one of these scopes before so I may be way off here.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 8:27:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Ok. I think the lack of responses tells all here. In other words, this type reticle is a POS. Im going to do some experimenting with it just for grins and see what I can come up with.
This scope seems pretty tough and considering the price I could have a back up for cheap.
    My plan is to set up a stick at 100 yards first to neasure the drop between the chevrons. Then if I can get to a 600 yard range, I could see how good the system works.
Maybe I have too much time on my hands. Quarry.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 9:24:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Are you talking about a Russian VOLZ/Pilad 4X32 scope? I don't know what a POS reticle is, but I think you are talking about the Dragunov version of the mil-dot system. I had a Russian SVD for a while and became familiar with POS-1 scope that uses the same reticle. My SVD shot 7.62x54, so I have no expierence sighting in for 5.56mm. You will just have to take some time and zero your scope for the shooting M193.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 10:06:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks Va Dinger. Yeah, I think Itll just take a little measuring  accurately the spacing between the chevrons at 100 yards. I dont even have to shoot at the stick. I just need the measurements at 100 yards. There are lots of ways I could set it up. Fun project for a while I guess. Ive been using a Weaver V16 at 100 yards lately just to see how good the barrel is and it seems fairly good. 5/8 inch groups so far off a cheapo bipod prone. So it looks like I should be able to make this scope work. Can you suggest an easier or better way to figure out this scope? I wish I could move the chevrons up or down. Quarry.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 2:37:24 AM EDT
[#4]
I have the IOR Valdada M2 scope with the Dragunov reticle. We had a lengthly discussion about this reticle in a prior posting (see [url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=18&t=159450[/url]).

The Dragunov reticle was originally designed for the 762 round, which fragments at longer distances than the 223. The lower chevrons were the aiming points once you had exceeded the range of the scope using the bullet drop compensator (BDC).

On the IOR Valdada the max BDC range is 800 yards. Since the fragmentation of the 223 round makes shots of this length highly questionable, these aiming points are relatively useless using 223.

If you want to use them without cranking up the BDC, I measured the distance between the chevrons using a high resolution digital camera as: 2.5, 3.0, and 3.2 MILS apart (length between the tops of each two chevrons as you go down).

Check out [url]http://home.insightbb.com/~karlknapp2/DragunovOverview.pdf[/url] for my summary of this reticle (using the IOR Valdada scope).

Karl
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 12:21:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Karl, very interesting. I too have the IOR Valdada M2 but in 308 with the DRAG recticle and am very happy with it. I personally like it better than Mil-Dots (I suck at math in my head so it confuses me to no end) or the nato style recticle.

SorryOciffer
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 1:23:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Here are a few links on using the reticle:

http://www.theavonlady.org/theofpfaq/weapons/dragscope.htm

http://www.cactustactical.com/valdada/dragunovreticle.html

http://www.dragunov.net/svd_ret.jpg

HTH
Rich
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 3:19:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Karl, that PDF is most excellent work. Thanks
SorryOciffer
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 7:43:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for all of the info and links.
What Ive finally realized is that the drag reticle is a style or design and the distances between the chevrons are going to be different for different scopes. Duuuhh!
Anyway I did get a rough measurement a few days ago by taping a piece of paper up on a window and marking where the chevrons fall from 30 feet away.
This will be enlarged 10x at 100 yds.Thismay seem like a lot of extra work but I do enjoy this little project and its going to be very accurately done. Then Ill apply the charts from JBM to the drops.
So after I get my daughter moved outto LA for her first job, and I finish the paint job on the van,Ill finally get back to the quarry.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 7:38:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Ok it was about 2 weeks ago I swore to get out to the quarry to measure the distances between the chevrons. I tink this 4th of July week coming up should be agreat time to do that. That van is finally painted and I got my daughter moved out to LA for her first job.
Now I get to have some fun.  Quarry.
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 7:38:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Chevron intervals are measured!!!
I finally got out to the quarry today to very accurately measure the distances between the chevrons. This is only for the P4x32 VOMZ Russian scope.  This scope has only 4 chevrons. I have seen that other Dragunov reticles have 5 and they may also have different intervals.
    I measured off 100 yards in the quarry. Accurate to within 1 foot. Then I had a 5 foot tall 1x6 standing vertically with 1/4 inch black rubber bands stretched over the 1x6 and spaced approximately where I thought they should be. After about 8 or 9 trips back to the stand I had the horizontal black rubber bands resting exactly on the tops of the chevrons. That was it. Short and sweet and simple. It only took about 2 hours to get it right.
Results. The intervals between the chevrons from the top down are:
12 3/4
14 1/8
15 3/4

This should be accurate to within 1/8 inch as I made the last 3 or 4 trips back to the stand fine tuning to within 1/8 inch.
All I need now is a 600 yard range to see how
well this scope will do.  Quarry.

Link Posted: 7/5/2003 4:32:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Rubber bands and a 1x6 piece of wood; now that's my kind of science. I can see the Soviets using just such an aparatus during product development. [;)]

Nice work Quarry, but I'm still glad I ordered the NATO reticle. Sgt Bob.
Link Posted: 7/5/2003 8:12:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Thats for sure. No duct tape and wire and bubble gum here on this high tech tightly speced piece of engineering. Just high tech black rubber bands and genuine wood.
    Actually I was surprised I was able to tell if I was sighted just an 1/8 inch tooo high.  I may set up a 4 foot tall target at 100 yards and use all 4 chevrons shooting 4 groups of 5 and measur the distance between those groups.
The NATO reticle is probably a better choice I agree but I think Ill just wait  til the money shows up for an ACOG. Quarrry in Wi.
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 8:37:56 PM EDT
[#13]
I don't yet own one of these scopes myself, but I thought this may help.
[img]http://www.hunt101.com/img/050871-big.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 9:36:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for the IOR pages Sunset. I wasnt sure that  the specs on any of the dragunov reticles were right for the VOMZ 4x32 so I had to measure the chevron intervals myself. In fact I just found out that the rangefinder interval is 70 yards/meters instead of 100 yards/meters. I forget where I saw that but I could find it again.
    Im hoping this is a tough little scope. Im wondering if anybody here has any experience with this scope in short  range or long range. Quarry in Wi.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top