Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/28/2003 8:19:29 PM EDT
Anybody have a good source for targets to make sighting my aimpoint in at 50yrds easier? Specificaly, targets designed for aimpoint sight-in. It would be really sweet if it was free and downloadable.

Edited to add: if there are any other objects that would work feel free to chime in.
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 8:48:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Are you having problems getting the last few inches of adustments, getting a good group or just getting the Aimpoint on target?  

A low cost way to get a rough setup is to place the upper with out the bolt on sand bags at the range (or out the window at home), then looking through the bore at a high contrast target adjust the Aimpoint to be on that target at 25 to 50 yards.  

I have had good luck with my Aimpoint on standard black targets (use the six bull targets for muzzle loaders as ends up I shoot flint locks and NFA ... leaving the rest home [:)]

At the range fire a group of three rounds, then place the rifle on the rest with sand bags front and rear, aim at the target again, then with out moving the rifle adjust the Aimpoint to the center of your three round group.  You should now be sighted in, or at least close enought to adjust the last little bit using the calibration on the horz and vert adjustments (I always adjust only half the distance at the end).

Best to do the sighting in with a cool clean dry barrel that you have already fired a couple rounds to take care of any fire round fliers)

--- Early posting on "found" targets ----

At 50 yards a 4 MOA Aimpoint dot should cover a 2 inch diameter circle (if had more than 2 hours sleep in last two days would have the M16 out now to check ;-).  

Assume would be nice to have the target a little larger than this and a high contrast with the background color you could:

Use a black target of 3 inch or less bulls eye

Print a black 2.5 to 3 inch circle.

Use half of a 3 by 5 note card (white on dark works also)

Cut cirle out using something round (coke can top is 2 inch dia and Bushes Beans is 3 1/4 inch).

If you do not live in Michigan use the end of the Coke can (cost a dime in Michigan for the can deposit so best to buy targets).

Regards
John

Link Posted: 8/28/2003 10:18:59 PM EDT
[#2]
I just spent 3.5 hrs today trying to sight in my aimpoint comp ML2, it was a nightmare, and the sun got the better of me. GOTTA LOVE  the south MS days. Either way I went out to Walmart and bought a bore sight for $50. The information included said that it would sight in at 100 yrds with out any diffuculty, just follow the directions, 15 minute and I was done. Anyhow I am going to test it at the range in the morning. I'll let you know how it works. Hey if it doesn't work they'll take it back anyhow. If it does work that's less ammunition to buy.
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 4:05:06 AM EDT
[#3]
bigjohn,
don't be surprised to see your POI walk off a little. sometimes you need a shot or two to settle the settings.  You might want to sight in an aimpoint at a closer range than 100 yds as well.
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 5:35:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Usually, problems sighting in an Aimpoint come from turning the wrong knobs [;)].  Seriously, if you have the sight rotated 90 degrees, elevation is now windage and vice versa.  

A standard B3 bullseye works fine at 50 yds for me.  A couple of shots intot he backstop to get an idea where they are going and adjust away until you are on the paper, then fine tune.  Use 3 shot groups and you should be doen in less than 1 30 rd mag.
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 6:23:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Anybody have a good source for targets to make sighting my aimpoint in at 50yrds easier?
View Quote

The 50 yard M16A2 zeroing target works fine.

You can download it for free from [url]www.MD-AR15.com[/url]

You'll find it in the Documents section, in the Targets folder.  BTW you'll have to sign up as a site member to get access - but its free and only takes a minute.
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 6:56:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the tips. All of them are helpfull.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top