Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/19/2003 10:01:30 PM EDT
Looking for opinions on whether a douglas 1:8 or wilson match 1:8 barrel would be a better choice for my SPR.I'm not a good enough shot for a Krieger or CLE barrel! I'm going to have it contoured after I get it so which do you guys think would be the best base barrel?
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 7:17:47 AM EDT
[#1]
If you're not a good enough rifleman to realize the benefits of a Krieger, then a Douglas is probably above your realm as well. No offense intended; I'm the same way. Douglas is also more expensive (on the order of 2x) than Wilson, which may be an influencing factor.

My 20" Wilson 1x8 stainless bull barrel has turned in sub-1/2 MOA groups at 100 yards with Federal GMM, and sub-MOA with Winchester Q3131A. I'm sure the barrel can do it consistently, but the jerk behind the trigger can't. :-P

I've been contemplating having this barrel turned down to a SPR-type contour and having a proper target crown put on, but I'm afraid it will screw up the harmonics or something. Hate to ruin a known-accurate barrel, but sure would be nice to get some of that weight off the front end. :-(

[IMG]http://mywebpages.comcast.net/shooter2_indy/graphics/hbar_right.jpg[/IMG]

Link Posted: 11/20/2003 7:23:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Douglas.

Edited to add:  I've seen too many of you "I'm not a good enough shot.............." guys to fall for it anymore.  Too many of you can shoot dime size groups at 100 yds !!

5sub
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 7:44:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 9:43:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Bigbore,
Please describe detail of picture!
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 1:56:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Real SPR's use a Douglas.  That should be enough convincing [;)].
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 2:41:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 2:45:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 7:53:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Real SPR's use a Douglas.  That should be enough convincing [;)].
View Quote
I think those snipers arent good enough riflemen to realize the benefits of a Krieger. [;)]
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 8:17:54 PM EDT
[#9]
: WHy are you limited to only a couple of brands, and why do you need a brake/fh on your spr barrel?
 Is this just a kewl factor or am I missing something? It seems the only thing that makes you lads rifles special is what is on the end of the barrel, otherwise it's just a heavy barrel ar isn't it?
 I'm not trying to be an @sshole, I just don't understand what makes an ar and spr other than the scope and what's on the end of the muzzle?
 I just decided to build a heavy barrel ar and am quite saddened AAAIIEEEE that there aren't very many mfg's making fluted AR barrels. We're sort've a captive consumer in that market aren't we.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 9:33:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Yes, in the case of the Ops. Inc. muzzle brake, it's the "cool factor" since very few can acquire the suppressor that fits on it.  However, the real deal Ops. Inc. 2-port muzzle brake has supposedly been found to enhance accuracy.  I have one on mine, but I personally see no need for muzzle brakes on AR's other than the cool factor.  However, my SPR is the real deal military issue so it came with one.  They aren't even approved for post ban use.

Mine has the Douglass barrel, though Kriegers are used too.  The Kriegers are a factor better than the Douglass. However, if you aren't going all the way with your SPR (fanatical about accuracy), don't feel you have to get the Douglass unless you can afford it.  I have seen too many AR's shoot under 1/2"-3/4" without special expensive barrels (got lucky mostly).  And yeah, I'll say it, I can't shoot as good as my barrel cause I know I don't have the skill - yet.  It's so bad, I am having someone else do it for me right now.  HAHAHA! Seriously...  I want to see what my upper can do and I am not the man to do it.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 3:10:38 AM EDT
[#11]
I was speaking with a local builder about barrels. He told me that he has never seen a bad Krieger barrel, they are always consistent, basically you know what you are getting. Douglas barrel are good, bu the said he has seen them with faults. As with others, most of the time they work just as good, but you never know. I had an Olympic (SUM) that would do 1/2" also.

In other words with a Krieger, you can't blame the barrel.

Mark
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top