Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/3/2004 3:10:52 PM EDT
Does the Vortex flash hider provide any recoil compensation, or only hide muzzle flash?

-J
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 3:29:56 PM EDT
[#1]
No.  If you want a comp, buy a good comp.  I've got a friend of mine who spent the better part of a match pissed off at his Izzy brake.  He wanted something that "looked" a little better than the Mini-Y and wasn't as loud.  He learned the old maxim "Pretty is as pretty does" the hard way.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 3:45:28 PM EDT
[#2]
yea, it adds 4 inches to my e-penis
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 4:40:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Okay, lets invert the question. Is there a good compensator that also (significantly) reduces muzzle flash?

A96HondaAccordEX: Is it VTEC?

-J
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 6:37:15 PM EDT
[#4]
No, the Vortex is designed to function purely as a flash eliminator, not as a muzzle brake.    
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 4:27:19 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Okay, lets invert the question. Is there a good compensator that also (significantly) reduces muzzle flash?

A suppressor
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 6:08:40 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

A96HondaAccordEX: Is it VTEC?

-J

Phantom 5C1
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 3:34:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 8:36:25 PM EDT
[#8]
The Cav Comp works very well as a comp.

Vortex, Phantom and GI 3-prong are great at getting rid of flash, but no compensation.

The A2 does a bit of both, not perfect at either.

Brakes?  On an AR-15?  AR's don't need brakes.  All brakes are good for is pissing off your neighbors on the line.

And AR's don't have much muzzle flip.  So, it is mainly a matter of figuring out what your priorities are.

That being said, my daytime stuff has A2's, my nighttime stuff has 3-prongs.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 8:45:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Remember those old Fabian Brothers comps/flashiders. They looked like a long A2 with a chamber behind the flashhider with a bunch of holes in the top.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 7:11:01 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Brakes?  On an AR-15?  AR's don't need brakes.  All brakes are good for is pissing off your neighbors on the line.

And AR's don't have much muzzle flip.  So, it is mainly a matter of figuring out what your priorities are.

You could not be more wrong.  Evidently you've never done any competitive shooting.  You should check out an IPSC 3-gun match, or a tactical match.  When you're running that AR "at speed", an effective muzzle brake makes the difference between being competitive and getting your ass handed to you.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 4:36:42 AM EDT
[#11]
+1

VSP
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 12:16:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top