Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/4/2005 6:15:11 AM EDT
I see that most people here paint their Ar's in a desert like finish.
that would be great for me if I lived in the desert.
I live outside of Dallas and everything around me is just the regular ol' bush.
OD green furniture would be ok, but I want to see if there is anybody here that has use the forest camo shceme.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 6:39:25 AM EDT
[#1]
If I lived in west Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, Nevada, desert camo might make sense.  But I don't, so I never considered desert tan or desert camo.  

I have two AR's in OD, and that blends well where I live.

I had an Armalite that I had ordered for one of my son's, and it came in to the dealer with a factory camo job, RealTree.  We called the distributor and he said he was out of the regular black, sent that at no additional charge.  Well, it looked tacky.

My son was not thrilled either.  We sold it, and I bought him a DPMS lower and a cherry picked some parts, and let him assemble it with a little guidance.  This was probably the best thing to do anyway.

Later the guy I sold the camo Armalite to had me disassemble and strip the camo off.  

I don't mind woodland or tigerstrip, but RealTree is just... strange.

Edited to add: I am familiar with the area around Dallas, have been through there many times.  Solid OD or Woodland would work well for you, such as the finish in Cowboy's picture farther down this thread.

Here's one of mine in OD:

Link Posted: 10/4/2005 6:46:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Don't overlook a basic OD Green.  The ones I've done end up with a little black, but still blend in pretty well in brush.

Link Posted: 10/4/2005 7:36:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Here's mine, its mostly OD but with some brown and a wee bit of tan in it.

Link Posted: 10/4/2005 3:05:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Actually I just did one.

Link Posted: 10/4/2005 3:22:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Looks good.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 3:28:46 PM EDT
[#6]
freeman & azreal, very nice lookin ARs.you guys are gonna make me either spend mo money for paint or fuck up what I have
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 3:39:19 PM EDT
[#7]
I think I'm going to end up painting one mostly flat dark earth after almost walking up on a deer (read as almost walking on a deer) laying down under a pear tree eating pears.  That rascal wasn't painted green and the grass is very green.     Oh yeah, nice rigs guys.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 4:18:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Old picture of my AR10 in it's environment.

What it looks like now, still just as effective.

Link Posted: 10/4/2005 4:38:34 PM EDT
[#9]
If you have a flat top or rail system, put ladders over it all before you paint. When you take the ladders off, the black rails give a cool look and give the whole pattern something different.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 5:02:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the compliments guys! I'm really happy with how it turned out.
Next time I will tape off the rails I intend to use. It was tough to get the paint off enough to get my ARMS mount to close.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top