Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 10/20/2004 12:17:24 PM EST
Do you treat the lower with anything gefore the "Build"

Do you use any type of oil or anything else before you start assembely? I'll be starting my first build next week. Are there any spare parts that I should keep on hand at first?

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 12:18:36 PM EST
No but I did blow / brush mine out to be sure there weren't any metal filings or dust or crud in it.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 12:22:07 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/20/2004 12:22:34 PM EST by Ky_Bob]
Blow out the push pin detent spring holes. I almost always find crap down in there. Also put a layer of masking tape topped with duct tape around the area where you will be driving in the bolt catch release paddle. It is easy to scratch that area if you slip. I oil afterwards to have a better grip during assembly.

Good luck, have fun!

Bob
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 3:23:43 PM EST
Quite often I coat it with Norrells Moly Resin, especially if I am building up a new weapon, or a person wants an exact match with an old receiver.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 3:27:10 PM EST
If I am going to treat a lower.... I treat it to a nice steak dinner. Maybe a movie. If it's gonna server me well for years to come, I wanna get off to a good start.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 3:40:33 PM EST
i didnt "treat" my recievers with anything, oilwise...but i DID refinish both upper and lower with KG gunkote before assembly.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 4:30:30 PM EST

Originally Posted By Ky_Bob:
Blow out the push pin detent spring holes. I almost always find crap down in there. Also put a layer of masking tape topped with duct tape around the area where you will be driving in the bolt catch release paddle. It is easy to scratch that area if you slip. I oil afterwards to have a better grip during assembly.

Yup.

What Bob says...

Plus, I always put some neverseize stuff on the buffer tube threads when I torque it on.

Otherwise, I just lightly oil after completing assembly, just because I like the looks that way. By the way, I said lightly oil.

Link Posted: 10/20/2004 4:50:25 PM EST

Originally Posted By FALARAK:
If I am going to treat a lower.... I treat it to a nice steak dinner. Maybe a movie. If it's gonna server me well for years to come, I wanna get off to a good start.

Top Top