Site Notices
Posted: 9/29/2004 10:53:58 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:55:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:58:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 11:30:14 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm debating wether or not the term "smart weapon" applies...
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 11:44:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 12:29:43 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I'm debating wether or not the term "smart weapon" applies...

"smart" is not the word I would use.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 12:39:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Old photo.

At last count it's at least 18 months old.

But it's still funny.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 1:09:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 1:27:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Well, if he traverses too far to the right, he could bring down that airplane.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 1:55:52 AM EDT
[#9]
I would like to see the video of the guy who took down a good sized plane with an M16 or similar weapon.......

Wes
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 4:07:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Nope, it is for strafing runs only.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 4:09:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Only if you use the Blended Metal bullets!  
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 4:24:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Crowd control....the 30mm is a bit too much.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 5:09:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Shop a caption on that and send it to the PS'ed picture thread... that is AWESOME!!!
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 5:12:11 AM EDT
[#14]
It's the googles that crack me up.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 4:37:19 PM EDT
[#15]
"That boy ain't right"
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 4:49:04 PM EDT
[#16]
hell yea!!

if he was INSSDE the plane
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 4:51:35 PM EDT
[#17]
hey a box cutter can take down an airplane
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 6:08:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 6:31:34 PM EDT
[#19]

Well, if he traverses too far to the right, he could bring down that airplane.

Nope, not that plane.  He might kill the pilot, but he aint likely to knock down an A-10.  If he shot the cockpit area below the window the backblast of the richocheting bullet fragments may get him if he is too close.  I worked on a few of these things when I was in the AF.  That thing is a flying tank with a badass gun.  I think someone could take down a plane if they knew what they were doing...but this thread is mainly about a funny pic.  Good pic by the way.

Wes
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 7:36:51 PM EDT
[#20]
How about this for a caption... it's the one I'm sending out in my e-mails.

These are the new weapon systems being developed in a joint R&D contract between Lockheed Martin and Heinz Corporation.

If JFKerry gets elected "Heeee has vowwwwwed to deeeeploooooy this weaponnnnn immediately to aaaaaaid in the warrrrrrr in Iraq."

www.gunwares.com/images/public/secretweapon.jpg
www.glennbeck.com/picoftheday/09-29-04-pod.jpg

Who says the military doesn't have a sense of humor, even when stop lossed, deployed to the desert for >a year, and continuing to serve knowing there is the remote possibility that JFKerry may be their commander in chief. That's what I call committment!!

Link Posted: 9/30/2004 9:09:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Lots of helicopters in Nam went down to AK47s and such, but usually only after lucky hits or hitting the pilots

Fact.  I saw on a Histoy channel documentary where a desperate (and lucky as ....) US pilot drifting down in his parachute shot a German ME 190 pilot in the skull with a Colt 45.  Only occurance I ever heard of such fire bringing down any FIXED wing airplane since WWII or during WWII.

In WW1 lots of small biplanes took rifle fire and lost power.  Not to mention lots of pilots gettin shot after accidentally flying over an enemy platoon or division..

But a modern plane going down from rilfe fire....No way. It would take a shot to the pilot.  And the A-10 itself can take more damage than any other plane including the workhorse B-17.  And an IAF F-15 once flew with only one wing.  It had to fly at near Mach 1 all the way to landing and nearly overshot the runway, but the body had the lift to keep her going at speed.  But no non magnum rifle has what it takes to inflict enough damage

Get a Barret 50 cal or something like a 458 Lott or 338 Laupa and a lucky shot.. then you can take out an engine
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 9:13:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Hmm... how bout put an Al Keida prisoner on an A-10 like that and see if he is ok on landing... now thats prisoner abuse for ya. Dont give him a gun of course.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 10:21:06 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Hmm... how bout put an Al Keida prisoner on an A-10 like that and see if he is ok on landing... now thats prisoner abuse for ya. Dont give him a gun of course.

Shit, that'd be fun!!!  Where do I sign up?!
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 12:01:53 AM EDT
[#24]
It's all about shot placement!
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 4:47:30 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Lots of helicopters in Nam went down to AK47s and such, but usually only after lucky hits or hitting the pilots

Fact.  I saw on a Histoy channel documentary where a desperate (and lucky as ....) US pilot drifting down in his parachute shot a German ME 190 pilot in the skull with a Colt 45.  Only occurance I ever heard of such fire bringing down any FIXED wing airplane since WWII or during WWII.

I think it was "Aviation History" which not so long ago printed a story about a dogfight between an L5(?) and a Fiesler Storch.  They got into a turning dogfight, with the observer in the American plane firing repeatedly with his M1911A1.  Eventually, the German dug in a wingtip and crashed.  The L5 landed and took the Germans prisoner, one of whom had a gunshot wound in the leg.  The spent bullet was found in the prisoner's boot when it was removed.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 6:03:29 AM EDT
[#26]
"Crude, but effective..."

Johnny C!
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 6:31:04 AM EDT
[#27]
could be wrong, but doesn't the jarhead basic bible have detailed instructions on how to take down aircraft?  i think it was 200m lead on fixed wing and 100m for choppers.

that pic is my new desktop.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 6:40:43 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

In WW1 lots of small biplanes took rifle fire and lost power.  Not to mention lots of pilots gettin shot after accidentally flying over an enemy platoon or division..

But a modern plane going down from rilfe fire....No way. It would take a shot to the pilot.  And the A-10 itself can take more damage than any other plane including the workhorse B-17.  And an IAF F-15 once flew with only one wing.  It had to fly at near Mach 1 all the way to landing and nearly overshot the runway, but the body had the lift to keep her going at speed.  But no non magnum rifle has what it takes to inflict enough damage

Get a Barret 50 cal or something like a 458 Lott or 338 Laupa and a lucky shot.. then you can take out an engine

Dig out the history books.

Very few aircraft are as well armored as the A-10.  Most military aircraft are _very_ vulnerable to rifle fire.  The hard part isn't damaging or destroying an aircraft with a rifle bullet, it's managing to connect the rifle bullet with the aircraft.

www.globalsecurity.org/military/library/report/call/call_2-88_chpt4.htm
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 8:41:02 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Still not good enough on an A-10.. gotta take them BOTH out.  Oh, and the A-10 was literally built around the 30mm tank buster gun in the nose.  In technical terms... it's a flying bigass gun, my bet is it gets you first.  Running away or hiding in a bunker won't help you either.  Probably best to play dead and wait for it to move on.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 8:53:43 AM EDT
[#30]
A10

Battle damaged aircraft is at the bottom of the page.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 3:24:08 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Still not good enough on an A-10.. gotta take them BOTH out.  Oh, and the A-10 was literally built around the 30mm tank buster gun in the nose.  In technical terms... it's a flying bigass gun, my bet is it gets you first.  Running away or hiding in a bunker won't help you either.  Probably best to play dead and wait for it to move on.

Agreed.  The A10 is about the most redundant and toughest plane in the world and definitely in our military.  Russia's SU 25 Frogfoot is pretty tough.  As is our B-52, old B-17, P-47, and believe it or not the F-16 has a tough reputation.  The A-10 has survived direct missile hits and had large chunks of metal shot off by AAA.  Yes it will fly with only one engine... and while fully loaded once its in the air.  It is stealthy in its own sense due to low altitude agility and a slow loiter speed.  Plus its quiet, .......ok back on topic

No regular rifle round will bring down anything like the A-10.  You would be lucky to take out the engine and if you did... it would still fly and kill you worser

The armor on many planes new and old would simply stop most hits from 5.56 and some hits from 308....ok ill shut up now
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 4:00:25 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Shit, that'd be fun!!!  Where do I sign up?!

Pakistan, I hear.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 4:24:54 PM EDT
[#33]
THAT WHAT I CALL DUMB BOMB!!!!!
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 4:37:57 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Agreed.  The A10 is about the most redundant and toughest plane in the world and definitely in our military.  Russia's SU 25 Frogfoot is pretty tough.  As is our B-52, old B-17, P-47, and believe it or not the F-16 has a tough reputation.  The A-10 has survived direct missile hits and had large chunks of metal shot off by AAA.  Yes it will fly with only one engine... and while fully loaded once its in the air.  It is stealthy in its own sense due to low altitude agility and a slow loiter speed.  Plus its quiet, .......ok back on topic

No regular rifle round will bring down anything like the A-10.  You would be lucky to take out the engine and if you did... it would still fly and kill you worser

The armor on many planes new and old would simply stop most hits from 5.56 and some hits from 308....ok ill shut up now

Don't leave out the F-15!  It can fly on one wing!

Oh hey, off the top of your head what's the lead on a 400mph target at a mere 500meters?
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 4:55:07 PM EDT
[#35]
Since the 5.56 round was designed only to wound, I would guess you could only wound an aircraft with it.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 5:23:17 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't leave out the F-15!  It can fly on one wing!

Oh hey, off the top of your head what's the lead on a 400mph target at a mere 500meters?

125 meters.....really...I worked it out for a 16 inch barrel shooting M193

Bout 120 from a 20 incher
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top