Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/1/2009 10:44:51 AM EDT
I need a couple small boxes of taper pins parkerized guys.  I want them to look good, and just like a Colt taper pin, or thereabouts.
I have been told by trusted sources that these taper pins should be BEAD BLASTED FIRST, and then parkerized.
 Does anyone here do both bead blasting AND parkerizing?

I basically have a small box of plain steel taper pins, that need bead blasting and parkerizing.

AND

I have another small box of STAINLESS STEEL taper pins, which are shiny/polished looking, and I just need them bead blasted.  The look I'm going for with these SS pins, would be similar to that of a Noveske SS barrel, or a VLTOR SS gas block.  You all know what I mean.
 Please let me know if you can help out.  I know I've seen several guys here on this forum who do this sort of thing, but I have been unable to find the old posts which mention this info.
 Thanks for any help guys.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 11:15:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Adco could probably do that for you.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 12:32:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 12:35:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Adco could probably do that for you.

After prepping steel parts, I bought a small parking kit from Brownell's and parked a lot of stuff.  No reason why you can't either..

I prepped the parts, heated the solution just to boiling in a microwave, and added the items.  Agitate with a plastic or wood item.  Practice first, but it's easy if you follow directions.

Main thing is no oil or grease on the parts, whatsoever, nice, bare metal surface, and having the chems mixed right and at proper temp

All of this is simple stuff, just follow directions to the letter, and use care.  The kit will last a Looooooooong time..

Yeah, I've done the same thing (did you see my e-nickel thread in the refinishing forum? shameless plug) but the OP seemed to want someone else to do it...

I'm going to do some bluing later.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 8:51:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Yeah guys, I was wondering if anyone here on the forums would like to do this for me.  I know ADCO can do it, and I just may end up going with them, but I thought I'd try finding someone who could get to it right away, and then ship them back out to me fairly soon too.
 I realize ADCO is pretty good with turnaround times, but as stated, I thought I'd see if I could get it done quicker.

I normally like to do all my armorer/gunsmithing/etc work myself, in fact, I PREFER to do so 99% of the time.  However, in this case, I no longer own a bead blasting cabinet, and I want these done right.  Proper parkerizing is done only AFTER you bead blast the parts to be park'd.
 Some guys skip this step, but the parkerizing job is much better if you do not skip the step.  Bead blasting creates a very fine, porous surface, and that is what parkerizing likes.
 Anyhow, I'll keep looking for someone, and if I don't find anyone soon, I'll ship them to ADCO.  I'll probably end up doing that anyhow.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 9:09:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 9:27:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Yeah, I am still kicking myself for selling my cabinet a few years ago.  Gotta get a new one for sure...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top