Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/5/2003 4:21:16 AM EDT
I've got a Colt preban AR15.  The rear takedown pin is of "pushpin design".  No problems there.

The front takedown pin requires TWO screw drivers to tighten and seems to be offset.  Rotating the pin tightens-or loosens the upper reciever.  What is wrong with using the same design for both?  

This does not seem like such a good idea.  It is as though someone put a lot of time and energy into making something so simple, so damn complicated.  I'm sure I am missing something so somebody please fill me in.

Thanx
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 4:38:12 AM EDT
[#1]
This is normal, you should be able to have it smithed and a push pin installed.
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 6:40:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Colt spent a great deal of time doing things like this in an apparent attempt to make the rifle 'less' military... or more proprietary... take your pick.

Options are available to change out the double screw setup...

[url]www.bushmaster.com/shopping/lowers/oak-01.asp[/url]

edited for link
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 10:43:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 3:54:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Check out this link to DPMS's accessory pins page:

[url]http://www.shooterstore.com/acb/showprod.cfm?&DID=90&CATID=494&ObjectGroup_ID=1369[/url]

They have the steel quick-takedown pins for the large hole (.312") uppers/lowers, and for the small hole (standard mil-spec .250") uppers/lowers.

There are also offset screws/nuts to connect large-hole assemblies to small-hole assemblies.

HTH,
Gabe

[Edited because "quick-takedown pins" are not the same as "pushpins."]
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 9:02:03 PM EDT
[#5]
gman552,

Does the dpms quick-take down pin you mentioned require any gunsmithing to fit/work?
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 6:53:28 PM EDT
[#6]
The quick-take down pins do not require gunsmithing, they just replace the pivot screws at the front of the lower.  They are not captive, thus you can push them out completely from left to right.

The "pushpins" on the other hand, have a groove along the length of the pin, into which a detent under spring pressure fits.  These pushpins are captive, and will not fall out the other side.

As Troy mentioned, the pushpins require a lower receiver which 1) has a "fence" around the mag release, and 2) is drilled for the detent.

HTH,
Gabe
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 3:45:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Troy --

Not even the XM16 had a "two screw" pivot pin, the M16 certainly never had one.  Some very early military AR15 rifles (the select fire models) may have had 'em, but it's been 40 years.

-- Chuck

Link Posted: 1/7/2003 4:59:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Who would anyone suggest to do the drilling for the push pin? I just bought a HBAR to convert my post M4 to pre M4 and I want it captive like my current receiver.

[?]
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 8:52:21 PM EDT
[#9]
I think Kurt's Kustom Firearms (KKF) would be a good place to have this done:

[url]http://www.kurtskustomfirearms.citymax.com/page/page/8932.htm[/url]

Gabe
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top