Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/6/2020 12:54:30 PM EDT
I've read several suggestions that say to reduce the recommended amount of scope ring screw torque by 15-20% when using loctite since it acts like a lubricant so I wanted to see what the consensus here is?
Link Posted: 6/6/2020 1:22:39 PM EDT
[#1]
You’re supposed to but I usually forget to. Somehow the world has kept turning.
Link Posted: 6/6/2020 4:47:07 PM EDT
[#2]
No, because Loctite should be figured in the torque spec.
Link Posted: 6/7/2020 1:30:07 PM EDT
[#3]
I never use Loctite on scope ring screws. I always torque to the scope manufacturer's recommendation. I've never had a scope come loose using this method.
Link Posted: 6/9/2020 11:18:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Locktite is designed to fill the gaps between fasteners,  it keeps bolts, or screws from vibrating loose. Torque spec always remains the same,  using it, or not.
Link Posted: 6/10/2020 10:58:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/10/2020 5:59:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This is 100% true - ask not only the optics manufacturer, but manufacturers of fasteners and they will tell you that it does indeed lubricate the threads. The "Torque" on your rings is increased or decreased by how tight you bring the two halves together. If there is less resistance on the threads going in, then the fastener will drive the two halves closer together before encountering enough resistance to cause the torque wrench to cam over. Once it has cammed over and you *think* you're at the right torque, the two rings halves are compressed closer together than they should be at the actual proper spec. This is how we get impingements of internals which then can cause problems. Some people get lucky and don't have any issues - it 100% is case-by-case, but why risk it? Thread locker is designed to take up the lash in the threads of a fastener to avoid rattling loose under vibration. This is only important in cases where the two pieces being joined are directly abutting. In the case of rings, there is a gap between the two halves of the rings that you are joining with the fasteners. This causes tension in the fastener which in and of itself takes up the lash in the threads and actually acts as a mechanical "Thread locker" which keeps the fasteners from backing out under vibration. We never have used loc-tite here on all our guns - hunting, shooting, competition, precision, full auto, big bore, SCAR17, etc and have no issues.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've read several suggestions that say to reduce the recommended amount of scope ring screw torque by 15-20% when using loctite since it acts like a lubricant so I wanted to see what the consensus here is?
This is 100% true - ask not only the optics manufacturer, but manufacturers of fasteners and they will tell you that it does indeed lubricate the threads. The "Torque" on your rings is increased or decreased by how tight you bring the two halves together. If there is less resistance on the threads going in, then the fastener will drive the two halves closer together before encountering enough resistance to cause the torque wrench to cam over. Once it has cammed over and you *think* you're at the right torque, the two rings halves are compressed closer together than they should be at the actual proper spec. This is how we get impingements of internals which then can cause problems. Some people get lucky and don't have any issues - it 100% is case-by-case, but why risk it? Thread locker is designed to take up the lash in the threads of a fastener to avoid rattling loose under vibration. This is only important in cases where the two pieces being joined are directly abutting. In the case of rings, there is a gap between the two halves of the rings that you are joining with the fasteners. This causes tension in the fastener which in and of itself takes up the lash in the threads and actually acts as a mechanical "Thread locker" which keeps the fasteners from backing out under vibration. We never have used loc-tite here on all our guns - hunting, shooting, competition, precision, full auto, big bore, SCAR17, etc and have no issues.

@VortexOptics

What about bases and mounts?
Link Posted: 6/11/2020 9:19:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/11/2020 9:26:58 AM EDT
[#8]
https://youtu.be/O96AUlIBkU8
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 4:41:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
https://youtu.be/O96AUlIBkU8
View Quote

Very interesting vid
Link Posted: 6/13/2020 3:27:14 AM EDT
[#10]
No, but with caveate: I use scopes and mounts that have a 25% safety margin even before you rely on the "behind the scenes" safety margin the engineers built in.

Example: NX8 and Badger C1 mount. The NX8 is meant to be mounted with 25 in-lb in a NF Unimount, and the Badger C1 is just fine well past 25 in-lb regarding ITS integrity, although for the commercial market, it is to be torqued to 20 in-lb.

I torqued my NX8/Badger to 20 in-lb with loctite 243. Even presuming I should have reduced torque by 25%, I am still around 25 in-lb, which both the optic and mount are fine at, per the factory.

I do not believe in torquing a dry bolt. Every single case study I have seen with dry bolts being torqued, shows greatly varying tension at equal torque. Lubing bolts makes torque vs. tension much more uniform across an assembly.

-I called Geissele, they use a light preservative on the scope mount ring-cap bolts, and suggest you do NOT remove it.
-I read Hakkan Spuhr's mount instructions. The bolts are lightly waxed and he does NOT recommend you remove it.

Loctite has a k-factor statistically identical to light machine oil. It is not an EP type lube and will not greatly increase your tension like an EP type lubricant or grease would. It is analogous to the wax or oil in the above applications.

It is my opinion that you should consider the K-factor of loctite, and reduce torque as advised to meet spec of a manufacturer like Vortex. In fact, Vortex does the math for you, and advises 11 in-lb with loctite used, vs. the 18 advised otherwise (I do not know how they arrived at this, but it's their product, and they spec'ed it as such, so deviate at your own peril). Be advised that k-factor delta caused by adding loctite also depends on substrates of the bolt and the material you are screwing it into. For example, it will not be the same for anodized 7075 and a blued bolt, as it would for a Bobro phosphate bolt/stud arrangement. Further still, each time you remove/torque a fastener, the tension achieved will vary. You may have knocked rough area down on fresh ano/phos, and the tension values could actually increase, for example.

Again, this is why I use products with overlapping specs/safety margins as outlined in the first part of my response. You can REALLY get into the weeds, here, and this is a rifle, NOT a space-shuttle, and I just don't want to do all of that math.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top