Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 12/22/2005 2:05:31 AM EDT
I am trying to figure out the differences between the samson MRFS-C and the MI Indst. MCTAR-20 carbine length FF forend. The Samson costs about $100 more than the MI but they both also look almost identical. Is the Samson worth the $100 more? Is the barrel nut locking mech. any better or different on the Samson? I have done extensive searches on both and also in the forend sticky but cannot seem to find much about the differences. I am trying to decide which to get for my M4gery. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 4:39:33 AM EDT
two different companies making similar items with variations like every other item out there.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 8:55:28 AM EDT
Well for starters, the Samson is 4.3 oz lighter than the MI. That is pretty substantial. The MI will add almost 1/2 lb to the front of your rifle. The Samson will add less than 1/4 lb.

Link Posted: 1/13/2006 3:23:38 PM EDT
The weight looks to be the biggest advantage of the Samson over the MI. Both are rock solid from all I've read.

HS
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 8:01:21 PM EDT
MI needs to put their handguards on a diet...
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 4:58:10 AM EDT
It sounds like you are comparing a free floating handguard to a none free floating handguard, correct? If so that would explain the difference in price.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 4:17:09 PM EDT

Originally Posted By salival:
It sounds like you are comparing a free floating handguard to a none free floating handguard, correct? If so that would explain the difference in price.

Both claim to be free float in as they bolt/clamp to the barrel nut. You must remove delta ring to install these. There are some cosmetic differences & the Samson is lighter. I've prety much decided to go with the Samson now. I like the small lines running the length at venting holes on the Samson also.

HS
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:07:12 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 11:05:35 PM EDT
"MI needs to put their handguards on a diet..."

The machineing that lowers the weight of the samson rails costs money. The MI is in a lower price bracket.

If people tighten their barrel nuts to 60-80foot lbs they won't ever have to worry about being able to put enough pressure on the foregrip to turn the nut; as a side-effect their zeros won't budge either.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 8:01:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/17/2006 8:02:43 AM EDT by BravoCompanyUSA]
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 12:49:51 PM EDT

Originally Posted By BravoCompanyUSA:

MI has pins that index into the teeth of the barrel nut to prevent rotation.
If the barrel nut is installed properly, the pressure of a VPG ain't gonna spin it.

It's my understanding that as little as 38 ft/lb is considered adequate torque to tighten a barrel nut to the "next" indexed position for the gas tube and still be in spec. If your gun is NIB from a reputable manufacturer you're probably in the 60-80 ft/lb range, but a used rifle off the EE might not be that tight.

I personally think the anti-rotation tabs on the Samson MRFS are a very good idea given all the variability that can creep into an AR build. YMMV, of course.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:02:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/15/2006 3:50:29 AM EDT by metroplex]

Originally Posted By vmpglenn:

Originally Posted By BravoCompanyUSA:

MI has pins that index into the teeth of the barrel nut to prevent rotation.
If the barrel nut is installed properly, the pressure of a VPG ain't gonna spin it.

It's my understanding that as little as 38 ft/lb is considered adequate torque to tighten a barrel nut to the "next" indexed position for the gas tube and still be in spec. If your gun is NIB from a reputable manufacturer you're probably in the 60-80 ft/lb range, but a used rifle off the EE might not be that tight.

I personally think the anti-rotation tabs on the Samson MRFS are a very good idea given all the variability that can creep into an AR build. YMMV, of course.

ETA: +1
Top Top