Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/22/2005 2:05:31 AM EDT
I am trying to figure out the differences between the samson MRFS-C and the MI Indst. MCTAR-20 carbine length FF forend. The Samson costs about $100 more than the MI but they both also look almost identical. Is the Samson worth the $100 more? Is the barrel nut locking mech. any better or different on the Samson? I have done extensive searches on both and also in the forend sticky but cannot seem to find much about the differences. I am trying to decide which to get for my M4gery. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 4:39:33 AM EDT
[#1]
two different companies making similar items with variations like every other item out there.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 8:55:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Well for starters, the Samson is 4.3 oz lighter than the MI. That is pretty substantial.  The MI will add almost 1/2 lb to the front of your rifle. The Samson will add less than 1/4 lb.

Link Posted: 1/13/2006 3:23:38 PM EDT
[#3]
The weight looks to be the biggest advantage of the Samson over the MI. Both are rock solid from all I've read.

HS
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 8:01:21 PM EDT
[#4]
MI needs to put their handguards on a diet...
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 4:58:10 AM EDT
[#5]
It sounds like you are comparing a free floating handguard to a none free floating handguard, correct? If so that would explain the difference in price.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 4:17:09 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
It sounds like you are comparing a free floating handguard to a none free floating handguard, correct? If so that would explain the difference in price.

Both claim to be free float in as they bolt/clamp to the barrel nut. You must remove delta ring to install these. There are some cosmetic differences & the Samson is lighter. I've prety much decided to go with the Samson now. I like the small lines running the length at venting holes on the Samson also.

HS
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:07:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 11:05:35 PM EDT
[#8]
"MI needs to put their handguards on a diet..."

The machineing that lowers the weight of the samson rails costs money.  The MI is in a lower price bracket.  

If people tighten their barrel nuts to 60-80foot lbs they won't ever have to worry about being able to put enough pressure on the foregrip to turn the nut; as a side-effect their zeros won't budge either.  
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 8:01:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 12:49:51 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

MI has pins that index into the teeth of the barrel nut to prevent rotation.
If the barrel nut is installed properly, the pressure of a VPG ain't gonna spin it.

It's my understanding that as little as 38 ft/lb is considered adequate torque to tighten a barrel nut to the "next" indexed position for the gas tube and still be in spec. If your gun is NIB from a reputable manufacturer you're probably in the 60-80 ft/lb range, but a used rifle off the EE might not be that tight.

I personally think the anti-rotation tabs on the Samson MRFS are a very good idea given all the variability that can creep into an AR build. YMMV, of course.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:02:42 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

MI has pins that index into the teeth of the barrel nut to prevent rotation.
If the barrel nut is installed properly, the pressure of a VPG ain't gonna spin it.

It's my understanding that as little as 38 ft/lb is considered adequate torque to tighten a barrel nut to the "next" indexed position for the gas tube and still be in spec. If your gun is NIB from a reputable manufacturer you're probably in the 60-80 ft/lb range, but a used rifle off the EE might not be that tight.

I personally think the anti-rotation tabs on the Samson MRFS are a very good idea given all the variability that can creep into an AR build. YMMV, of course.

ETA: +1
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top