Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/1/2006 7:17:33 PM EDT
How much  accuracy differences are there at mid-ranges.  I understand the cause/effect of floating or not-floating, I'm just trying to decide if it's worth the investment for a mid-range critter killer.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 8:15:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Define "mid-range" and "critter?"  

Haha... seriously, IMHO, spend what you can, and enjoy it.  I'd be willing to bet that with handloaded ammo and a scope, my Superlight non-FF'd barrel could turn in some impressive groups if shot from a vise and the rate of fire was kept slow enough.  If you're going to go farther out, though, and shoot faster, from a rest,...

Poke around here, keep reading--you'll likely get the flavor of what you'll need.  
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 8:30:01 PM EDT
[#2]
mid-range - 100-300
critters - coyote and the ever evasive coffee can
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 9:48:25 PM EDT
[#3]
bump
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 12:40:31 AM EDT
[#4]
.......kind of depends on what you`re using now......and...you can go free float rather reasonably....unless you "need" to spend a lot.....you can get a tube for about 40$....if you want to do the work.....if you have a nm bbl now...or what you have is doing 1"-2" groups @ 100.....you wont realize much improvement......if you look at the fancy tubes....or match type....it will cost quite a bit more.........
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 12:46:03 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
mid-range - 100-300

At those ranges a clapped out M16A2 I had in Basic Training would hit everything you need.

IMO:

100-300 meters (close range)

300-600 meters (medium range)

600+ (long range)

I can't count how many times I've heard bench jockeys at the local gun shop bragging about their amazing hits at 100 yards + using a 10 powered scope and some kind of pimped out bolt action. I can hit man size target out to 300 yard with any AR variant properly sighted in, it's not exactly impressive as any schmoe in the military with enough range time can do the same.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 7:08:04 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
mid-range - 100-300

I can't count how many times I've heard bench jockeys at the local gun shop bragging about their amazing hits at 100 yards + using a 10 powered scope and some kind of pimped out bolt action. I can hit man size target out to 300 yard with any AR variant properly sighted in, it's not exactly impressive as any schmoe in the military with enough range time can do the same.

+1
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 7:16:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top