Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/14/2005 7:39:01 PM EDT
Is that true, are they any good?  Are there knock off's?  I am curious because I have 2 of them.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 8:40:51 PM EDT
[#1]
The Canucks used thermold mags, the Izzies used Orlites, Yanks use Aluminum, Limeys use steel....Did I miss Anyone?

ETA :"d"'s
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 9:11:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Noone uses Thermolds or Orlites anymore

everyone uses USGI aluminum
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 9:45:54 PM EDT
[#3]
ORLITES rock! They are about the best surplus mags for the money!
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 9:51:20 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/14/2005 10:01:19 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

You have been wrongly informed
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 10:03:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 4:17:02 AM EDT
[#7]
OK, I'm new to all this magazine stuff so, the 20 rounders that have a colt floorplate are pretty good, right?  I've got a 5 rounder colt and a 8 rounder.  Those should all be good, eh?  I personally like the 20 rounders, where do you find usgi 20 rounders and are they any good?  I'm not going to war or nothing but'd be nice to know which ones are supposed to work the best.  Thanks for the comments!
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 12:16:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 6:37:49 PM EDT
[#9]
There are many stereotypes about various people, but Jews are frugal.  But stupid they are not!  If they are throwing away Orlites and replacing them with USGI's, believe me, you don't want their old Orlites either.  Most of the Orlites I have seen were well used, and many, about 1/3 had cracked feedlips.  Basically, poor range mags.  I would use them for nothing else.  Certainly not plugged into my "when things go bump in the night" AR.  Why waste the money on them?  How much are they now?  $7, $8?  I would rather one new, GOOD, USGI than two or three Orlites.

No, the Israelis never used Thermolds.  

The Canadians did, and went to USGI.

If you simply must buy a non USGI mag, I can highly recommend the steel SA-80 mags.  CMMG no longer has the black steel ones I got (and was happy with), but Dillon www.bluepress.com still has some gray ones.  But why buy those for $20, and have to change the follower, when you can get USGI mags that are ready to go for less?
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 7:13:31 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
The Canucks use thermold mags, the Izzies use Orlites, Yanks use Aluminum, Limeys use steel....Did I miss Anyone?

So, who uses the teflon coated aluminum mags?
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 7:14:20 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The Canucks use thermold mags, the Izzies use Orlites, Yanks use Aluminum, Limeys use steel....Did I miss Anyone?

So, who uses the teflon coated aluminum mags?

Israel, IDF
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 10:35:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Personally, I think a grey mag in a black gun shows a distinct lack of fashion sense !

What's wrong with Orlites? I've never had any problems out of them, they're cheap($3-$15 BEFORE the ban died) , and , since I don't have a Bushy, I never have a problem with fit. I'd imagine a dirty one would be trouble, but soap,water  and a little clp after they dry makes them work fine.  Plus that black mag really blings out a clean rifle.
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 12:39:39 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Personally, I think a grey mag in a black gun shows a distinct lack of fashion sense !

What's wrong with Orlites? I've never had any problems out of them, they're cheap($3-$15 BEFORE the ban died) , and , since I don't have a Bushy, I never have a problem with fit. I'd imagine a dirty one would be trouble, but soap,water  and a little clp after they dry makes them work fine.  Plus that black mag really blings out a clean rifle.

Yea, tear them apart and put them in the dishwasher, I believe they are top-rack dishwasher safe..:)..

I need to get some USGI mags, I just got orlites because they were supa cheep during the ban, and they take paint well.  Had to cull through 20 to get the 8 or so that are in good shape..
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 4:51:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Behind every ugly steriotype is a grain of truth.

Seriously, the IDF found that droping a loaded orlite on the feed lips often resulted in a broken mag. This is not good for obvious reasons. The IDF is under a great deal of pressure to use domesticly produced materials, but US aid is free and the our stuff is quite good. The USGI magazine has it's weak spot, but it's light years ahead of the Orlite. Orlites are good range mags as long as they are in good shape.

Quoted:
There are many stereotypes about various people, but Jews are frugal.  But stupid they are not!  If they are throwing away Orlites and replacing them with USGI's, believe me, you don't want their old Orlites either.

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top