Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/18/2004 5:11:39 AM EDT
Simple question- did the M16A1 have a chromed bolt carrier?  I most likely need to replace the BC on my M16A1 clone and figured if the chrome carrier is more accurate I might as well do it right.

Thanks,

Dawg
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 6:17:48 AM EDT
[#1]
I asked a long time ago and was told some had it on early models for whatever reason but the vast majority did not.  I have no idea how accurate that is as I thought the M16 (not A1) had early examples with chromed carriers but not the A1 version.  Whatever the case its not a more accurate representation with a chromed carrier so skip it.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 6:18:47 AM EDT
[#2]
The M16A1s I had from '84-'87 did not have a chrome bolt carrier.  
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 6:23:44 AM EDT
[#3]
No.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 6:33:47 AM EDT
[#4]
No early M16s did but that was before production A1s
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 10:41:16 AM EDT
[#5]
One of the TM's, I think it is the -23, mentions chrome carriers being for training units and non-combat units.  I don't have the -23 on this computer to check at the moment.

Sarge
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 12:24:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Early XM16E1's were equipped with the hard chrome bolts and carriers. On 2/28/67 the nomenclature of this rifle was officially changed to M16A1.

So technically you could say that the chrome BC would be correct in an  early M16A1.

There were two main reasons that the chrome BC's were discintinued. One was the high cost, and it was found that the phosphated BC's lasted just as long as the chrome ones. More importantly, it was discovered that some chrome BC's cracked because they became too brittle during the manufacturing process and would fail in the field. This is why their use became limited to stateside units.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 3:40:02 PM EDT
[#7]
M16A1s did indeed have chrome bolt carriers along with chrome bolts. It was latter discovered the chrome would chip off after getting hot from heavy full auto usage. I do not know when exactly that the chrome bolts and bolt carriers were no longer used (replaced on production rifles), it could have happened sometime in the M16A1 rifle building process but the A2s never had it. The old chrome bolts and bolt carriers continued to be used in the service in A1s but only rifles that were state side I do not have access to the message but there is a message that states the use of chrome bolts and chrome bolt carriers can only be used in rifles that are stateside. Note: M16A1s were still used in the Army up into the early 90s most were used as training rifles but they were still in service none the less.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 5:10:06 PM EDT
[#8]
The spec for an M16A1 is a parkerized bolt and carrier.  

The XM16E1 had a chrome bolt and carrier.

The XM16E1 is different from the M16A1 as it doesn't have a mag release fence, or fully chromed bore.  Just a chrome chamber.

The original M16 can be found with both finishes of bolt and carriers.  It uses a slick side carrier as there is no foward assit on the original M16.

None of this means would wouldn't find an M16A1 with a chrome carrier/bolt as parts could be switched around.

Scott
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 5:04:24 PM EDT
[#9]
i was always told the chrome carriers and bolts were removed because they were to shiny
something about moonlight/sunlight/anylight reflecting off them ( who keeps the dust cover closed all the time anyway?)
just my $.02
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 7:39:27 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
i was always told the chrome carriers and bolts were removed because they were to shiny
something about moonlight/sunlight/anylight reflecting off them ( who keeps the dust cover closed all the time anyway?)
just my $.02

You were told wrong
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 6:48:28 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
just my $.02

Well.... the Marines for one.  Every time you even move from cover you are taught to close the ejection port cover first.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 8:18:58 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
just my $.02

I was told that the use of a chrome carrier removed the dry film lube within the reciever.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 8:37:51 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
One of the TM's, I think it is the -23, mentions chrome carriers being for training units and non-combat units.  I don't have the -23 on this computer to check at the moment.

Sarge

Correct. Chrome carriers are non-deployable.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 8:40:28 AM EDT
[#14]
I was told that chrome would make the baby jesus cry thus giving away a marine's position. I also heard that chrome BCs were issued in the M16A-1 until 1897 when the confederate marines discovered that the chrome would cause the rings of saturn to distort and result in huge tidal waves on the moon.

Some of you guys get too involved in dumb sh!t.

Link Posted: 10/20/2004 1:34:33 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I was told that chrome would make the baby jesus cry thus giving away a marine's position. I also heard that chrome BCs were issued in the M16A-1 until 1897 when the confederate marines discovered that the chrome would cause the rings of saturn to distort and result in huge tidal waves on the moon.

What's put the burr up your butt today? Did you wake up to find that you were out of Midol? Or maybe your bikini-wax job started to chafe overnight.

When you post asinine comments about other peoples legitimate interests and have the nerve to say that they're involved in "dumb shit" this is the kind of response that you deserve. If you've got nothing else to do go play with the other little girls on your block and leave us alone, pogue.

Link Posted: 10/20/2004 1:48:25 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Those would be the bolt carriers with "JC" stamped into them, right?
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top