Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/1/2011 2:19:31 PM EDT
Aim has a great price for pmc with the code from the NRA convention, both 55 grn,

Cannot reload SB but I do not reload so...which would you choose and why?
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 2:48:02 PM EDT
[#1]
my .02––I'd go with the PMC. It's not bad blasting ammo, plus I can reload it. But if you don't reload, sell the brass to those that do!
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 2:59:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Aim has a great price for pmc with the code from the NRA convention, both 55 grn,

PMC

OK what is the Code?
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 5:19:42 PM EDT
[#3]
NRA. It's in the Industry section.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 6:03:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

PMC

Silver Bear

I have 2k of SB for training/plinking and 3k of m855 for others

I'd go with the Bear.  I find the PMC to be equally weak and no more accurate - so I wouldn't be able to justify spending an extra $80-1$00 for the brass cases (unless I wanted some to reload). In fact, I'd go so far as to say I have better accuracy with Brown/Silver Bear vs PMC out of all 4 of my 4 AR's.  If I was going to pay PMC prices for ammo, I'd sooner go with Hornady TAP Training steel case or XM193, both of which are much hotter loaded and far more accurate.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 7:47:57 PM EDT
[#5]
I would think that with the PMC the brass cases would expand better in the chamber and cause less chamber fouling than the steel cased Silver Bear.  Any validity to this argument?
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 8:29:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

PMC

Silver Bear

I have 2k of SB for training/plinking and 3k of m855 for others

I'd go with the Bear.  I find the PMC to be equally weak and no more accurate - so I wouldn't be able to justify spending an extra $80-1$00 for the brass cases (unless I wanted some to reload). In fact, I'd go so far as to say I have better accuracy with Brown/Silver Bear vs PMC out of all 4 of my 4 AR's.  If I was going to pay PMC prices for ammo, I'd sooner go with Hornady TAP Training steel case or XM193, both of which are much hotter loaded and far more accurate.

With the code the difference is only $32.25 on 500 rounds. Does that change your thinking?

I am new to the AR and am also looking to stock up for my first build. Any concern about shooting the Silver/Brown Bear in a brand new barrel?
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 4:26:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

With the code the difference is only $32.25 on 500 rounds. Does that change your thinking?

I am new to the AR and am also looking to stock up for my first build. Any concern about shooting the Silver/Brown Bear in a brand new barrel?

I still wouldn't get the PMC.  But - that's just me; both these ammo types and many more are known quantities in my guns and I know from trial and error which ones I like and which ones I don't.  If you are new to the AR, I'd advise maybe picking up 500 rounds of each (and maybe some other popular brands too) - you cna only listento so many of us internet wieners; while we can usually give you a good steer, there is just no substitute for doing your own testing at the end of the day! :)
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 4:35:38 AM EDT
[#8]
It depends on your range, silver bear attracts a magnet and almost got dq from a match.  Yes I could explain steel jacketed, lead core, etc.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top