Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/21/2011 8:50:24 PM EDT
Any opinions on the quality level of Del-Ton parts and kits?
Link Posted: 9/21/2011 8:59:05 PM EDT
[#1]
My first rifle kit 16" middy, I love it the quality is great, Ive shot over 300 rounds without a hiccup. My friends love my rifle, no complaints.  Check the industry tab on the home page, go to the del ton listing, check what others have said.
Link Posted: 9/21/2011 9:51:02 PM EDT
[#2]
What do you want to compare it to? What do YOU want?

They are middle of the pack quality...their pricing is competitive, and they probably will go bang every time for a long time.
Link Posted: 9/22/2011 12:35:39 AM EDT
[#3]
I like mine. It shoots well.

My only complaint is that it is very finicky with steel cased ammo.

Quality seems to be on par with other similarly priced companies.

I'd wouldnt hesitate buying another delton though.
Link Posted: 9/22/2011 6:07:43 AM EDT
[#4]
I have two M4 Del-ton uppers (by uppers I mean complete upper assemblies built by Del-ton). One with a DD forearm, the other with standard handguards. I have had no issues at all with either. One is 5 years old and well used, the other is 3 years old and gets moderate use.
Link Posted: 9/22/2011 6:09:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Best kept secret in the industry to be honest.

Have about 5k rounds down mine, nary a hiccup.
Link Posted: 9/22/2011 6:41:26 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm happy with them so far.  I just did my first upper and lower assembly using mostly DTI parts.  I read on the internet that they had some issues with their bolts in the past.  But if you check out their forum in the industry section here, they said they now HP test and MPI each one of their bolts.  I still went with an LMT bolt carrier group just for S&Gs (and it was only $10 more).  Headspace between the DTI bbl and LMT bolt checked out great and the rest of their parts have worked out great. Only one slight issue.  On their 16" heavy bbl, no chrome, it had some light surface rust on the chamber and a rust streak down the rifling sort of like the chamber was left wet.  It cleaned out ok.  It also had a raised burr inside the barrel from when they drilled the gas port, but I hear this is common for new barrels and shoots/cleans out just fine, which it did.  The barrel is fully parked and it's got M4 cuts in the feed ramp.  All of their flat top upper receivers have M4 feed ramps and T-marks as well.  The hallmark on the upper indicates it was forged by Brass Aluminum Forging.  I've only shot a hundred rounds through it so far, but every shot has been flawless.

I didn't need anything assembled in my order, and they had everything in stock, so it shipped in a couple of days.  

Link Posted: 9/22/2011 12:48:22 PM EDT
[#7]
I have two assembled Del-Ton Uppers (both 20", one gov't profile, the other lightweight). I think the build quality is excellent, the parts are good, I love mine.

Link Posted: 9/22/2011 12:58:54 PM EDT
[#8]
I have about 1K rds through my 16" lightweight rifle kit sans the striped lower. It shoots fairly well for an AR, meaning 1-1/2" to 2" at 100 yds. I'm happy with it. It shoots when I want it to. The price was right. I have (had) extra parts that went into two more projects for my son and daughter.

Shipping was horrible, but I did buy it in February when almost all parts are hard to come by. Fit and finish are good. For a middle of the road price, its a good deal.
Link Posted: 9/22/2011 1:32:30 PM EDT
[#9]
I used a Delton 762x39 carbine barrel to have my friend chop and thread it for my SBR. 2100rds down the pipe. Love it.
Link Posted: 9/22/2011 4:02:51 PM EDT
[#10]
i have used various Del-Ton parts, no problems with them.
Link Posted: 9/22/2011 4:15:11 PM EDT
[#11]
ive heard nothing but good things about delton
Link Posted: 9/22/2011 5:42:34 PM EDT
[#12]
I built a 16" middy about 5 years ago and have about 3k rounds though it. When i first got it, i was having multiple FTE's. I sent the upper back and found the problem to be the gas port in the DTI barrel being out of spec. They fixed the problem, turn around less than 2 weeks and its been flawless since.  My next AR will be a spikes or BCM but that is for something different. Del-ton makes good stuff.
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 6:43:56 AM EDT
[#13]
DTI parts WORK....I have used all their stuff except a roll marked lower....GTG
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 10:58:37 AM EDT
[#14]
The DTI stripped lower that I used, built up great. My DTI carbine upper is pretty nice too

Took the DTI lower with a Charles Daley Defense mid-length upper out to the range on Saturday. Once dialed in shot 1.5" groups consistently. My limitation not the rifle's. One hiccup, a bad Adventureline GI mag, recently picked up at a local fun show, had a failure to feed issue, a quick tune up and  the mag worked as it shoud.

Link Posted: 10/1/2011 7:26:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks for all the assurances.  I had never used Del-Ton parts before.  I ordered a 16" rifle kit on the 22nd, received the delivery notice on the 29th.  My son picked it up from UPS today and I assembled a Spikes lower with the Del-Ton LPK.  The only issue was the selector detent spring was short by about 5 coils and was deformed on one end.  I keep spares of all the small parts and just put in a good spring.  A bit of slop in the selector lever and it isn't exactly vertical in the "fire" position but trial-fitting a new spare didn't change the condition.  I've found many lower receivers with crooked/oversize selector detent holes, so I might be talkng to Spikes about that.  No reflection at all on the Del-Ton parts.

I ordered the kit with Del-Ton's 16" lightweight barrel, mid length handguards and standard A2 FSB.  I  just finished swapping the flat top upper receiver for an A1/C7 unit that I had on hand to make an iron sight "retro" rifle.  Cant' wait to see how it shoots!  I'm pleased with the Del-Ton kit so far.

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top