Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/2/2006 11:48:14 PM EDT
I know some guns react better than others to dry firing. The 1911 can be dry fired all day for example. How does the AR stand up? I'd like to know if I need to get some snap caps or not.

Joshua
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 11:57:19 PM EDT
[#1]
No snap caps needed.  It will handle dry firing just fine.  
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 2:53:47 AM EDT
[#2]
YMMV, but if extended sessions of dry-firing practice are what your asking about, the snap caps are a good idea IMO.

Their cheap and give all the working parts something to hit and hang onto producing less stress on the rifle. I use 'em.

Mike
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 2:57:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Dime and rod, rod and dime, whatever, drills never seemed to hurt them in the Army....no telling how many dry fires I did doing those.  
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 8:52:44 AM EDT
[#4]
dime and rod?  is that an expression or something actually used?  I've never heard it either way...
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 9:21:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Not sure about the rod part, but the dime part is a very old practice method.  Balance a dime on your barrel.  Pull the trigger.  If the dime doesn't fall off, you aren't jerking when you fire.  
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 10:20:34 AM EDT
[#6]
I've been to the Colt armorer's course twice. Dry firing will not hurt the gun.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 12:39:11 PM EDT
[#7]
We would spen endless hours of dry firing techniques in basic training.  We would put a part of a cleaning rod in the end of the barrel and balance a dime on the rod.  If the dime fell off, you knew you were jerking the trigger instead of squeezing it.  
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 4:25:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Dry fire all you want. You wont hurt a thing.

ZitiFor"BeenAroundTheSnappingInBarrelForDays"Breakfast
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top