Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/17/2003 8:03:44 AM EDT
I've wanted an AR-15 for a looong time. Bought one a couple of months ago. I've read this board some before buying, and thought there were quite a few nutcases here, buying ammo and magazines like there's no tomorrow.

The magical day came when I brought my AR home. It was beautiful. I laughed, I cried, I fondled my gun.

Then, this overwhelming urge struck me to acquire ammo. Lots of ammo.

Unfortunately, I'm only up to 1200 rounds right now. I had to buy a SAR-1 in the meantime also.

So last weekend, with this small amount of ammunition cached away, the tremors subsided for the moment. I think the anti-depressants helped also.

But then, the next panic attack struck: I only have one 30rd magazine! So now I'm frantically looking around for mags for a decent price. I'll have to go slow so my wife doesn't catch on.

Did I mention I want an M4 upper ? I feel like a drug addict needing his next fix. You were supposed to warn me about this addiction before I got hooked myself. I may have a lawsuit here !

HELP!!!!
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 8:12:28 AM EDT
[#1]
QUICK!  Sell all your stuff on EE before it's too late...[;)]

You're  just seeing the tip of the iceberg, it gets much worse. [jump]

Link Posted: 6/17/2003 8:27:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Try here to fix the mag and ammo pains. [url]www.ammoman.com[/url] Just trying to help[:D]
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 8:29:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Love your AKA! Did you read "Inside the GRU"? or "Life in the soviet army"?
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 8:40:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Only 62 posts?  uh oh.....its gonna get alot worse.

next thing you know you'll be here, or out shooting your gun at all times!
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 8:47:01 AM EDT
[#5]
SARS, AIDS, and West Nile Virus is nothing compared with 'Black Rifle Fever'...

There is no cure.  Buying another rifle, ammo and related accessories will only provide temporary relief.  

Link Posted: 6/17/2003 8:51:28 AM EDT
[#6]
I give him four months before he posts "RIS or RAS?"

Heroin is easier to kick, zhukov.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 9:10:30 AM EDT
[#7]
LOL i have way more ammo or mags then I'll ever need.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 9:33:09 AM EDT
[#8]
ONLY 1200 rounds?
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 9:42:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Welcome to the addiction, it only gets worse! [bounce]

Just wait until Goatboy does an upgrade and the site goes down. You will be balled up in the corner with the shakes waiting for the site to come back on line.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 9:53:38 AM EDT
[#10]
IM me if you need the name of a good divorce lawyer.  [bd]
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 11:45:54 AM EDT
[#11]

Repeat after me:
Step 1: I am powerless over AR-15s and my life has become unmanageable. [:D]

Link Posted: 6/17/2003 12:47:45 PM EDT
[#12]
The powerless feeling I have is compounded by the fact that I don't really have an "open" range to blast away at. There's an indoor range not too far away, but it's no fun punching hols in paper while sitting on a chair. This is the kind of weapon which demands to see how high milk jugs will explode and stuff like that.

Anyone in Austin, TX, with a 100 acres willing to help me out ?
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 12:52:10 PM EDT
[#13]
I bought my first Bushmaster ´97, after that everything has been going downhill. My last purchase is on the left. Colt AR15 Sporter Match HBAR. I bought it yesterday...
[img]http://www.digitalpose.com/mbr/1/20320/p/359141_245884168048885951_vl.jpg[/img]

MN
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 1:00:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I've wanted an AR-15 for a looong time. Bought one a couple of months ago. I've read this board some before buying, and thought there were quite a few nutcases here, buying ammo and magazines like there's no tomorrow.

The magical day came when I brought my AR home. It was beautiful. I laughed, I cried, I fondled my gun.

Then, this overwhelming urge struck me to acquire ammo. Lots of ammo.

Unfortunately, I'm only up to 1200 rounds right now. I had to buy a SAR-1 in the meantime also.

So last weekend, with this small amount of ammunition cached away, the tremors subsided for the moment. I think the anti-depressants helped also.

But then, the next panic attack struck: I only have one 30rd magazine! So now I'm frantically looking around for mags for a decent price. I'll have to go slow so my wife doesn't catch on.

Did I mention I want an M4 upper ? I feel like a drug addict needing his next fix. You were supposed to warn me about this addiction before I got hooked myself. I may have a lawsuit here !

HELP!!!!
View Quote

Uhhhh...have you even been out to [sniper] with it yet?

Link Posted: 6/17/2003 1:24:17 PM EDT
[#15]
This is the kind of weapon which demands to see how high milk jugs will explode and stuff like that.

Depends on where you shoot em! [LOL]
[url]http://www.4matman.com/clan/downloads/video/Video030.wmv[/url]
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 1:32:04 PM EDT
[#16]
I wanted one since I was a kid. Finaly got one in 99 at age 3o. Igot the 2nd in 02. People look at me funny when i tell them i have 3000 in the 2.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 1:44:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Here is my suggestion and how I have curbed my addiction while still not abandoning my hobby.  First.  Buying additional uppers will not work.  Each additional upper will lead to another lower.  Its just the way it is.  Here is my setup and i consider it a single system with inseparable features.  I Bushmaster 20" HBAR.  Next a 16"  1 in 14 pencil barrel upper with Cav comp and .22lr M-261 conversion.  4 mags dedicated just to the .22lr conversion. a 16" J&T upper with 1-9 twist barrel on a second Bushy lower with fixed telestock goosemneck mount and OKO reddot site.  

This pretty much covers all my shooting needs for the system.  I have no desire for additional upper or lowers at this time.  I do however purchase one high cap mag per month.  I refuse to spend more than $20 for a mag.  I hand pick them at shows.  last month got a Colt 20 rounder for 10 bucks.  Finish was extremely worn but otherwise serviceable and restorable.  I alternate months as well, this month will be an AK mag, next month an AR mag.  

I will do this until i have 20 mags per rifle.  Then I will stop.  I generally bring only 3 mags to the range for each and reload them durring chit chat time.  3 mags for each remain loaded at home at all times and the remainder are stored unloaded in case any of the others wear out.  In fact off the bench I usually just use the factory BM 10 rounder.

As for ammo, i buy in case quantities, Either Wolf or barnaul, or silverbear.  I reorder about every three months.  the loaded ready mags have black hills in them as that is my Agencies authorized duty ammo.  I shoot it only to qualify and then refill.  All practice is with the cheap russian stuff or the Rimfire.  For that I buy and shoot a brick a week, leaving one 50 round box our of the brick stored for contingencies, never know if i miss the sale at the sporting goods store one weekend i will always have it.

I figure total without ammo I have about $1800 in this setup.  Some bought all at once, others bought piece at a time.  It serves me well and I hope this helps satisfy your addiction without breaking the bank.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 3:06:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I alternate months as well, this month will be an AK mag, next month an AR mag.
View Quote

Infidel!!
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 3:12:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
SARS, AIDS, and West Nile Virus is nothing compared with 'Black Rifle Fever'...

There is no cure.  Buying another rifle, ammo and related accessories will only provide temporary relief.  

View Quote

SARS, is that the disease that causes you to think that a AK is superior to an AR?
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 3:33:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Just wait until you get into the wonderful worlds of modular rail systems and accessories for all your rifles that go with it.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 3:36:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Nutcase??? I resemble that remark.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 4:12:58 PM EDT
[#22]
shotar,
It sounds like you've found medication for AR-15itis

Being too lazy to find a summer job also helps.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 4:30:49 PM EDT
[#23]
When will it ever stoooooooooooop hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahhahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahha.....haha [booze]  [whacko]
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 8:20:31 PM EDT
[#24]
SARS - Semi Automatic Rifle Syndrome!

Quarrantine yourself during the next gunshow!
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 8:55:39 PM EDT
[#25]
I was a reformed addict...after owning 8 AR's an Uzi Carbine, A couple of AK's and more handguns than I care to think about, I had settled down to a nice life of AR-15's anounomous...

Then Osama came along and screwed it all up.

On 9/12 I began buying AR parts like Elvis tuned loose in a Precadan factory.

It was like being one of those fall off the wagon drunks, that take one drink after being off the sauce for two or three years Then wind up drinking till the moneys gone.

First a Rock River lower (gotta get that serial numbered part before some middle east whack job walks into a kindergarden with an AK and stops all sales of black rifles.) Then a Rock River Mid length flat top upper with a weaver gas block...A Rocky Scope mount...Glass...Harris BR Pod...Mags...Must have mags....lots and lots of mags...must have grip with adjustable palm shelf...It just goes on and on and on (kind of like this post.)

God help me I'm right back in this pathetic addiction

You know it's bad when your local lord of greed gun dealer tells you "No Jim...I'm not selling you any more stuff, you old lady will kill me...Go home and get some sleep...you have that "I've been blueprinting AR configs in your sleep look about you...go home and don't come back in here for a couple of months.

I go home and huff break free from a rag just to stop the shakes and log on to AR15.com, a broken wretch of a man.

IF YOU DON"T STOP RIGHT NOW, THIS COULD BE YOU!

STOP WHILE YOU STILL CAN.

Before you know it you'll have a thousand posts...oh the horror!!!

Link Posted: 6/17/2003 9:44:00 PM EDT
[#26]
shotar - I have to admire your control over your addiction.  No way I could do it.

I have always been a gun nut.  I fired my dad's .22 bolt and a 16 guage Model 12 when I was five, and I never looked back.  I had a fairly extensive collection, considering my low income, when I had to sell it all to pay medical bills.  After recovering from that, I got back into guns and motorcycles - really getting into the motorcycles.

Then I bought an AR15.  New Bushmaster shorty.  Almost immediately I regretted not saving up for a preban, so I traded it out (+ cash) for a preban bushy.  I was happy for a little while, lurking AR15.com, then posting, then finding out I had missed the 2001 LEGP RRA M4gery.  I had to have it.  I found one for sale on the EE and bought it.  By this time the 2002 LEGP was in the making and I bought one out of the first batch of those.  So now I had 3 ARs - 10 mags wasn't enough.  Up to about 80 mags now.

Then I felt this need to go back to the roots of the AR15.  Only an SP-1 could fill this need, so I picked one of those up locally.

4 ARs.

Now, I need an SP1 carbine and an AR10 (going to get the 2003 SEBR to take care of that).

Oh yeah... the motorcycles?  I really should get it out of storage, but I can't seem to get the money up to get tags and insurance for it, so it sits...
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 10:25:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Hmmm.

This is very interesting to me.  Since It's been 11 years since I first wanted one, and now I have the EXACT rifle I've always wanted (BM M4 post ban A2) I don't feel the need to get another one yet.  Especially since this rifle actually feels like a friend.  I bought it 50% to shoot it, and 50% just to look at it & admire it like a piece of art!

Now that being said, I may get a new M4 type in 2004 once the ban sunsets, and I've always wanted a CAR15 'cause those 5.5" suppressers look so "Darth"-esque.. and before I discovered M4's I really liked the full length 20" with regular stock 'cause I've wanted the same as the standard Military issue, and even though I am deliberately sans scope, it was nice to shoot my buddy's AR15 with HIS scope...

OK, now I get it. :I
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 10:52:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Your AR collection is never complete until you get one of carbines and one of these rifles.

I currently have one 14.5" carbine and 20" rifle, and plan to add one more 20" rifle for more "harsh" field use. That doesn't mean my other two guns can't handle that (since I only use mil-spec stuff that are discussed a LOT in here at ARFCOM) but when you look at such piece of equipment you just can't go banging on the ground with them.

I've thought about buying another M4 profiled carbine instead of plain jane 20", but after shooting my recently acquired 20" flattop, I'm now thinking M4 type is more of a specialty CQB weapon. I liked the look of M4 more but somehow 20" just feels right now.

Excuses and more excuses...and more ARs [:D]
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 2:17:42 AM EDT
[#29]
Have you ever lost sleep over the idea of creating an indoor underground single lane range in the basement. Yeah I think it could be done.  All this damn rain is driving me nuts.  There I feel better now.  I too have just started posting on this site.  Been lurking for awhile but figured "what the hell" they seem like nice people.  Maybe a little warped, but nice.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 4:40:15 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Have you ever lost sleep over the idea of creating an indoor underground single lane range in the basement. Yeah I think it could be done.  All this damn rain is driving me nuts.  There I feel better now.  I too have just started posting on this site.  Been lurking for awhile but figured "what the hell" they seem like nice people.  Maybe a little warped, but nice.
View Quote

Speaking of indoor ranges, my buddies neighbor built one in his basement when he added an extension to his existing house.  He actully cut a hole in the foundation and layed a 25' section of 4' galvanized(I think) pipe/tubing.  He has a 75' range in his basement now and never leaves the house....
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 8:40:18 AM EDT
[#31]
I think my addiction is festering worse then "Corona and Limes disease" (Cheers!). I thought it was only a cold sore but I told the wife the other day that I was going to purchase a second lower before the ban expires. Just in case the law changes. I'm a newbie but I'm up to 5 mags and my ammo box is getting heavier. Will I be OKAY? Got to go and buy more mags...
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 9:03:36 AM EDT
[#32]
You people ????

Sir, calm down.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 5:45:39 PM EDT
[#33]
I have enough rifles for now.
I said FOR NOW!

Ammo!

I need more ammo!  I only have 90 rounds of .223 left!  The hunger pains!  Oh! The hunger pains!  I need more munitions for my Horsey!  I want to Rock & Roll with my Horsey!  I emptied all the ammo boxes last Saturday.  No more anywhere!  I need more ammo!  10 more days until Gun Show and More ammo!  Must control urges to buy 9mm.  Have to remember there is enough of 9mm to last until July 6th.  I need more 5.56 x 45.  Must try to remember that AR10 is Not Rock & Roll capable; Yet.  Need more 5.56.
More 5.56
More .223
Must buy at least 5 cases.
That should be enough tracer ammo.  Should last until Fall.
More 5.56 Ball ammo.
Must try and be glad Shrike wasn’t bought.  Better to spend on more ammo.  More ammo!
Must remember to raid to raid Rosie OD’s and Fienstein’s homes for more .223.  Have somebody on Long Island check out McCarthy’s residence for more preban magazines.  Must make effort to control shakes due to Full-Auto withdrawals.
Must get more ammo.  Must get more ammo.
Must find where Sean Penn’s pistols are and trade them for more 5.56.[whacko]
More ammo more ammo ammo more ammo more ammo more ammo more ammo more ammo[booze]
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 2:38:32 PM EDT
[#34]
Great Post !!!! We are all in this same Boat !!!
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 6:20:08 PM EDT
[#35]
YOU GUYS ARE RIGHT ON THE MONEY.I BOUGHT MY FIRST AR 2 WEEKS AGO. DPMS LOWER WITH A COLT 20" 1/7 BARREL, A3 FLATTOP, FREEFLOAT HANDGUARD, I PUT A 3-9X40 SCOPE ON IT . AND ALREADY I FIND MYSELF LOOKING FOR ANOTHER. AT FIRST I THOUGHT MAYBE I WOULD BUY A 16 INCH CAR UPPER, THEN I SAW THOSE DAMN ACE SKELETON STOCKS,AND, ACOG SIGHTS,SO NOW IM THINKING MAN I REALLY NEED ANOTHER LOWER ,DONT WANT TO BE CHANGING OUT ALL THE TIME.
I JUST GOT OVER ONE ADDICTION, I SHOT 3-D ARCHERY TOURNAMENTS FOR @ 10 YRS, NEW BOW EVERY YEAR ,BETTER SIGHT ,RELEASE,STABILIZER,ETC. HELL I HAD ALMOST $1,000 IN MY LAST TOURNAMENT BOW. BUT HELL, ITS ONLY MONEY, CANT TAKE IT WITH ME, SURE AS HELL AINT LEAVING IT TO (BIG BROTHER) UNCLE SAM.
SOME PEOPLE SAY ADDICTION, HELL THIS IS GOOD MEDICINE.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 6:38:19 PM EDT
[#36]
The addition never ends.  

Frist it was AR15's, now it's AR10's.

And don't forget Magazines

[img] http://home.hawaii.rr.com/ukulele/wimmer/Green.jpg[/img].

[toilet]

Stripling Warrior
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 9:18:00 PM EDT
[#37]
Wait until you shoot someones Full Auto for the first time. Then your in real trouble. My AR sits in the safe all the time. My M16 is king of the house now. And don't even talk to me about Ammo costs, It's like trying to refinance my house to feed the beast.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top