Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/4/2006 10:51:43 AM EDT
Does anyone have one of these? Are they that more accurate?  Does anyone know if DPMS will make a superbull-to order- in 20 or 18 inch?

DITTO- ANYONE?   SUPERBULLS....
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 10:55:26 AM EDT
[#1]
I ask/check with this guy: cmmginc.secure-mall.com/shop/?shop=1&cart=294238&cat=24&

Mike

ps - He's a good guy..., for DPMS product questions.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 11:09:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Well if you mean the 20" stainless with the 1" diamater barrel, yeah I have a upper like that. I like it real well. I have a lower with a standard trigger that is giving me problems when trying to get the best groups, I am in the process of replacing the trigger. I have less than 200 rounds thru it so far, but so far I will shoot a five shot group and three of those can be covered with a dime or nickel, but there are two flyers that open up the group. I am going to blame the trigger for that. The only thing that really bothers me is that the barrel is chambered for  a .223, apparently a tight .223. DPMS does not recommend firing 5.56 but I did shoot 25 rounds of green tip M855 just to see how it would group, it did not group that well and I did not like  the look of the cases so I intend to stick with .223 in the future. Also it is kinda heavy, not that I care so far. Black Hills 68gr, has grouped the best so far, but WWB 62gr are ok for plinking.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 11:18:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Oh- Good to know...DPMS chambers it in 223...not 5.56?  Well that may change my mind from DPMS to a Model 1 sales  VARMINT upper...............  

Are we sure about that chambering (5.56 vs 223) ?????????????
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 11:36:47 AM EDT
[#4]
This is the upper that I have
www.dpmsinc.com/10Expand.asp?ProductCode=FTBL-LR-20 I sent them a email and they said that the barrel is a .223 and they do not recommend 5.56, it did not void the warranty but they did not recommend it. Firing 5.56 might result in higher chamber pressures, see ammo-man. The thing to do is send them a email and ask them. Let us know what they say. My barrel is marked .223 1-9. I had thought that I had read the even though the barrel was marked .223 that it was actually 5.56 but that was not the response that I got. They also have their web page with 5.56 and then BULL, so the standard barrel rifles are 5.56 and the BULL barrel's are .223, or so I understand. Probably you would be ok with 5.56, but I usually follow the mfr recommendations, especially with firearms and quite a few web sites menton the differences between .223 and 5.56 so I'm gonna play it safe. I gotta try the new Wolf poly to see if it works if so, then I have cheap .223 and I am happy. Good luck.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 5:03:30 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
This is the upper that I have
www.dpmsinc.com/10Expand.asp?ProductCode=FTBL-LR-20 I sent them a email and they said that the barrel is a .223 and they do not recommend 5.56, it did not void the warranty but they did not recommend it. Firing 5.56 might result in higher chamber pressures, see ammo-man. The thing to do is send them a email and ask them. Let us know what they say. My barrel is marked .223 1-9. I had thought that I had read the even though the barrel was marked .223 that it was actually 5.56 but that was not the response that I got. They also have their web page with 5.56 and then BULL, so the standard barrel rifles are 5.56 and the BULL barrel's are .223, or so I understand. Probably you would be ok with 5.56, but I usually follow the mfr recommendations, especially with firearms and quite a few web sites menton the differences between .223 and 5.56 so I'm gonna play it safe. I gotta try the new Wolf poly to see if it works if so, then I have cheap .223 and I am happy. Good luck.

I have talked with DPMS about this .223/5.56 ammo issue in their bull barrels and they told me it was a non issue. Said you can shoot either out of their bull barrels. Maybe things have changed? I don't know.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 5:09:03 PM EDT
[#6]
I have the 16"   SS BULL   and it is a serious TACK DRIVER...

Here it is --

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=98&t=340949
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 5:10:14 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Oh- Good to know...DPMS chambers it in 223...not 5.56?  Well that may change my mind from DPMS to a Model 1 sales  VARMINT upper...............  

Are we sure about that chambering (5.56 vs 223) ?????????????

.223  vs  5.56

My opinion and obseration with DPMS and this issue..

Mine runs  brass and BOTH  types of WOLF  without a single hiccup - EVER..
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 7:54:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Well, it was a few weeks ago when I sent them a email asking if I could safely shoot 5.56 in my Bull barrel upper. The response I got was 'we do not recommend it'. The ammo-oracle and other places make it very plain that higher chamber pressures are likely to result in shooting 5.56 in .223 chambers, especially tight target type chambers. But you might get away with it. No one can say for sure. So, send them a email and see what they say. I did fire a few green tip 62gr thru mine just to check accuracy and the cases came out possibly showing signs of high pressure. But the m855 is loaded hotter than .223 so, it could have been that. I am going to play it safe. Now, not to say that if facing the Zombie hords that I would not use 5.56, but under normal circumstances, there is so much good cheap .223 out there that I can be happy. Especially if the new Wolf poly 62gr stuff works in my rifle.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 8:18:09 PM EDT
[#9]
their new catalog lists 16 and 20" super bull barrels.  not sure if you can get both twists.  
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 8:35:11 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Does anyone have one of these? Are they that more accurate?  Does anyone know if DPMS will make a superbull-to order- in 20 or 18 inch?

I have a  DPMS 20"  SST Fluted Bull Upper w/Vented Hand Guard  1:9"     I could have had it in 1:8" if I wanted....,  he had both at the time.

It's unbeliveably accurate!!

Got it from a guy on Gunbroker.com  that sells under the name AR-15 Deals  he was Awesome to deal with & got the upper to me really quick!!  

Here's one:       http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=46398811    You'll have to cut & past the link.., I don't know how to make it hot!!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top