Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/12/2009 1:08:07 PM EDT
I have one of these with the 18inch Bullbarrel. Just curious as to where i might go about getting a dust guard to go over the ejection port. I emailed dpms but haven't heard a response yet. Thanks
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 1:34:30 PM EDT
[#1]
The flat sided high rise upper of the LR308B doesn't have provisions for an ejection port door. To add a door, you'll need to get an A3 upper and swap out the barrel & handguard.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 1:35:28 PM EDT
[#2]
You have the smooth side? with no forward assist? than you are looking at a new stripped upper, and changing out all of your parts

(edit) dang, beat by just a moment
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 5:25:49 PM EDT
[#3]
well what issuses might i come across taking it hunting in desert landscape? just dust or gravel getting in? is there any other benefit to this door or is that its main purpose?
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 3:12:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
well what issuses might i come across taking it hunting in desert landscape? just dust or gravel getting in? is there any other benefit to this door or is that its main purpose?
I wouldn't worry about dirt getting in through the port while hunting. It would be no different if you were hunting with and M-1A or FAL because they are open to contamination too.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 9:46:52 AM EDT
[#5]
I had the same question.  I e- mailed dpms and they replied that they do not do any after factory modifications.  I think it makes a difference for keeping dust and debri out especially  if you are hunting in a desert environment.  I had the same problem and had to get a new upper and switch everything out.  It wasn't  hard to do but it took a while to find and get the upper.  I like it much better.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:29:52 AM EDT
[#6]
I used to have a smooth side DPMS 308B and hopefully someday I'll have another.  I never had a problem with dirt & dust causing a jam.  Just keep it clean and if it gets dirty, wipe it off.  The dust cover & forward assist are more for looks than anything else, if you keep your rifle clean.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:43:26 PM EDT
[#7]
In times of need, improvise. Take a piece of black duct tape, put it against your pants a few times to remove some of the stickiness, then place it over your ejection port. Going to a dirty place, place it on your gun. Before you shoot it, remove the tape. If you forget to remove it, the gun will remove it for you.

The upper you have is designed for snipers that arrive on the site with air conditioned vehicles, or mom and dads at home target practicing. The hunter upper has the spring open door and ejection deflector along with a bolt assist. I have both styles of uppers, and I prefer the hunter.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 1:05:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
In times of need, improvise. Take a piece of black duct tape, put it against your pants a few times to remove some of the stickiness, then place it over your ejection port. Going to a dirty place, place it on your gun. Before you shoot it, remove the tape. If you forget to remove it, the gun will remove it for you.

The upper you have is designed for snipers that arrive on the site with air conditioned vehicles, or mom and dads at home target practicing. The hunter upper has the spring open door and ejection deflector along with a bolt assist. I have both styles of uppers, and I prefer the hunter.

I agree.  When you come to a part of the hunt that is a cause for concern, cover your port with either tape or a small cloth.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 12:27:10 AM EDT
[#9]
This can't be happening, no one ever agrees with me!  lol

Today I walked into a gun store to purchase a 16" 308 DPMS.  The deal breaker was it did not have thet spring door/deflector/bolt assist.  My memory told me it did and I could not get that gun off of my mind.  I have a 24" model.  Seeing that stripped side, I shed a little tear and walked out with my money in my wallet (except for all the .308 ammo I purchased.  Bought em out.)
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 1:39:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
This can't be happening, no one ever agrees with me!  lol

Today I walked into a gun store to purchase a 16" 308 DPMS.  The deal breaker was it did not have thet spring door/deflector/bolt assist.  My memory told me it did and I could not get that gun off of my mind.  I have a 24" model.  Seeing that stripped side, I shed a little tear and walked out with my money in my wallet (except for all the .308 ammo I purchased.  Bought em out.)

ive had my LR308 for 2 yrs , never needed the  spring door/deflector/bolt assist..

but im not picky either only when it comes to tight groups

TS2
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top