Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/24/2006 7:41:45 PM EDT
Has anyone ever tried to put a bayonet on a DPMS lug?  Mine seems too long to put one on!  I have an M7 and M9 bayonet, and neither fit on there.  The bayonets both fit on my Mossberg 590 with no problem, and have also fit on other AR's, also without a problem, but mine is a no-go!  Has anyone else experienced this problem?
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 9:13:58 PM EDT
[#1]
shameless BTT
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 9:43:03 PM EDT
[#2]
I have never found a use for a bayonet other than as a fighting knife.  

If the SOB is close enough to jab, you shoulda shot him already.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 4:27:12 AM EDT
[#3]
If its to long its not the lug... its the barrel length. 16" barrels do not work with standard issue bayonets.

To use a bayonet you need a barrel that is either 14.5", 20", or uses a midlength gas system.

A bayonet will fit on a 16", but the ring will be on the barrel not on the FH has designed.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:53:20 AM EDT
[#4]
it's a 16" bbl, so the ring does mount back of the FH, but the lug itself under the FSB seems to be too long.  I have the same shape lug on my Mossberg 590, and both my baynoets mount without a problem.  I was wondering if I got something odd, or if DPMS actually does make their bayo lugs big.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 9:39:11 AM EDT
[#5]

The bayo lug on my DPMS KittyKat® upper seems to work fine!
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 12:37:36 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I have never found a use for a bayonet other than as a fighting knife.  

If the SOB is close enough to jab, you shoulda shot him already.

That's great, nice opinion. Some of us like our bayonets that we CAN mount onto our rifles if we want to- why because it looks cool! I won't buy a rifle without a bayonet lug- why? Because Clinton and the anti's hate bayonet lugs! They aren't really useful, no one really uses them but because I can, I have them, one bayonet for each rifle!
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 12:05:37 PM EDT
[#7]
USAF_Hop_N_Pop  I have also had this trouble with a DPMS lug.  You are correct, it is just a tad "technical term" too long.  Only problem with DPMS I've had.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 12:40:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Would you suggest taking the grinder to the lug and shave it until it fits?  If so, how do I cover the exposed steel so it does not corrode, and doesnt look like crap on top of the rest of the parked metal?
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 2:19:38 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
USAF_Hop_N_Pop  I have also had this trouble with a DPMS lug.  You are correct, it is just a tad "technical term" too long.  Only problem with DPMS I've had.

+1

Mine too.  Many rounds, no other problems.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:59:16 PM EDT
[#10]
So to you guys who have the bayo lug problem: what did you do about it?  Do you just live with it and have your lug as a purely cosmetic thing, do you modify your bayonets, or do you grind the lug?

Other than this, i love my rifle, and it has served flawlessly.  comming up on 3500 rds, and still waiting for anything bad to happen, and i've fed it some shit too!  It eats wolf, PD, radway, and anything else I have run through it without a hiccup.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top