Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/8/2004 11:58:59 PM EDT
After reading FALARAK's kewl post on the PermaSilk-G refinishing I went ahead and did my own version of his guide, except I used Krylon.

Ok, so in this adventure.  I started with some BEAT down old AR-15 magazines that were laying around the house and I was like "DOOD, these magazines are beat the faq up."  So I did a bit of research and it appeared that the do it yourself-er had a few choices available to him/her.  I decided to go with the Krylon try, as the grand total of the refinish job was about $8.  So how does one go about such a task.  Well, I will relate the steps I took, most based of a super kewl guide on www.AR15.com, except they used Teflon paint which I am assuming is better then Krylon.

1)  First I disassembled the magazines (this is a freebie :p).

2)  I took my belt sander and sanded all of the funky crap that was left of the original finish on the magazines.  I realize that I should have taken a picture...  But I didn't think it was going to turn out.  So I didn't document that part.

3)  I washed the magazines in Simple Green with a tooth brush and then rinsed them out.

4)  I then stuck the magazines in the oven for 30 minuets at 300 degrees to dry out the water used to rinse them.

5)  After being dryed; I hung them up with Zip Ties on my laundry line in my back yard.

6)  I sprayed them with Krylon Gray Primer and then let them sit for the prescribed 2 hours.

7)  I then sprayed the magazines with the colors I desired; in this case Olive Drab and Black.

8)  After letting them sit for 24 hours (more like 12 hours, it was when I woke up :p), I put them in the oven for 30 minuets at 400 degrees to harden the paint.

9)  I did the same process with the magazine bottom plates as well.

10)  I cleaned the springs and replaced all the old school black followers with Magpul No Tilt followers.

11)  Happy with myself I took pictures and then created this little web article to share my findings with the "Cult of the Black Rifle".  Haven't taken them to the range yet, but I imagine they work better now with the Magpul followers then when they were beat up and had the black followers.

I hope this is informative.  Also, you should perhaps try the Teflon paint as well; I didn't know where to get some and so I went this route at the local Ace Hardware.

- Gazukull

Results below!

Link Posted: 9/9/2004 5:26:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Wow. you went thru alot of trouble. I just stuffed some newspaper in the follower to cover it and sprayed away. It has held up very well considering it took about 2 minutes to do.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top