Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/8/2005 11:32:06 AM EDT
I'd like a little help on removing a DD 12.0 FSPM BEFORE I begin.  Anyone have a link to some sort of instructions?

Let's assume I only have the DD to remove, no FSB etc.  I just want to know about the way the DD works- the alignment pins etc. or anything to watch out for...

thanks
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 11:40:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 11:48:48 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Strap wrench will come in handy, just make sure you are unscrewing the lock ring  With the upper secured in your vise or however you choose to secure it.  Turn the lock ring counterclockwise (looking at the forend from the rear) with the strap wrench, after the ring is loosened you should be able to remove with hand pressure.  Pull the tube off the front of the gun, don't lose the alignment pins as they are not captured.  

Then using your barrel wrench, loosen the barrel nut and remove along with the lock ring and you're done.

J

thanks.

I wanted to make sure nothing would go SPROING or some bullshit!!!

The rail unscrews from the barrel nut?  Are those pins depressed somehow or is it as simple as you made it?

what do those pins align?

I've got an upper receiver block, barrel extension wrench and heavy vice.  It's coming off tonight.

thanks...
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 2:18:46 PM EDT
[#3]
I put one of these on my rifles a couple months ago.  Easy - especially if I can figure it out.  

Basically the two (2) pins fit in holes in the DD barrel nut that correspond to holes in the rail itself.  The pins are two sizes - one size big enough to fit in the barrel nut, the other end goes in the rail.  They are not tapered, one end of the pin is bigger than the other - hard to explain, easy concept.  By lining up the gas tube, you will line up the pins - there are holes all around the barrel nut but there are only two holes in the rail that correspond to the 3 and 9 o'clock positions.  About the only thing that is difficult is trying to get your FSB on while the rail is basically laying on the barrel.  It is just an exercise in coordination...

Spooky
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 2:31:12 PM EDT
[#4]
I didn't get the last part there but I think you are referring to the front sight base and the FSPM sharing the same space.  No worries there-  my FSB is a set screw type and let's just say the 12.0 FSPM will become a 9.0 very soon...

Link Posted: 8/8/2005 3:02:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 4:26:27 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I didn't get the last part there but I think you are referring to the front sight base and the FSPM sharing the same space.  No worries there-  my FSB is a set screw type and let's just say the 12.0 FSPM will become a 9.0 very soon...

I bet you will have to pull the FSB off to get the 12.0 FSPM off and the new 9.0 rail on.  That's when it will start being a challenge to get the rail and FSB off at the same time.  With the 9.0 it will be really easy going back on...

Spooky
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 5:14:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Spooky-  thanks for the help, but like I said, I am not interested in the FSB.  I did have to remove it first, but I've been-there, done-that quite a few times with those F'ers.  My FSB needed a little twisting, but luckily no more than the DD would afford.  

Anyone have any use for 3" of DD rail?  Like I said, it will be coming off as a 12.0 FSPM, but it will be going back on as a 9.0.  I think I'm going to Hack the extra weight off.  

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 7:34:46 PM EDT
[#8]
HA!  

I did a little work after painstakingly deciding what I wanted and what I didn't want to have- and now, I have a DD 10.375 !!
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:35:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 6:18:21 AM EDT
[#10]
No problem.  Unfinished?  

I have to admit, I did a much better job than I originally thought I would.  I made my initial cuts, smothed over the areas and was pretty much done.  I thought I'd be grinding and smoothing over one side, then going to the other, taking off too much and having to go back and forth, from side to side, removing more and more and more.  

But, I didn't.  

I'll get pics up tonight of the black and chrome special edition 10 3/8" DD FSPM!!
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:22:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 11:04:48 AM EDT
[#12]
there is only a small amount of the forward-most tab on the left and right sides so that a panel will lock in place.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top