Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/9/2007 9:48:07 AM EDT
Has anyone or does anyone use a crosshair front sight post?

I want to keep simple open sights on my second upper and am not a big fan of the standard front sight post.
Link Posted: 11/9/2007 12:30:50 PM EDT
[#1]
A friend of mine got one and sold it because it covered too much of the target.
Link Posted: 11/9/2007 3:03:36 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
A friend of mine got one and sold it because it covered too much of the target.

I considered one as well but a buddy at the range told me he had the same issue. I went with the thinner (carbine size) KNS front post on my RRA Entry Tac and like it a lot more than the stock post!
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 12:07:16 PM EDT
[#3]
I just wanted to bump this again to try to get a few more first hand experiences.  They seem to review well on midway.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 12:56:30 PM EDT
[#4]
A standard front site post iw more than adequate for shots out to 600 yards.  The stuff KNS sells are gimmicks. Sure you want to focus on th front site but a crosshair? I've seen aperture sites on match rifles . Keep it simple with a post. Don't see a fornt site crosshair is going to make a difference.  I haven't seen one here on SPRs or DMR rifles. And in response to having one on a so-called National Match upper, first there never was a NM M16 built.  The term NM is a coined marketing term. The last national match rifles were built on M14s.  And even with the KNS crosshair site installed you can't shoot in service rifle categories IF you want to shoot in highpower matches.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 3:22:20 PM EDT
[#5]

...a crosshair site will cover too much of the target...

I'm not sure what crosshair sight he's talking about, but the KNS crosshairs are much thinner than the standard post. They can be hard to pick out in direct sunlight, but the hood can help with that, if you can pick your shooting position relative to the sun.

They can also be a little hard to see if you wear bifocals, but they do seem to help with targeting. As is the case with so many sighting tools, suitability is at least partly a product of personal preference.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 3:34:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Got one on my 20" NM setup, to try it.

Took it off cause I didn't like it, put it away.

Looked for it the other day to sell it.....didn't find it.

Not really heartbroken either
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 4:42:40 PM EDT
[#7]
I've used the hooded duplex and did not like it. Now I've got the standard non hooded on my iron sighted 3 gun rifle and love it. Awesome out to 400 yards and quick at 200 on 8 & 10" plates. The hooded shadowed it too much and the duplex crosshairs were distracting past 100 yards.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top