Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/5/2006 5:34:45 PM EDT
Cleaned the AR today after a range trip and being the smart guy that I am, I forgot to put the firing pin back in. After I moved the bolt a couple times to spread the lube, I noticed the bolt wasnt closing home. I've tried everything and don't know how the hell to fix it. The bolt is stuck in the "out" position from the bolt carrier if that helps. I can't open it up since it won't go all the way in and I can't take it out of the back with the stock out (wouldn't work anyway as I found out the hammer stops it from doing this...that bastard).

So please any help on what to do.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 5:45:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Can you pull the charging handle back some and rotate the bolt with something while the gun is pointed barrel up?
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 5:54:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Try doing a buttstroke to the ground while pulling back the charging handle. Just make sure you know where you're muzzle is ponting.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 5:55:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Nope. Do you know what might be stopping it?
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 6:03:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Cam pin rotated 90 degrees?
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 6:05:10 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Cam pin rotated 90 degrees?

That's what I'm guessing but I don't see any way of adjusting it
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 6:05:30 PM EDT
[#6]
pull takedown pins and wiggle the upper forward while going up. Might need a good smack or two. Keep the trigger pulled at the same time to allow the hammer to fall forward if possible to give the rear pin block room to move.

Sounds like without the firing pin the lug on the bolt is twisted and sticking in the slot.

You could also give the rifle a good smack on a piece of wood straight down to the floor to see if that drives the bolt carrier forward enough to take down the rifle.

That make sense? smacke the rifle muzzel first onto a block of soft wood....

Just idea.s
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 6:13:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Can you post a picture?
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 6:14:17 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
pull takedown pins and wiggle the upper forward while going up. Might need a good smack or two. Keep the trigger pulled at the same time to allow the hammer to fall forward if possible to give the rear pin block room to move.

Sounds like without the firing pin the lug on the bolt is twisted and sticking in the slot.

You could also give the rifle a good smack on a piece of wood straight down to the floor to see if that drives the bolt carrier forward enough to take down the rifle.

That make sense? smacke the rifle muzzel first onto a block of soft wood....

Just idea.s

You are my hero. Next time you come to FL, I'll buy you a beer. Don't know wtf happened. I was trying that and it felt like it was working. It stopped until I did the "pissed off frustrated shake" and it came undone. Cam pin wasn't turned or anything. I have no idea but thank the lord and yourself as you just ended 30 minutes of frustration

ETA: Now stay tuned for the "Is my barrel FUBAR" thread
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 6:39:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Dont forget to put the firing pin back in Glad you got it fixed.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top