Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/19/2005 4:19:56 PM EDT
I have put several coats of Alumahyde II on a Ace shorty stock over the past couple weeks.
Is is best to finish this off with a clearcoat of some kind or let it be? Do they even make a matte
clearcoat, I dont want it to be shiny. Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 12:56:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/21/2005 9:17:59 AM EDT by NickySantoro]
I don't think it's necessary. That stuff gets tougher the longer it's on, IMO.
YMMV
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 3:33:20 PM EDT
And I can tell you this from recent personal experience. What Brownell's calls matte clear coat Aluma Hyde is NOT matte finish. At best it's a semi gloss, and it looks crappy on anything you put it over.

If you want to put a little extra water resistance on your piece, go to Wal Mart and get a three dollar can of Krylon CrystalClear Acrylic, part #1313 clear satin. Sprays on easily, dries to the touch in 15 minutes, and won't hurt a durn thing. Water on it just forms droplets you can shake off.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 3:50:44 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:59:20 PM EDT

Originally Posted By shamayim:
And I can tell you this from recent personal experience. What Brownell's calls matte clear coat Aluma Hyde is NOT matte finish. At best it's a semi gloss, and it looks crappy on anything you put it over.

If you want to put a little extra water resistance on your piece, go to Wal Mart and get a three dollar can of Krylon CrystalClear Acrylic, part #1313 clear satin. Sprays on easily, dries to the touch in 15 minutes, and won't hurt a durn thing. Water on it just forms droplets you can shake off.

+1 on the so called matte clear coat Aluma Hyde II not being matte and looking bad.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 9:12:23 PM EDT
I used some Alumahyde II tonight. I don't think it needs anything further for protection, but a layer of clear would look better. I am going to try the Krylon CrystalClear sounds promising.
Top Top