BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/16/2009 5:18:09 PM EDT
Is the stuff usable in my AR variant?

http://image.sportsmansguide.com/dimage/156165_ts.JPG?cell=200,200&cvt=jpeg

The specs of this ammo is as follows. I have a 1000 rounds of this stuff, but I do not want to wreck my new gun over cheap ammo.

147-grain, Sellier & Bellot® manufacture, 1980-83 production. Brass-cased, corrosive, Berdan-primed, non-reloadable. 20 rds. / box. Muzzle Velocity: 2,700 F.P.S. Muzzle Energy: 2,363 ft.-lbs.

Should I keep this as SHTF usage only? The boxes smell very odd and some of the brass has what looks to be corrosion on it.

I went to my local Scheels store and bought them out of modern ammo, so I am not hurting for something to shoot in my gun that will be safe for it.

If you guys had a 1000 rounds of this stuff, what would you do with it?  I am afraid to store it with my GOOD ammo!

http://www.guns2roses.com/vbimages/cafe_n32.jpg
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 5:47:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Should I keep this as SHTF usage only?  

NO
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 5:55:02 PM EDT
[#2]
If that was my rifle... no I wouldn't use it, I'd sell it. The corrosion part is somewhat troublesome, but the brand of ammo is more troublesome. I seem to remember problems with S&B ammo from that era.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:16:53 PM EDT
[#3]
You will have to completely clean the whole rifle including the gas system with water or something to dissolve and wash away the corrosive salts. I'd would only shoot corrosive ammo in bolt gun or maybe an AK that I didn't care about. (I'm not bashing AK's I have a couple that I really like, and a POS WASR that I wouldn't mind shooting with corrosive ammo)

It's not corrosive till you shoot it so I wouldn't mind storing it with other ammo. I had some Korean corrosive 3006 ammo. I got tired of cleaning my Garand after I shot it so I pulled it down for the bullets and brass.

If you're seeing corrosion on the brass I'd take it out of the boxes and store it loose in an ammo can.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:18:26 PM EDT
[#4]
You could send it to me

I don't like corrosive in gas operated rifles. I would think cleaning a DI rifle like an AR properly after shooting that stuff would be a nightmare. Do you have a cheaper bolt action, like an FR8?
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:29:09 PM EDT
[#5]
I've gone thru about 2k of corrosive Yugo M67 ball (7.62x39) in my AKs.

I can strip the gas system completely on a AK to clean with water. No good way to do that I can think of with the AR.

Kinda like a M1 Carbine, don't shoot corrosive ammo in some rifles. BSW
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:15:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Why not shoot some and see what happens?  You can clean the bore and that gas tube is stainless.  Bolt carrier group isnt a big deal to clean up either.  Do it.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:41:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Why not shoot some and see what happens?  You can clean the bore and that gas tube is stainless.  Bolt carrier group isnt a big deal to clean up either.  Do it.

And the inside of the FSB is neither easy to get to, or stainless. BSW
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 11:31:28 PM EDT
[#8]

All those boxes makes a nice paperweight! lol

I am guessing my trade value is pretty much all in the gun and very little in the ammo.

For those not knowing I traded a 94 Winchester made in 1919 with about 40% bluing (not real pretty, but nice wood) all original, for the gun pictured.

I feel I almost stole it, and the ammo was also thrown in. But I am afraid to shoot it.

I guess I will sell it.

Question:  How do you dress up the posts around here?  I would like a custom avatar and a signature line listing some of my guns and lifetime NRA membership.

Thanks.  

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top