Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/10/2006 10:31:34 PM EDT
Any feedback or words of wisdom you could offer?
Can this be done?
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 10:58:41 PM EDT
[#1]
could but not pratical, heat transfer through the rings might cause a problem too.

look into the trijicon accupoint with larue spr ee mount.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 11:01:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Definately a valid concern.
I was thinking about high profile aluminum rings, and cross drilling the chit out of them to act as a heat-sink.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 11:04:51 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Definately a valid concern.
I was thinking about high profile aluminum rings, and cross drilling the chit out of them to act as a heat-sink.

the rings and alum scope body will act like a heatsink wether you like it or not.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 11:10:47 PM EDT
[#4]
You may be right.
I wonder how hot it will get, and how much a scope, such as a burris EER can take?
I was thinking about the Burris 2X-7X LRS E-Dot.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 5:45:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Since this is an all-Texican thread, I'll ask the obvious:  WHY?  When there are so many other ways to do this that would not introduce the possibility of frying your optic, knocking the gas block out of alignment with a giant hit-me magnet on top, or intentionally weakining your mounting system?  There's not a lot of meat on rings anyway, and if you go drilling holes through it, you are going to weaken it.
I just don't see the utility of doing what you describe when there are more easily obtainable and proven systems out there.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 6:49:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Why... well, as they say, why not?

I've never seen it before... and I also find the Jeff Cooper scout setup VERY fast to aquire targets with.
And, if the forces from a sling mount, or other various accesories mounted to the gas block doesnt take it out of allingment, I SERIOUSLY doubt that a scope will. As the unit is very robust, and the barrel is a heavy profile.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 6:53:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Just get a free float tube with a top rail?
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 7:12:11 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Oh, well using that logic...

I've never seen it before... and I also find the Jeff Cooper scout setup VERY fast to aquire targets with.

Then again, why not just get one of the existing setups that does the scout mount thing that attaches to the RAS units or a cantilever mount on the upper?

And, if the forces from a sling mount, or other various accesories mounted to the gas block doesnt take it out of allingment, I SERIOUSLY doubt that a scope will.

Depends on the block you are using.  Is it a setscrew or clamp type?  there have been problems with them getting pulled out of alignment from jsut the things you referenced.  That's without something as big as a scope on it.  So you SERIOUSLY doubt all you want, but there is a pretty good reason that as you yourself admit, you haven't seen this done before.

As the unit is very robust, and the barrel is a heavy profile.

What does the barrel profile have to do with it?
But hey, it sounds like you've got it all figured out, and are just looking for somebody to validate what you've already decided to do anyway.  Have fun.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 7:51:47 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

And, if the forces from a sling mount, or other various accesories mounted to the gas block doesnt take it out of allingment, I SERIOUSLY doubt that a scope will. As the unit is very robust, and the barrel is a heavy profile.

Been there, done it, and won't ever do it again.  I love my Scout rifles.  My Arf scout "build" was front heavy in a way that needed to be experienced.  And would NOT do a damn thing a low power scope mounted conventionally would do.

EVERY mounting method I used weighed about 10 ounces to get the LOS the right height above the bore.  Low rings won't work, obviously!  Add the Scope weight to that.  Imagine duct taping a 1.5 pound brick beneath your gas block.  How "fast" will your rifle now handle?

A Scout rifle uses a forward optic to achieve SEVERAL benefits, one of them being allowing easy and clear access to the chamber/breech.  Another is the ability to recharge the weapon using stripper clips.  Neither applies to the "systema Arf" at all.

Paladin
(gratuitous pic of "Deer Scout" and "Poodle Scout")
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 7:56:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Maybe a quad-rail handgaurd would be better...
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 10:58:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Really?
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 11:11:05 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Maybe a quad-rail handgaurd would be better...

How 'bout a "scout mount" for the AR15?

RRA makes one, and so does GG&G.  The expensive and awesome LaRue SPR-E could count too.

Specifically because of the design of the AR, you don't need a "scout scope" to do the "scout mount" thing, all you need is 4.5" or 5" of eye relief (Trijicon TR21 ) for the same scout scope benefits that you need a scout or pistol scope for on other rifles.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 3:05:49 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Really?

yes, and if I charge enough know-it-all tax in this thread... I should be able to save $200 for a quadrail.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 3:24:10 PM EDT
[#14]
I tried a handgun scope on my hand guard top rail and will never try it again.  It was of coarse barrel heavy, and it was very easy to lose the sight picture with movement.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 3:43:19 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Really?

yes, and if I charge enough know-it-all tax in this thread... I should be able to save $200 for a quadrail.

Oh, I'm sorry.  See, I thought when you said:

Any feedback or words of wisdom you could offer?

You actually wanted feedback.  
It would seem that as I posted, you already made up your mind, and are just looking form somebody to justify your decision.
Since you are obviously a n00b, here's some advice:
If you ask a question, you should expect an answer.  
You can act like a little smartass and talk about know-it-all tax.  That's fine rookie.  But it is obvious that those that have posted in reply to your question that you can't deal with an honest answer.
That kind of attitude will not get you very far on this board.  There are quite clearly a lot of people on this board that know a hell of a lot more than you.
It will be interesting to watch your future posts.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 4:42:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Mr. Sensitive,

It was a joke, your blowing up over nothing... you left the joke door open by saying 'really'.

Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:56:32 AM EDT
[#17]
My moment of temporary insanity is preserved for posterity on the web site of RB Precision.  Check their site in the industry listing.  Go to their "customer build" picture page, and scroll down about 2/3 to the bottom.

IMO, based on shooting/using conventional(?!) "Scout" rifles for about 9 years, the Arf Scout is the answer for a problem that does not exist, and it's down side of excess weight out front provides NO BENEFIT to the user, compared to essentials such as lighting devices, bipods, or lasers.

Regarding weight, please bear in mind that the previously shown "Deer Scout" in 7.62 NATO only weighs around 10.2 pounds, which makes a 9.5 pound "Arf Scout" quite an absurdity in inelegant design.

Paladin
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 7:11:57 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Mr. Sensitive,

It was a joke, your blowing up over nothing... you left the joke door open by saying 'really'.

Mr n00b,
Jokes are usually denoted by , ,, or similar emoticons.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 7:14:13 AM EDT
[#19]
I mounted a Scout scope out on a long ARMS rail (before all of the free-float tubes we have now) and hated it.  It made the AR entirely too nose-heavy and made it hard to shoot in an active environment.  I'll try and dig up some pics later.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 9:08:09 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Mr. Sensitive,

Mr n00b,
Jokes are usually denoted by hr

Really?
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top