Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/24/2009 1:17:08 AM EDT

I've long wanted an ACOG ... this new model seems to fit my "needs" perfectly.

1) - Where would I likely get the best price on this model? I know Trijicon gives sick discounts to FFLs ... is there any specific online dealer or industry partner here that sells ACOGs for reasonable prices?
2) - Does anyone have reticle pictures/personal experience with a green ACOG?
3) - Any reason I shouldn't go through with this?

I will be selling 2 Weaver Classic Extreme scopes, a 1.5-45 and a 2.5-10, both in LaRue SPR mounts, to pay for this consolidated optic ...

Link Posted: 7/28/2009 8:06:20 AM EDT
[#1]
I am considering the same one. Bump for opinions.
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 8:42:44 PM EDT
[#2]
what would the green donut look like in the jungle.....

truck is about 70 yds
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 4:03:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s231/rush2112-/AR15/TA11_reticle_1024.jpg

truck is about 70 yds

There is nothing in the jungle that would be as bright as the green fiber used in the ACOG.  This has been talked about before, the green is very bright and it not an issue with foliage.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 9:40:02 AM EDT
[#4]
My only experience was taking a close look at one at a shop.  The reticle was extremely bright in the arizona sunlight and still visible in the dark confines of the shop.  I loved it and am planning one buying one based on a comparison of the TA-33, TA31, and the TA11G that I did at the shop.  I was actually surprised they had one on the shelf,  it was listed around $1.2k IIRC.  The eye relief is forgiving and the green felt faster up close, at least for me.  After seeing it first hand I have no question that its the glass I want next. Well, thats only because it haven't seen the TR24G.  I regret not getting any reticle shots while I was there.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 11:13:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s231/rush2112-/AR15/TA11_reticle_1024.jpg

truck is about 70 yds

There is nothing in the jungle that would be as bright as the green fiber used in the ACOG.  This has been talked about before, the green is very bright and it not an issue with foliage.

I have not seen one, and somewhat recall reading no issues in foliage.
I live in the tropics, and if I had to bug out, we'd be in the jungle w/ Cpt Ron and the gorillas :)
I will agree that the reticle is very bright in sunlight, and sometimes I cover the fiber w/ electrical tape to reduce intensity

eta: I got my 11 w/ the Larue QD mount at Larue. I intended on getting the combo anyway, and Larue had a better deal than anyone else, + a dillo,.....
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 2:27:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Well, I bought one and it should be here Monday, so I will post pictures/review at that point.

Link Posted: 7/31/2009 4:55:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Well, I bought one and it should be here Monday, so I will post pictures/review at that point.

Ill be waiting.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 7:01:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Where did you get it from? Just wondering because I was looking into the same exact model.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 8:25:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Where did you get it from? Just wondering because I was looking into the same exact model.

Gunbroker, $1029
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 10:41:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Optic arrived today, man is it sweet ... On wednesday I will probably get some range time/reticle pics/review.

Link Posted: 8/6/2009 2:16:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Any pics yet?
Link Posted: 8/6/2009 3:13:30 PM EDT
[#12]
I have not been to the range yet, my 4XDOS is set to arrive from those crazy Texas boys tomorrow, and if there is still sunlight at that time I will get some pics ... if not, Saturday for sure.

I went in my back yard and snapped a few shitty pics though ... uploading.

ETA - Pics

These pics absolutely do not do the reticle justice ... in real life, the reticle is neon green, burning up my eye, way brighter than anything I put the reticle on ... but in the pictures, it gets kind of washed out, or looks like it blends in ... it doesn't, it's just the picture.

These pictures were taken at sunset, hopefully my daytime range pictures will be better ... but this should give you the overall idea at least.
Link Posted: 8/9/2009 6:45:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Would you mind posting a pic out of the manual which denotes all the points of aim for the donut?
Link Posted: 8/9/2009 1:51:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Definitely a nice piece of glass, congrats. Just out of curiosity, what are the reason(s) you chose the donut reticle over the chevron? Also what benefits does the green reticle color have over the red if any?

I'm looking to purchase my next ACOG, so I'm really interested in hearing anything and everything everyone has to say about the them; particularly the TA-11 model.

Thank you.
Link Posted: 8/9/2009 2:42:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks for the pics Duggan. I too am looking to buy my first ACOG and am especially interested in these green reticle versions. Keep us updated once you finally get to the range.
Link Posted: 8/9/2009 10:17:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Definitely a nice piece of glass, congrats. Just out of curiosity, what are the reason(s) you chose the donut reticle over the chevron? Also what benefits does the green reticle color have over the red if any?

I'm looking to purchase my next ACOG, so I'm really interested in hearing anything and everything everyone has to say about the them; particularly the TA-11 model.

Thank you.

The TA11 is definitely worlds better than the TA31s and TA01s as far as eye relief ... it's like double the eye relief.  It's enough to where eye relief is a non issue, as opposed to constantly having to almost press your eye on the back of the ACOG with the other models.

I chose a donut because I had heard great things about them, and I wanted to try one.  Having had limited time with both, the whole "binding aiming" thing seems to work better for me with a donut than with a chevron ... I chose a green donut because it was new, was said to be extremely bright, and because I like green more than red .  That said, the green is bad ass ... I would totally recommend.

Thus far, I am very happy with my purchase ... but I still have not even shot it yet.  I put it in it's larue 4xDOS today, and I'll get to the range on my next day off.
Link Posted: 8/11/2009 6:46:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Can we get a pic with it on your rifle?
Link Posted: 8/12/2009 4:36:56 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Can we get a pic with it on your rifle?

Just like this, but with an ACOG

(I'll take a pic at the range)

Link Posted: 8/12/2009 4:57:54 AM EDT
[#19]
Nice rig! Im waiting the range review.
Link Posted: 8/14/2009 12:04:11 PM EDT
[#20]
The BDC is calibrated for carry handle mounting using M193?
Link Posted: 8/14/2009 3:47:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
The BDC is calibrated for carry handle mounting using M193?

Not sure actually, I'll have to look.

I haven't read the manual yet, I'm still clueless about this thing.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 2:44:43 AM EDT
[#22]
I also have a TA11-G, got it about 2-3 months ago (right after it came out).  However, mine doesn't line up flush with the LaRue mount - it protrudes about a quarter-inch forward.  I measured the two holes at just under 1" and just under 1.25" from the ends of the mount.  Is my mount not right?  For some reason, I hoped it would be flush at the ends.  And... didn't mean to hijack the thread, I am just hoping the OP can show what his looks like on the LaRue.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 3:13:45 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I also have a TA11-G, got it about 2-3 months ago (right after it came out).  However, mine doesn't line up flush with the LaRue mount - it protrudes about a quarter-inch forward.  I measured the two holes at just under 1" and just under 1.25" from the ends of the mount.  Is my mount not right?  For some reason, I hoped it would be flush at the ends.  And... didn't mean to hijack the thread, I am just hoping the OP can show what his looks like on the LaRue.

FWIW, my 11F is "offset" about 1/8" forward in the LT-100, which doesn't really bother me.  Remember that the LT-100 is also designed to fit the 31's, etc., which probably explains the offset on the 11's.  There is nothing unusual about what you are describing.

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 3:02:45 AM EDT
[#24]
Thanks.  I was starting to get some kind of complex about it.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top