Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/30/2005 8:14:41 PM EDT
I am in the process of trying to find out the laws of Connecticut as far as selling a pre-ban AR-15 to someone who lives in Connecticut. Does anyone happen to know the laws reguarding that state?
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 8:15:55 PM EDT
[#1]
What kind is it
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 8:16:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes, these guys will be able to help you.

ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=8&f=26
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 8:20:10 PM EDT
[#3]
No Colt Sporter or Colt AR-15 marked AR's allowed in the state.

Any other brand  with a FH and Bayo Lug is OK as long as it is preban
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 8:25:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Thank you very much!!! No it's an Eagle Arms/Armalite pre-ban upper that I was selling. The laws in my state are hard enough to keep track of let alone other states. Thank you to all of you! Twitchy
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 8:28:11 PM EDT
[#5]
BTT. What I would like to see before buying a preban rifle in this state, is a written and sworn statement by the DOJ, ATF, etc. saying that it is legal.

I know it is, but I'd want it for extra insurance. Can't ever get too careful in this bloody state.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 8:34:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Blackjack272
Your state laws sounds as messed up as the ones here in Colorado. "Assault" rifles are not legal to own in the city of Denver but anywhere else in the state is ok. Even Denver based FFL dealers are not allowed to to transfers of such firearms or related equiptment. Sure makes my head spin trying to keep up with all the "laws"!
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 8:47:27 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
BTT. What I would like to see before buying a preban rifle in this state, is a written and sworn statement by the DOJ, ATF, etc. saying that it is legal.

I know it is, but I'd want it for extra insurance. Can't ever get too careful in this bloody state.

good luck with that one...

The ATF and DOJ have nothing to do with the CT law since it is a state law, so that eliminates those letters.

Maybe the DPS or the State Police, but not sure if they know what exactly the law is either.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 8:59:49 PM EDT
[#8]
That's what I was worried about. DPS don't know a damn thing as to the laws that are on the books right now. Most of the state cops don't, either, from what I've seen.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 9:07:18 PM EDT
[#9]
One time I called the weapons unit to ask them a question and the sargent said I don't think thats legal. I asked so your not sure then. His reply That they have a state reg book on all the laws and you can ask for a copy.True story .Right now it escapes me what my question was
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 9:08:06 PM EDT
[#10]
I purchased two bushy lowers (preban) that are verified by Bushmaster as preban and having been originally shipped as complete rifles.

As long as they are confirmed preban by the manufacturer, there is no problem.

Link Posted: 12/30/2005 9:29:40 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I purchased two bushy lowers (preban) that are verified by Bushmaster as preban and having been originally shipped as complete rifles.

As long as they are confirmed preban by the manufacturer, there is no problem.

Cool. Want to sell one to me?

Or at the very least point me to someone in CT I can do a face-to-face sale with?
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 7:46:44 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
No Colt Sporter or Colt AR-15 marked AR's allowed in the state.

Any other brand  with a FH and Bayo Lug is OK as long as it is preban

What?  Aren't the Colts made in Connecticut?  That is crazy...  
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:04:22 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Blackjack272
Your state laws sounds as messed up as the ones here in Colorado. "Assault" rifles are not legal to own in the city of Denver but anywhere else in the state is ok. Even Denver based FFL dealers are not allowed to to transfers of such firearms or related equiptment. Sure makes my head spin trying to keep up with all the "laws"!

Doesn't Colorado have a state  firearms pre-emption law?

Does Denver think it's above the law?

What happened to the lawsuit agaisnt Denver?

Fucking liberals.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:13:06 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Blackjack272

Doesn't Colorado have a state  firearms pre-emption law?

Does Denver think it's above the law?

What happened to the lawsuit agaisnt Denver?

Fucking liberals. hr

No Kidding! The lawsuit is still pending and being argued over. We all know that will take forever! Maybe my kids kids grandkids will see the light at the end of that tunnel.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:30:19 AM EDT
[#15]
I just bought a RRA 20" and the requirement that I was told was a pinned flash hider and a pinned buttstock.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 10:27:04 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I just bought a RRA 20" and the requirement that I was told was a pinned flash hider compensator and a pinned buttstock.

Fixed it for you.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 10:30:57 AM EDT
[#17]
My A2 flash hider had to be perm pinned, are you sure?
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 9:21:17 AM EDT
[#18]
Blue Genes,

The CT laws states that you cannot have a FH on any semi auto that takes a detachable mag.

Also, all postban semi auto (with detach mags) must have pinned comps, no flash hiders.

What you have is either a real A2 that is illegal or a A2 look a like that is actually a comp and does not hide the muzzle flash at all. either way, it must be pinned.

Here is an excerpt of the law
A semi-auto, detach magazine fed rifle would be considered an assault weapon (as per CT State Law) if two or more of these evil features are present:

(A) A semiautomatic rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least two of the following:

(i) A folding or telescoping stock;

(ii) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;

(iii) A bayonet mount;

(iv) A flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor; and

(v) A grenade launcher; or
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top